HID headlight, are they safe?

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

HID headlight, are they safe?

Post by sirch345 »

I've been looking into the HID headlight conversion that some of you have done to your bikes. I have also received some descent info from some members ta.

Unless I'm missing something here, what concerns me as I understand it, is that an HID bulb doesn't have two filaments like a normal bulb. So if the HID bulb packs up you'll not be able to switch on to dip or vise-versa in an instant to see where you are going. So basically if a failure should happen on a unlit back road you'll be in the dark, as I doubt that standard position (side) light on our Firestorm's will be enough to see with. To me that sounds like a accident waiting to happen :?:

Obviously with cars running HID lights you have two lights, so if one fails you would still have the second one lighting up the road. The same would apply for bikes that have two HID units fitted, but for bikes with just the one unit that could be catastrophic surely :?:

Chris.
JohnD

Re: HID headlight, are they safe?

Post by JohnD »

my HID bulbs have x2 filaments... I know this cos my full beam one recently failed.

John
grimley59

Post by grimley59 »

Ironically I had a wire short out at night (underneath the instruments) and left me with no lights on an unlit twisty road and that was a normal bulb, fortunately there was enough moonlight to see the road to slow down. The HIDS bulbs have a much longer life and are not susceptible to vibration and apparently are more likely to fail when first igniting. Shane Cooper who fits the HIDS4U system says he has never had one fail and for that reason steers people away from the cheaper ebay type kits. I would agree that you only have 1 bulb and therefore there is a possibility of failure, though I think it is pretty slim (touch wood). But if you can get a HIDS with seperate elemants 'bobs yer uncle'. It is quite possible to replace a blown HIDS with a standard bulb at the roadside if it were to fail.

cheers
gra
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Here is an alternative for you:
http://www.easternbeaver.com/

While perhaps not quite up to HID standards, it is said to significantly improve the stock lighting, all at a reasonable price.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

mik_str wrote:Here is an alternative for you:
Got me all excited then, what with living in Norfolk....
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Stratman wrote:
mik_str wrote:Here is an alternative for you:
Got me all excited then, what with living in Norfolk....
Me too , i was scared to click on the link with the wife sitting here :lol:
Stevie
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

I always carry a spare just in case, although i have two already so if they both go i must be really unlucky - like having your new bike throw a gear tooth after only 500 miles of riding :evil:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Some very good points there guy's :!: I'm still not sure I swap my twin filament bulb though. Have you ever tried changing a headlight bulb on a Storm in the dark, it's not that easy I can tell you, especially if that wire clip decides to fall off :!:
JohnD wrote:my HID bulbs have x2 filaments... I know this cos my full beam one recently failed.

John
IMHO your set-up John doesn't sound like a full HID light to me. The principal set up of a HID bulb is completely different to a conventional type bulb

Micky (mik_str) I've seen that link before and I've tried a direct feed from the battery to the headlight, personally (unless your wiring is different than our UK models) I don't think it makes that much difference. It does help slightly I agree, but IMHO not that much. Have you done that mod on your bike :?:

The best up grade I've seen lately (totally illegal over here) was an H4 headlamp bulb with 160 watt main beam and 100 watt dip :!: :biggrin

Chris.

PS. Trust you two, Paul and Stevie to think that :!: :lol:
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

sirch345 wrote:
JohnD wrote:my HID bulbs have x2 filaments... I know this cos my full beam one recently failed.

John
IMHO your set-up John doesn't sound like a full HID light to me. The principal set up of a HID bulb is completely different to a conventional type bulb
Doh! You are absolutely right... I just have Xenon bulbs... sorry got a bit muddled :oops:

I'll get my coat then shall I?

John
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

JohnD wrote:
sirch345 wrote:

John
Doh! You are absolutely right... I just have Xenon bulbs... sorry got a bit muddled :oops:

I'll get my coat then shall I?

John
No need to get your coat John, I've even seen Xenon bulbs advertised with HID mentioned in the advert. I bit of a sales gimmick I think :wink:

Chris.
firestarter1977

Post by firestarter1977 »

chris

where can we find them 160 watt bulbs?

i got the xenon bulb and its still poor !!

regards mark

the thunder rolls on!!!
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

I am running a Bi-xenon hid retro fit in my storm and what you are saying is correct. If the bulb goes then all light is lost apart from the little sidelight not much use on a dark country road i suppose. On the other hand the increase in light output i get from my conversion far outweights the risk of the bulb blowing whilst riding. I think that as been said before if the bulb is going to blow then it will go when first turned on. On the same scheme of thinking maybe a fuse blowing or a tyre blow out could have the same effect i.e a crash. As for the hid upgrade kits go i have been there and done that and would recommend people to stay clear of them as blinding oncoming drivers and having them nearly crash into you is not nice. Also heard that higher wattage bulbs can melt the headlight not sure on how true this is but seems feasable due to the headlught being mainly plastic. Think i will stick to my retro fit for now. :D
firestarter1977

steve

am still considering the hid mod. how did you manage to get the correct adjustment with the conversion ?

regards mark

the thunder rolls on!!!
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

firestarter1977 wrote:steve

am still considering the hid mod. how did you manage to get the correct adjustment with the conversion ?

regards mark
Its quite easy really just fit the back part of the headlight onto the bike with the projector fitted but not secure. Then its just a case of adjusting the mounts on the projector to get the cut off straight. It does not have to be perfect at this point because you will still have the original adjusters to fine tune it afterwards.Took maybe ten minutes of playing to get it right but its well worth it.
firestarter1977

nice one steve

i have a local mot'er that would let me use his device for setting it up perfect.

some more food for thought !!

cheers mark

the thunder rolls on!!!