VTR Handlebar Risers!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
LotusSevenMan

VTR Handlebar Risers!

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Ok, so I'm a tall lad who gets wrist ache (oy, no rude comments) after the first refuel etc.
So I have been investigating the possibility of fitting risers etc. Would be nice to have the later black bars but not everyone can find these cheap (unlike Sirch345 did :) ).
The GenMar ones from the States seem to go for around the 80-90ukp which seemed a lot.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

The Helibars new angled handlebars are about 210ukp as are new Honda black bars.

So I had a look for some second hand ones.
Good old eBay!
Found a chap selling these new. I decided to buy direct and saved a bundle over the auction end price as he manufactures them himself. They arrived within two days of paying by PayPal. Nicely machined and easy to fit except for one thing. The socket cap bolt (allen bolt) that is used to locate in the yoke is too large as standard. I had to grind it down to allow it to fit as the original Honda lug on the clip-on is tapered. Not difficult but just a nuisance. He has since contacted me to say they were a new batch of bolts and they must have a different size head from the originals as they fitted OK.
Once fitted they do feel different straight away. A 19mm rise might not seem a lot but it definitely DOES feel better. There is a slight touch of the switchgear (headlight rocker switch) but acceptable as only on full lock and just a brush with the fairing really. Not rode it yet but looking forward to it!!!!

Cost? Well 37.50ukp inc postage seems good to me :)

The first pic shows the items on the left side as they are on the bike and the right the undersides of them showing the offending socket cap bolt that had to be 'modified'.

The guy goes under the name of Barry.
Contact is via barrygbm@hotmail.com

Worth mentioning you got this info via this VTR site too!

Below is the latest of the eBay adverts I first saw. You might get lucky and get them cheaper than I did but the last set on auction went to 48ukp + 6ukp postage! 8O

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H-BAR-RISER-VFR75 ... dZViewItem
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice one LotusSevenMan :!: I think you did well there price wise :!: Good pics as well, they look good, and are machined nicely, bling bling 8) 8)

I'll be interested too hear your opinion on them, obviously when the weather permits.
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

sorry mate..i bought them years ago...they didnt make any difference whatsoever...got ripped off too..cost me about 50quid in the end. :o :x
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

tony.wilde1 wrote:they didnt make any difference whatsoever...got ripped off too..cost me about 50quid in the end. :o :x
Sorry to hear that! Some guy's just paid 54ukp inc postage on fleabay and you can always sell yours on eh?

Well I went out for a quick ride between downpours here last night so can't say what the difference is over the ninety miles plus range, but no doubt to me the bike feels different. Might sound strange but it's more like the seat has been lowered a bit into the bike rather than the bars being higher. Might not work for everyone but worth the payment for me!!!!
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

What the out come?
Any more outings?
I'm 6.3 and have wrist trouble on the Firestorm, so I'm interested in you test

styler
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Went out yesterday and found it made a did make a difference. Only did about a half tank of fuel (about 50 miles) but with a lot less wrist ache though not completely cured it. It WAS noticeably a lot better though and worth that payment. Suddenly feel that the bike is getting a better 'fit' for me if you know what I mean. Felt really good yesterday. Weather nice and heated grips on. Ah, bliss.
I will start another thread soon of mods made over the std bike and what others have added as my list is getting quite long!!!
Compare the pic below with std bars position. It may only be 19mm but I have pulled the bars back a fraction too as the riser kit allows for that. You can't come too far back or you will trap your hand against the tank on full lock. You can push 'em forward a bit to if so required.

One Happy (old) Bunny!!!
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

got them on mine

no more wrist ache, especially when at low speed and all your weight is on your wrists

cost about £40, and took about 20mins to fit, v.happy
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LotusSevenMan, I was interested too hear your opinion on the bar risers and pleased too hear you're happy with them :!: 8)

Reading your list of mods I see you have a 6mm spacer under the rear shock, just in-case you hadn't realised, that will have raised the rear considerably and consequently have placed more of your weight on the handlebars, which means more wrist ache :!:

Chris.
Styler4077

SH 1T You must be my long lost BRUVER

Post by Styler4077 »

Well what do you all think?

Same hair, same bike............

No offence

Stephen
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8O 8O SPOOKY :lol: :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Holy Sh!T
I hope that's not Twinny& Kaz in drag 8O 8O 8O

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.l
Uncanny boys...er do you both know who your fathers are? (No offence ment ....just..curious)
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Hi Bro !!!! Ha ha

Sirch345

Bike came with this mod so no 'before and after' tests so far. I wouldn't want the seat height any lower though what with my 32" inside leg etc etc.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LotusSevenMan wrote: Sirch345

Bike came with this mod so no 'before and after' tests so far. I wouldn't want the seat height any lower though what with my 32" inside leg etc etc.
I would agree with you there :!:
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Went for the whole hog on my Storm and fitted the Renthal low rise bars.

On reflextion a 19mm rise may have made the difference.

Thought I read somewhere that the earlier storms had lower bars.

Interestingly the bars on my SP1 seem more comfortable than the Storm did - although the pegs are higher and the seats a plank!
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.