What a great Bank Holiday weekend......... not

General Bike chat
Seeker 77

What a great Bank Holiday weekend......... not

Post by Seeker 77 »

Well it has been a Bank Holiday over in Germany so, with all the parts arrived, i thought i would settle down with the TL and get the engine rebuilt. All went just fine on Saturday, engine rebuilt. Sunday i dropped it back in. That evening fired it up, big coolant leak @*!$%&@. Found the leak, repaired it, spot an oil leak under the filter. Tighten filter, job done. Another leak by the clutch cover, re-seat gasket, job done. Leak from the front cylinder head, oh f@%*. Whilst rebuilding it i hung one of those clip things that has a bendy piece of wire attached to bundle wires, over one of the bolts, and forgot to take it out when putting it back together. butt.

Undid a load of bolts and exhaust bits and throttle bodies, got a dremel in there and cut through it. Pulled it out but in the process broke the seal on the gasket and a load of coolant leaked out, no dramas, topped it up. Refit everything and got some silicone on the join, just to make sure. Fire it up (still haven't tested the gearbox yet mind) and the thing held, no leaks - so looking good (we are on Monday morning now). Check the fluid levels again before putting the fairings back on - milk in the oil f*@%$£.

When i broke the seal of the cylinder head, it obviously allowed coolant to enter the oil system. Took the clutch cover off and the stuff is everywhere, stuck to every surface i could see. Thought to hell with it and went for a test run, slightly strange noise in first but other than that all runs ok.

So, do i just flush the oil? Leave it? Bike goes on sale next week. What to do?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: What a great Bank Holiday weekend......... not

Post by cupasoop »

Does the tl have a sight glass for the oil level? If the oil's turned a funny colour then any buyers would spot it easily. I'd change the oil.
Rich.

Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

cupasoop wrote:Does the tl have a sight glass for the oil level? If the oil's turned a funny colour then any buyers would spot it easily. I'd change the oil.
It does mate, yes. Am thinking that is what i need to do
evo360

Post by evo360 »

Hey I wantedthat bike!! Do the oil change, you've done all the hard work would be a shame to cut corners now
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I'd prolly drop the oil etc if I were you Mellis. I know that you must feel you want to se the back of the bloody thing atm though...:evil:
SP1's rock!
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Particularly as on the test ride today it was jumping out of first gear. I give up
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Oh crap!
You couldn't just leave it parked up behind a tank and accidenlty run it over could you?
Nice little insurance job,nudge ,nudge,wink, wink :wink2

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Mellis that sounds like a real nightmare. Drop the oil as everyone pays close attention to that and hope the buyer hasnt got the balloons to cane it in first and it stays in gear. Good luck my friend.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

It sounds like you've had one of the worst cases of bad luck with a bike I've heard in a while Mellis. Hope you get the f#cker sorted :evil:
SP1's rock!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jbrebel wrote:It sounds like you've had one of the worst cases of bad luck with a bike I've heard in a while Mellis. Hope you get the f#cker sorted :evil:
That's more or less what I thought.

Your bad luck has to change soon Mark :!:

Get it sorted then sell it, you'll feel much happier than trying to take some poor sucker in :!:

Chris.
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

sirch345 wrote:
Jbrebel wrote:It sounds like you've had one of the worst cases of bad luck with a bike I've heard in a while Mellis. Hope you get the f#cker sorted :evil:
That's more or less what I thought.

Your bad luck has to change soon Mark :!:

Get it sorted then sell it, you'll feel much happier than trying to take some poor sucker in :!:

Chris.
You're absolutely right Chris. I keep thinking of how i can get rid of it but i would feel like utter shite if a nice bloke came to pick it up and i sent him away with a bike that i knew was going to fail on him within a few miles. Although short of yet another engine strip and staring at the pieces again, i don't think that there is much i can do. Oil change has got to happen though.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Pete.L wrote:Oh crap!
You couldn't just leave it parked up behind a tank and accidenlty run it over could you?

Pete.l
There's another post on here about problems with the tank range, isn't there?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:lol: Tony keep taking the tablets :!: :wink:

Mark, do an oil change then take it from there.

I'm sure in a month or so you'll look back on this and think what was all the fuss about :wink:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You know a while back when you said it's the dogs?

Well, you're still saying it.

Well done for not bodging up and shifting on, though.

Have you still got the old engine?
Can you make a good one out of the pair of gearboxes?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

tony.mon wrote:
Pete.L wrote:Oh crap!

Pete.l
There's another post on here about problems with the tank range, isn't there?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'