cct putting me off getting a vtr

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
balls

cct putting me off getting a vtr

Post by balls »

I am poised to get a Firestorm in the new year but this cct problem is starting too put me off the model. :?
Monkey!

Post by Monkey! »

Just get on with it and buy the bike if you like it!

I got mine (a 98 model that had 14000 on it) last year and put 2000 miles on it in the summer. As far as I know, the CCT's were original and they were not making any noise so I just got on with it. Great bike :D

I changed both CCT;s at a service last week- parts cost about £60 from David Silver Spares. The ones that came out were fine and it was just a precaution. It's an easy bike to work on, so DIY is definitely an option for anyone with a bit of knowhow.

Go on, listen to the voices!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Monkey!

I may be mad but at least I'm not dead. Yet. And long may that be so.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Please corrrect me if I am wrong but most of the CCT problems seem to be on pre 2000 bikes, is this right, if so try and buy as new as possible then no probs.
richard

Post by richard »

If you want one - try one there is nothing to fear :lol:

I bought mine as a random purchase with 24k on the clock and use it on the track and chase fireblades and r1's around on european holidays. So it gets some stick.

What you read on the forums here is a condensed version of real life, the bike has mostly honda quality but many of us had a diet of indestructable 4 cylinder jap bikes before the 'storm - so it comes as a bit of a shock. One friend of mine simply washes his fireblade once a year and considers that a service ! 8O and then thrashes around the nurburgring - you can't quite treat a storm like that.

The bike, with its V twin engine, has bags of character which is why i ride one, has a decent amount of power and is a good ride. And the sound with after market cans is better than sex. The number of my r1 / blade friends who want to have a go onto the 'storm during biking holidays speaks for it self - and while im then sat on their r1/blade it reminds me im not missing much apart from the power to wheelie in 5th gear !.

The down side are some vibes ( never really notcied...), the odd cough while idling ( not that common ) and the cct problem that will occur at some point - its just something you need to check once a year ( and when you see how the front cct is mounted to the top of the front cylinder you can see why it gets into trouble ).

Cct damage is either caused by the internal cct spring breaking and the tensioner backing off ( so lube it once a year and fit better springs for sale on here ) or the metal glove coming off the plunger with the chance of dropping into the engine ( you need to take out the cct's to make a visual inspection - no big deal, and replace the cct if it is getting sloppy. )

Hope that puts it into perspective.

rs
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

i got my storm as a winter bike,its got 66,000mls on it & ive done 6k on it since july,i like it that much ive sold my 1200 bandit to buy a summer storm,buy the storm...do it...do it.. :D
balls

Post by balls »

Looking at 2 at the moment 1 blue and a orange 1 both 1999 and both have around 13000 miles on the clock . both around 2k .
Thanks for all the feedback feel a bit better about it all now :roll:
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

AHHHH another convert about to join the fold ,,welcome my child..come join the bretheren of the storm.. welcome ............ :wink:
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

balls wrote:Looking at 2 at the moment 1 blue and a orange 1 both 1999 and both have around 13000 miles on the clock . both around 2k .
Thanks for all the feedback feel a bit better about it all now :roll:
Get the orange one......you'll feel better for it.
Rich.

cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

The man obviously has style and class, what other choice could he make?
Rich.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

This one here sounds like a bargain to me:-

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7948
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

way to think about it is:

who posts every other day going "ooo its great my bikes running fine and no ccts problems" ...answer...nobody that would be very dull!

People only tend to post here with CCT problems as they are trying to get them fixed

thus

as said above, reading a common problem here doesnt mean every bikes the same!

Plus read any other bike specific forum and you will realise whatever bike you buy they all have their own little problems, eg:zxr's and alternators, firestorms and cct's!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Beast

Post by Beast »

I have manual APE CCT's, 26k miles since and no problems. ;)
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I have manual APE CCT's, 26k miles since and no problems.
I'd like to fit these - how do you know when to adjust them though?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Stratman wrote:
I have manual APE CCT's, 26k miles since and no problems.
I'd like to fit these - how do you know when to adjust them though?
Dont know but the annodised red looks sexy! :-)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Just consider CCT's as a sevice item (they aren't normally) and get them changed every 12k service you have done.

Only adds about £50 to the service bill and you shouldn't ever have a problem that way.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.