Security chains

General Bike chat
streetf2

Security chains

Post by streetf2 »

Trying to find best actual and best value security chains on the market.Does anyone have any advice.Just watched the almax video looks very impresive for there chains and doom and gloom for the likes of the oxford monster,and the python and so on.Suppose just what you would expect from a commercial. Is there claim of only hand bolt cropped chain a valid claim or does anyone know better.http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/[url] Sorry cant make the link work so if you want to take a look follow the link then go home page and play the video.
If it aint fixed don't break it.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Almax.

No question.

Nothing comes close.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Almax are definitely the puppies when it comes to ultimate security

HOWEVER
ultimate security is no use if it is impractical to take with you :?

As a garage security device it is brilliant, but due to its sheer size it is not practical to use as a day-to-day take anywhere with you chain

Monster is a bit more practical and as you can see from the video you would need a monster pair of croppers and MORE IMPORTANTLY a suitable floor to get enough leverage
Therefore if you locked the bike up properly (ie chain off the floor) the monster or even something lighter would be perfectly adequate
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Yes, any good chain will stop scrotes used properly, but the guys who turn up in vans will bring croppers.

Captain Cropper (the big guy in the Almax vids) has vids on youtube worth watching, including the hoodie scrotes who came a croppin late one evening.

My monster lives under the seat (heh heh) and is used when shopping etc, but the series 3 Almax is carriable too. It's just less hassle to keep it on my ground anchor, which means I always use it rather than not being bothered one time...

http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptainCropper
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
grinner

Post by grinner »

Bear in mind the vids were sponsered by Almax, and the only chain supplied by them was a 20mm one. The other manufacturers were asked to supply portable chains, not their most secure! (Typically 10mm!) There is only one bit of kit I know even the fire brigade can't get through, that's the Abus d-lock.

Good marketing though!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

The Almx vid is not over-hype
They got asked to stop demoing at the NEC as Oxford, Kryptonite etc all complained.
They took their top of the range "uncroppable" chains and trashed them

See these threads for more info
http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthr ... ight=almax

http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthr ... =almax+nec
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi,

For what it's worth, Abus does it for me (Abus Granite) - got big lock & chain, D-lock and disc lock by them.

Bit expensive but what price bike security.

Can't say I use them much though - Locked in secure garage at night and in a secure compound at work by day.

I would use all if I was going to be leaving it somewhere I didn't know for any length of time though!

When I'm out on it I'm either on it or it's usually parked with other bikes perhaps with the disc lock on.

Graeme