Brands Hatch GP Trackday - NEW DATE - Mon 24th August 2009

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

JohnD

Brands Hatch GP Trackday - NEW DATE - Mon 24th August 2009

Post by JohnD »

After a very difficult start to the year for me (financially)... I finally managed to scrape together some cash for my first trackday of this year.

Brands GP circuit on 26th June:

http://www.focusedevents.com/event_info.asp?ID=1002

Any other stormers interested? Would be great to meet some of ya!

Have done the GP circuit once before & it is a cracker :D

cheers
John
Last edited by JohnD on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Re: Brands Hatch GP Trackday - 26th June 2009

Post by tony.mon »

Still in my "difficult year" as currently seeking gainful employment, would have joined you otherwise.
But if things turn round, maybe.

But if you need a place to stay, I'm only 15 mins away from the circuit.

Plenty of room for a tent, and secure parking.

Also workshop facilities!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

tony.mon wrote: But if you need a place to stay, I'm only 15 mins away from the circuit.
Cheers for the offer Tony, but I'm only 30 mins away myself (south london!)

...& hopefully won't be needing any workshop facilities - but it has been known :oops:

Any other takers? How about Gilson on his new SP2 :wink: ...I know you're partial (like myself) to a trackday or ten!

John
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No worries. Was that you on the Mayday yesterday?
Saw a tidy black one at the Little Chef.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

tony.mon wrote:No worries. Was that you on the Mayday yesterday?
Saw a tidy black one at the Little Chef.
No mate. T'was not me... was working in town on monday!
gilson

Post by gilson »

JohnD wrote:
tony.mon wrote: But if you need a place to stay, I'm only 15 mins away from the circuit.
Cheers for the offer Tony, but I'm only 30 mins away myself (south london!)

...& hopefully won't be needing any workshop facilities - but it has been known :oops:

Any other takers? How about Gilson on his new SP2 :wink: ...I know you're partial (like myself) to a trackday or ten!

John
Hi John,

Would love to and aimed for this at the start of the year as I've never done the GP circuit. But alas, I'm on holiday that day, (that and my mates feeling the pinch)... wouldn't take my SP2 on it though, only ust got the fairing fixed.

I've yet to put Kingsters Moriwaki tuned Engine in my firestorm track bike!! Oh yes, I bought that from the gent and aim to put it in for end of June (Californian Super Bike school - got to learn how to use it all now!).

Yes, I have been spending stupid amounts of money recently.....
No bike (yet).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good thing the rain held off.........
So how did it go?
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

tony.mon wrote:Good thing the rain held off.........
So how did it go?
Was superb thanks! Took a bit of time to get reaquainted with the GP circuit... but by the last few sessions I was flying :D

First time on track with my new maxton shock... which made a huge difference, & also the +2 tooth rear sprocket really helped with out-accelerating sports bikes :o

All in all a good day - The GP circuit really is a winner - the whole of back section is so fast it's untrue... :eek2

Nice of you to pop down too Tony.... I finally got to meet someone from here!!!!

cheers
John
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yeah, you were looking good! (and sounding better than all except the 1098, IMHO)

Off the edge of the rear, I'm impressed to see.

Was tempted to get on a track day myself, but failed the noise test- 107.6Db :D
Luckily, no noise limits on the drag strip :D :D :D so August 6-9 at the Bulldog is still on.
hondasrock

Post by hondasrock »

JohnD wrote:After a very difficult start to the year for me (financially)... I finally managed to scrape together some cash for my first trackday of this year.

Brands GP circuit on 26th June:

http://www.focusedevents.com/event_info.asp?ID=1002

Any other stormers interested? Would be great to meet some of ya!

Have done the GP circuit once before & it is a cracker :D

cheers
John
Mate if i'd have found this forum earlier I would have popped down, good to know there are some fairly local stormers (kinda). how is the storm on track, only done a couple and that was on my CBR 600 RR so quite keen to give it a go :P got any pics of your day?
HONDA Firestorm............your all TORQUE you are!
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Storm is a great bike on track IMO... but I would recommend spending some cash to sort the forks & shock if you can.... then slap a rear shock spacer in there to sharpen the handling even more & bobs your uncle !!
hondasrock

Post by hondasrock »

JohnD wrote:Storm is a great bike on track IMO... but I would recommend spending some cash to sort the forks & shock if you can.... then slap a rear shock spacer in there to sharpen the handling even more & bobs your uncle !!
ah yes....... cash, i remember that :lol:
gilson

Post by gilson »

JohnD wrote:Storm is a great bike on track IMO... but I would recommend spending some cash to sort the forks & shock if you can.... then slap a rear shock spacer in there to sharpen the handling even more & bobs your uncle !!
I second that, very under-rated.

I have a dedicated firestorm track bike and it is excellent, for the money there is none better. Yes, suspension needs a tweak to get the best, but even in standard form, with the front wound in to max, I reckon it still is excellent. Until recently my firestorm had standard front forks and engine. Did I ever bottom it out on braking, no, did I ever reach the engine's maximum potential, double no. Does that stop me upgrading the forks and engine... double no again! ;-) Mind you, I'm not that good a rider, inters at best.

The key is corner speed and the firestorm with it's torque means you can concentrate on going around the corner rather than what gear you are in. IMHO, the money is better spent on a training school before upgrading the suspension...350 couldn't buy you a decent shock, (well it might second hand), but that would increase your rider skill massively.

I've done the indy several times and thinking about the GP circuit on the 14th Sept.

All the best
No bike (yet).
hondasrock

Post by hondasrock »

gilson wrote:
I second that, very under-rated.

I have a dedicated firestorm track bike and it is excellent, for the money there is none better. Yes, suspension needs a tweak to get the best, but even in standard form, with the front wound in to max, I reckon it still is excellent. Until recently my firestorm had standard front forks and engine. Did I ever bottom it out on braking, no, did I ever reach the engine's maximum potential, double no. Does that stop me upgrading the forks and engine... double no again! ;-) Mind you, I'm not that good a rider, inters at best.

The key is corner speed and the firestorm with it's torque means you can concentrate on going around the corner rather than what gear you are in. IMHO, the money is better spent on a training school before upgrading the suspension...350 couldn't buy you a decent shock, (well it might second hand), but that would increase your rider skill massively.

I've done the indy several times and thinking about the GP circuit on the 14th Sept.

All the best
sounds like I should enjoy it, have done brands indy twice-loved it, paddock hill bend....like falling off the end of the world, have also done snetterton.... the back straight is mad. Think your right about training, i'm a very average rider, still waiting to get me knee down and only done novice (never the slowest tho :wink: ) and so spending money on susp, mods would be waisted on me, especially for the number of track days I do.
gilson

Post by gilson »

[/quote]
sounds like I should enjoy it, have done brands indy twice-loved it, paddock hill bend....like falling off the end of the world, have also done snetterton.... the back straight is mad. Think your right about training, i'm a very average rider, still waiting to get me knee down and only done novice (never the slowest tho :wink: ) and so spending money on susp, mods would be waisted on me, especially for the number of track days I do.[/quote]

I was considering myself pretty good rider in the inters, knee down relatively easily (which is a doubtful marker of rider skill), then that day at the Californian superbike school put me right. I realised that I was leaning over too much, taking the corner in a sweeping line and hanging off more to get that knee down. All very dangerous and I only now know it resulted in a couple of crashes. Hey ho, it's easier to blame something else, which I did at least once.

You have to be careful with the storm on the 3rd gear no brakes session (see other post from Beamish in the bike talk section), but nevertheless, a truely great day. Money well spent. That said, the Storm is a great bike for the track....
No bike (yet).