RedstormV, you might like .....Arran,Inverary,Campbeltown

General Biker Banter
bikerpiker

RedstormV, you might like .....Arran,Inverary,Campbeltown

Post by bikerpiker »

At risk of boring you guys to fek, heres my usual stomping ground for ride-outs , if any of you do watch it :roll: and are not interested in Glasgow shipyard history ,nuclear subs etc , then fast forward till around 15 mins onwards for the scenery :!:
Ive had many a good wee night in Inveraray :)

Clicky 'ere ....http://video.stv.tv/bc/programmes-edge- ... d-s01-e01/
Stevie
stormingjoe

Re: RedstormV, you might like .....Arran,Inverary,Campbelto

Post by stormingjoe »

that is a nice ride on the roads in your title, can keep it coastal on the west as you head back up to Oban. :biggrin
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

stormingjoe wrote:that is a nice ride on the roads in your title, can keep it coastal on the west as you head back up to Oban. :biggrin
Aye..its probably our usual run for a day trip ,from here to Oban is maybe 110 miles,but theres loads of good places to stop for a walk around,so it doesnt really seem as far. Usually loads of bikes parked up in Oban,a popular place for a ride-out :!:
Taken from Pulpit Hill ,Viewpoint above Oban.
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That looks good to me Stevie :!: :D

Chris.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Thanks Stevie,

It reminds me of what I've missed since August '07 :roll:

Ahhh Dumbarton, Arrochar, Loch Fyne, Inverary, Ardrishaig, Campbeltown! - that's the order I like to see them in :wink:

Watched it all the way through though & only the places in Ayr were 'foreign' to me, as I've not explored that area - yet.

Some interesting facts too even though some may be out of date as it said.

Strange how he mentioned the Vikings dragging their boats overland from Loch Tarbet to Loch Fyne, but not the reason they did it - seems pointless, the one without the other!

Cheers Stevie,

I'm off for a cry now! :sad2
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Niiiiiice :D

Ever rode the road that runs around Loch Leven? Seriously good and intense, although be careful as there's some drops on the south side and some risk of getting wet if you mess up on the north side...!

Keep meaning to venture waaay up into the highlands for a week. The scenery there is incredible.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
tosh23

Post by tosh23 »

Hi guys, I haven't been around that area for a couple of years now and was hoping to go up this year...Glasgow to campbeltown. I live i Hull now, So I was wondering what the A82 for Glasgow to campbelltown is like for cops and speed cameras.Fixed or mobile ?
Obviously slow right down through the towns and villages but as for the rest of the route ?? :wink2
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Hi mate
the A82 continues continues right up Loch Lomondside and right up to Glencoe/Fort William ,...for Campbeltown you need to turn off halfway up Loch Lomond at Tarbet for the A83 .

I use that route a lot, usually we do see police patrolling the Loch Lomond area and as far as Inveraray, but not much after that as most bikers would turn off at Inveraray and head north towards the Oban/Glencoe/Fort William road,instead of carrying on through Inveraray and down to Campbeltown :!:

And remember after Inveraray its still 70 odd miles of great road till you reach Campbeltown :D ......hard to believe but Campbeltown is actually far more southern than Berwick-upon -tweed in England :!: :!:

From where i live i'd bypass Glasgow and join the A82 at Dumbarton, via the Erskine Bridge ,i think there is poss one fixed camera at Dumbarton ,and none after that on the whole route :!:

A variation on this route would be avoid Glasgow area,instead use Carlisle Dumfries to Stranraer,up Ayrshire coast to Gourock ,short cheap ferry ride to Dunoon ,then onto Inveraray ,you could come home via Isle of Arran :)
Stevie
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

You could carry on up the top of Loch Lomond to Crianlarich then cut across for Oban, still a good road (for bikes) but not as scenic as the route via Rest & Be Thankful imo.

It's a bit of a long way round for Campbeltown though.

Going to have to get the bikes up there - hopefully this year - maybe we'll just have to head up wi the tent for a few days.

Oh, btw, what I meant by the order I like to do them in is that I don't like doing them in the reverse order as it means I'm leaving my 'spiritual home' back towards England :sad2
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Graeme,
aye,thats another way , Crianlarich to Oban then the coast road south to Lochgilphead 8) ,as you say its a roonaboot road to get to Campbeltown ,but from Oban to onwards past Crinan etc, its very scenic indeed :)
Roll on Summer :roll:......pics from 2 years ago :!:

Crinan

Campbeltown
Stevie
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

firestorm996 wrote:Niiiiiice :D

Ever rode the road that runs around Loch Leven? Seriously good and intense, although be careful as there's some drops on the south side and some risk of getting wet if you mess up on the north side...!

Keep meaning to venture waaay up into the highlands for a week. The scenery there is incredible.
Nope , ive never done that road on a bike mate, wondering if you're talking about the Loch Leven in Tayside (Trout Fishery) ,or the Loch Leven at Glencoe village (Tidal sea loch) :?
Stevie