Touring on Firestorm

General Biker Banter
evertonal

Touring on Firestorm

Post by evertonal »

New firestorm owner :D off to LeMans in April :D just wondering if anyone has any touring tips/advise :? about long Firestorm trips
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Yes. Take a spare petrol can!

I've done thousands of miles touring on mine - even fitted hard luggage once, but it was the range that always used to annoy me. I never found it uncomfortable for a whole day's riding.

Now I have a TDM900 as well for touring and with a tank range of 230 miles, plus a nice upright position, it is far better suited.

Still have the Storm for sunny Sundays and odd blasts mind - but if I could only keep one bike I'd keep the Storm. We've been together now for a very long while........
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Top gear.......steady 65 - 70 mph on motorway........you can get 50 mpg from the storm.........i know cos I done it when had regulater fault 300 miles from home..........its not fun but better than walking for petrol eh.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Bondy

Post by Bondy »

Next may im also plannin long distance ride. Cyprus to uk. Anyway i was chttin toa fela over here who did a uk to cyprus ride in three days!!! He sai he had o olems but wished he had time.
To stupid to live to young to die.
orangestorm

Post by orangestorm »

Hiya Mate I did Le Mans last year and as everyone says keeep an eye on the fuel....reckon I went thru eight tanks each way and was sweating on more than one occaision. That said it was a great trip ace roads no plod or cameras all the way...I,ll be back this year :lol: :lol:
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

There are loads of fuel stops in france most are less than 50 miles apart, the best tip i can offer is look out for signs for the supermarkets as the fuel sold there is usually a lot cheaper and some of these also have 24hr pumps,If you are camping
there is a nice little campsite in the village of boumont sur sarthe which is just slightly south of Le Mans (easy ride on the bike to & from the track)
(not sure if its open that early in the season though)
simon t

Post by simon t »

I put two litres in an old bleach bottle and carried it in a pannier. Didn't need to use it, but it was reassuring. Mine was a 16litre tank - if I'd had the 19litre tank I wouldn't have bothered.

ps the 24 hour stations don't always take Visa - sometimes just carte-bleu. Be warned!!
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Well, since I have spent quite some time on French roads every summer for last 6 years ( I think count is well over 35000 km in France), here is few tips.

1. Fuel stations in villages and supermarkets closing at 6-7 PM. There is card reader at stations nrmally, but very often it does not accept foreign credit cards. So, till 6 PM you are safe anyway. After 6-7 if you are desperate - wait at fuel station for somebody local to come to fill up and nicely offer him cash to fill you up with his card. Best working if local person are good looking girl :)
2. Fuel stops on toll road is 24/7 and cashier there to take your cash or credit card.
3. No cameras and no plod - well guys, you should look better :) Quite a few speed cameras on the way and around place, but with UK numberplate you are safe except if you get stopped by plice for other reason and during check-up found to have outstanding fines to your numberplate. If you flashed - they keep it in database for some time as "address unknown" offender.
Check for radars here:
http://www.radarsfixes.com/Carte.asp?a= ... arte.y=160

4. If you see french police - just slow down until they get bored and will shoot off. Never race with them.
5. In France it is obligatory to post warning sign few km before speed camera. But if you overtaking truck you can miss it etc.
6. With new air filter and 19 liter tank I never sweated about fuel during last 2 trips - 3700 km each. 200 km to reserve and 45+ km on reserve (reserve - easy on throttle).
7. Non-french car drivers often do not let bikes go between the lanes. French usually move to let you go.
8. Do not make too much appearance to a plod around Le Mans circuit itself. Lately they got bad habit of checking exhaust noise levels, thou usually they ignoring foreign numberplates.
9. Toll roads is not for touring, it is for moving object from point A to B in most boring manner. Get off toll roads if you want to tour France :wink:
10. Have fun! :lol: 1664 and Kronberg is piss of a beer compared to Belgian, but still - OK after day of riding :wink:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

. Have fun! 1664 and Kronberg is piss of a beer compared to Belgian, but still - OK after day of riding

Hee hee. Make mine a Leffe or a Trappiste beer - 8.5% and smoky as hell!

LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

As Stormtrooper says:-

"There are loads of fuel stops in france most are less than 50 miles apart, the best tip I can offer is look out for signs for the supermarkets as the fuel sold there is usually a lot cheaper and some of these also have 24hr pumps."

So basically fill up at every Supermarche and you'll be OK!!! :roll:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Whenever I've been in France on a Sunday afternoon, if I saw a petrol station after 70/80 miles I would always top up, just in case!

VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I regularly do trips of 1,000kms in a day. It's not uncomfortable for me, but I find the fuel range reasonable. You're looking to stretch your legs after two hours anyway.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?