Cooling Fan not working

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rit

Cooling Fan not working

Post by Rit »

Greetings, i tried to search the forum for a similar topic but wasnt able to locate anything. Anyway my problem is that my coolong fan isnt working and the bike overheated today. I took the right fairing off to check wires and they all looked good. I checked the fan fuse and it was good also. I then saw what looks like a thermostat coming out of the radiator with one wire going to it, I unhooked this wire and touched it to a bolt and the fan started running. What is this part called so i can get it, if thats the problem. I assume it is because when i touch the wire to ground the fan works but it wont come on with wire hooked to this part attached to the radiator. When i called a local shop, they said it was a fan switch and not the thermostat? I dont have a owners manual so can someone tell me what the name of this part is so i dont get the wrong thing.
Thanks, Chris
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I can check later but whatever they call it it's the only thing that plugs into the radiator. You can test if yourself by boiling some water but ya also need a good thermometer to do it with or like ya say just get a new one. Have you checked the radiator coolant level, if that's low then the switch isn't going to work either?

Del.
bimble

Post by bimble »

it'll be the fan switch, thermostats dont have a wire, when the fan switch gets hot, it just switches to earth which is why fan works when wire is shorted to the engine
y2k storm, sp1 colours, art cans,..... who needs 4 cyls anyway !!!!!! and the zx9 is now a winter hack... update, zx9 is sold
Rit

Post by Rit »

Thank you very much, it was low on coolant and is working fine now. I really appreciate the help.

Chris
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Where did it all go then? it has lost quite a lot of coolant as the sender is very low in the radiator. Check it for the next couple of weeks when the bike is cold. Also when you top it up warm the bike up slightly until the radiator feel warm, do this with the cap off. Then top it up whilst holding about 3000rpm and pop the cap on at those revs. Also put a kink or clamp on the pipe that feeds the expansion tank whilst your filling it or you might just end up filling the bottle up.

Del.