What Exhaust Cans do you guys use, Fellow Storm Owners

General Bike chat
Taz69

What Exhaust Cans do you guys use, Fellow Storm Owners

Post by Taz69 »

Hi all,

Having just got my Yellow Storm 98, I have been thinking about different cans, possibly even High Level Cans.

Just wondering which cans are the favourites among storm owners ?

Main things are:

I am wondering if there are any cans that don't require re jetting for either running lean or rich etc.

Road legal but with a nice sound, even the possibility of being able to remove the baffles for ride outs etc.

Thanks in advance

Mark
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

You're spoilt for choice really

Nearly all recent cans are road legal with removable baffles, only older 2nd hand ones will be "not for road use" and baffleless.

There's usually a few on e-bay, but they are popular. Depends on your budget really

I like Blue Flame Evos as they have 4 ports, 4 baffles that are dead easy to fit/remove meaning you can have road legal, loud, or LOUD with all, 2 or no baffles in. Thats my personal taste.

Established brands like Micron, Blue Flame, Viper are, I reckon, the most popular but some excellent cans like MIG, JAC, MTC are available too and are excellent quality according to those that have them.

You can also get good deals on the most popular USA brands (Leo Vince and Two Brothers) as they're starting to stock more stuff in the UK
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Mine are the loudest in Oz :biggrin

Made by a company in Brisbane, who do export, called PipeMasters. The guy's been making custom exhausts for longer than I've been alive. I told him I wanted them loud enough for the cops to be on my doorstep before I'd make it out of the driveway.

He did a stirling job :D

I know they have a website, but I don't have it handy atm. Will have to google if you want to check it out further.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Thanks Kitch and VTRGirl,

How do things stand about the mixture, any need for re-jetting with road legal stuff, I seen recently in Ride I think, about cans making bikes such as the GSXR run lean, is this the same on the storm.

Regards

Mark
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

I fitted a set of Leo's SBK's. They're straight thru with no baffles and I had to re jet the carbs to bring the mixture back into line.

The way the bike rides is so different. I was amazed at how restrictive the standard cans are. Along with the rejeting I also binned the standard air filter and fitted a K&N which, no doubt, improved things.
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

I have a K&N Air Filter in there at the mo.

What sort of cost is Re-jetting peeps

Mark
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Depends how you go about it. If you go the whole hog and have it all done on a rolling road then lots. If you do it yourself its more time than money. Trick is knowing what size jets to put in there. The can manufacturers is a good place to start, that where I started.

I used a Co2 gas analyzer to check things were running ok, but a few miles of riding and a check on the plug colour will give a good indication of mixture.

You may be lucky and not need to re jet. I've had bikes in the past where I've fitted a can and nothing needed touching.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'd recommend Scorpion's as that's what I bought and fitted to my Storm.
IMO they are well made and fit really well, both lining up with each other, and level when you look at them from behind, which is more than can be said for some makes! Also their link pipes don't look like they've been made up from a few 90 degree bends they had kicking around the workshop floor.
Mine are race can's (straight through with no baffles) and I found that I did not need to alter the standard jetting, but I am using the standard air filter.

You can even have a listen to what they sound like on their site here:-

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/Bikes/ ... ne.php#bot
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Sirch, I was thinking about Scorpion cans, with the DB Killer in so I can choose if I want to wake the neighbours at 6am on a Sunday, lol

Where did you get yours from, are High Level Pipes available from Scorpion ?

Regards

Mark
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Taz69 wrote:Sirch, I was thinking about Scorpion cans, with the DB Killer in so I can choose if I want to wake the neighbours at 6am on a Sunday, lol

Where did you get yours from, are High Level Pipes available from Scorpion ?

Regards

Mark
Hi Mark,
I actually purchased mine from the NEC motorcycle show a few years back, and saved myself quite a few ££££'s. High level pipes are most definitely available from Scorpion as that's what mine are :!: I've just seen this page, it tells you most things, including find a dealer:-

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/Bikes/ ... p?model=18

HTH,

Chris.
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Hi Chris, I take it thats your bike in your avatar ?

Any chance of a bigger picture side on and from the rear if poss.

Thanks in advance

Mark
Ians98VTR

Post by Ians98VTR »

:lol: Totally agree with Chris scorpion cans,brilliant sound,fit perfect,well made,no set up required,and never need repacking,guaranteed 8) 8)
Wow! bet that can shift
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Non road legal

No adjustments necessary.

Like lots of volume

It must be ARTS.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

The VTR runs slightly rich on stock stuff, so a slight leaning out by a road legal race can shouldnt be a problem.

As you have a K&N and you're fitting an exhaust, it'll be well worth having a dyno set up done.

A dyno session and set up cost me £50. Might have to budget slightly more for some additional labour if you're having a jet kit fitted, which would be well worth it with your filter and cans.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Taz69 wrote:Hi Chris, I take it thats your bike in your avatar ?

Any chance of a bigger picture side on and from the rear if poss.

Thanks in advance

Mark
Yes Mark, you're right it is my bike in the avatar.

To be fair this picture isn't taken at the best angle for the can's, but it's the only one I could find fairly quickly :!:

Chris.