Time for a new cluth

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tinysmall

Time for a new cluth

Post by tinysmall »

Hi everyone. I know I haven't been on here for... well... a bloody long time. But that's because I've been out putting miles on the bike :)

It's getting time now to replace the clutch though as it's slipping like a fecker. Having been quoted £230 for parts from Honda (this is assuming that I have to replace the steel plates as well as friction), I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of this kit: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/vtr_1 ... rk_series/? Is it any good? Terrible? Worth it given that it's nearly £70 cheaper than the standard Honda parts?

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers: Matt
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Wicky

Re: Time for a new cluth

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

have a good look at it first.... if the metal plates arent blued and scored theyre ok, then its only about £80 for a set of ebc plates.
change the springs as well tho.

btw, if its slipping that bad take the slave off and check its not crammed with shite as that can cause slip.

and when did you last change the oil?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Changed the oil about 1500 miles ago and before I spend a penny I'm going to inspect every single plate. The cheaper the better... I am from Yorkshire after all :) It's not slipping when I change gear or pull away, just when I crack the throttle open(hence me not thinking about the slave). If I accelerate at a sensible speed, there is no slip, only when I open it up quick (which is more often than not). It's been doing it for a while and is gradually getting worse. It's also much worse when carrying a pillion.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

do a hunt on the net and find out the ebc part number.for the plates only.. i was looking for a set of plates for a zx7r and found that kx250 motox plates where the same..£19 for the full set..the japs use lots of parts accross lots of bikes..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Good tip :thumbup: I take it then that the EBC stuff is usually okay? I followed Wicky's link and searched on here for EBC clutch and all I came up with that was relevant was one thread where one person had had a problem and one person hadn't.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

As someone with close to 100K miles on the stock clutch I would say check the slave cyl. before you do anything else.

As counter intuitive as it sounds, if you get an air bubble in the slave, the clutch will slip when hot and under load.
There are a couple of "explanations" for this but for whatever reason, it does happen and I have had it happen to me.

I had the clutch pack off the bike at around 80K miles and was planning on changing the friction plates, just because.
Pulled it apart and the plates were still at 70-80% of new, so I replaced the springs and put it all back together and it was back to acting like a new clutch.

So I would say do a bit of inspection before you just buy some bit you might not need.....unless you just want to change them so you feel good.... :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

tinysmall wrote:Good tip :thumbup: I take it then that the EBC stuff is usually okay? I followed Wicky's link and searched on here for EBC clutch and all I came up with that was relevant was one thread where one person had had a problem and one person hadn't.
You have to be careful with some of the aftermarket clutch plates. Some will state that they are not to be used with synthetic oils.

So depending on what oil you run, they might cause issues.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Cheers guys. That's really helpful. I'll try the slave first as that's both free and easy :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tinysmall wrote:Cheers guys. That's really helpful. I'll try the slave first as that's both free and easy :thumbup:
sometimes the easy fix really does work :D . but on your question of ebc plates, iv used them many times on all mannor of engines and had no problems with them...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

do a hunt on the net and find out the ebc part number.for the plates only.. i was looking for a set of plates for a zx7r and found that kx250 motox plates where the same..£19 for the full set..the japs use lots of parts accross lots of bikes
It's amazing isn't it. I was looking at aftermarket tail tidy's on ebay the other day. I saw the exact same tail tidy for one bike and then saw it listed for a BMW, and because it was aimed at the BMW market the price was 3 times as much. What a bloody rip off.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
seb421

Post by seb421 »

EBC Street racing clutch and Springs kit are good and not a bad price either

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

cybercarl wrote:
do a hunt on the net and find out the ebc part number.for the plates only.. i was looking for a set of plates for a zx7r and found that kx250 motox plates where the same..£19 for the full set..the japs use lots of parts accross lots of bikes
It's amazing isn't it. I was looking at aftermarket tail tidy's on ebay the other day. I saw the exact same tail tidy for one bike and then saw it listed for a BMW, and because it was aimed at the BMW market the price was 3 times as much. What a bloody rip off.

(:-})

it makes finding parts easy,sometimes. :clap: .vtr plates are only shared it seems by xl1000 and cb1300 so honda arnt as good/bad at it as the others. engine and chassis parts are shared more than folk think when you dig into jap bikes which can be handy....for instance i used to,many years ago race 200 yamahas which ran a yamaha twin engine.kawaski pistons ,kawasaki clutch. honda gears and conrods with suzuki oil seals lol....
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

My cluth started to slip under high loads when I tried halfords semi synth oil. It was cured when I went Bach to castrol semi.
AMcQ