VTR Speedo accuracy

General Bike chat
chrisk992003

VTR Speedo accuracy

Post by chrisk992003 »

I'm sure my speedo is under reading - travelling down the m4 everyone seems to be travelling at 90 and occasionally 100. I do the same journey in my car and things are a lot slower. I reckon I'm reading about +10mph

Anyone else have this problem and can you get it adjusted ?
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Your speedo may read under if you have a 15 tooth front sprocket instead of a 16 standard one. But only by a couple of mph.
Have you got the correct size rear tyre?

You can get a different reading between a brand new tyre and a very worn out one.

To check your speedo against the car or another bike travel a set distance in both and check distance traveledon the trip meter.
If your speedo is under reading you will have covered a greater distance than one reading corectly. The only 100% accurate speedos are in traffic police cars.

A freind has a 15t on his TLs and over 100 miles his bike reads 103 miles compared to my standard 16t bike
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I use a GPS to set all my speedo's up, see if you can borrow one from somebody, will be accurate to 0.01 mph.

Del.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Not up with this high tech stuff how do you do it with GPS
chrisk992003

Post by chrisk992003 »

Del - I suppose that means you can adjust the speedo - I'm guessing a screw on the back ?
andy c

Post by andy c »

I check the accuracy on all new bikes and cars by following a truck on a fastish road all large trucks have a speed limiter fitted accurate to 2% much more accurate than a speedo 10% and should be set to 56 mph max most vehicles ive driven / riden read about 60mph when following its not spot on but it gives you a good idea
t00lkit

Speed

Post by t00lkit »

May sound obviuos, but here goes..
How about getting a mate to drive down a section of Motorway/daul carriageway and agree a speed to drive/ride at. Say 70mph.
You can then see what you are reading and compare?
t00lkit
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I normally ride down the motorway at a constant speed and time how long it takes to do 1 mile according to those little marker posts at the side.
Then with the aid of my trusty Mr Men calculator and using the equation Speed = Distance / Time I can work out my actual speed versus my indicated speed
Then I normally have a lie down coz my brain hurts!!

Ben
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

well how about looking for a plod with a speed gun & nail it past him whilst
looking at the speedo then when & or if he catches you you will know how correct the speedo is... of course this method can prove costly :wink:
im usually (A) to busy looking where im going or (B) hanging on for my life to bother to much if the speedo is plus or minus 10%
just ride it 8)
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

Stormtrooper wrote: just ride it 8)

I agree... Just get on & give it some... 8O

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.