Thinking of a change

General Bike chat
rst steve

Thinking of a change

Post by rst steve »

Going to go have a look at three bikes tomorrow see if i can be tempted away from my storm. Not really unhappy with the storm just fancy a change. Looking at a 2009 cbr600, 2008 R6 and a 2008ZX6R on paper they should all dust the storm in the speed and handling stakes but will they give me the same feel as i get when on the big twin????

If a nice storm appears on the for sale section tomorrow then you know the outcome :?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of a change

Post by cupasoop »

Happy birthday Steve.

A wee birthday present to yourself?
Rich.

rst steve

Post by rst steve »

Thanks mate.

Kind of went to the local Honda dealer today and the boss said i could have which ever one i wanted so might make a move while shes in a good mood. :lol:
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Let me know how you get on with the CBR as thinking of making a similar change for very similar reasons...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Happy Birthday Steve, I hope you have a good one :D

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Nooooooo dont do it! I thought exactly the same when I was swapping the Storm. You will get totally peed off with dropping 3 cogs whenever you want to overtake or make progress, 130BHP sounds a lot but its where they make the power that gets tiresome.. I tried the GSXR, the CBR, the ZX636 (the best by the way IMO) Get an R1 or Blade/ZX10/GSXR1000 if you are thinking of an IL4 that way you keep the midrange and some torque for higher gear overtaking. The 6s are track day nirvana but for the road they leave a lot to be desired especially after a big twin. Obviously this is just my experiences and can be totally ignored :D
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I go with that Mike :D

Agree with the comments already made-it's only when you try something smaller you realise how much more you have to ring its neck. There's no replacement for cubes :)

Like FSM has said, if you want to ride something that needs revving go for it. What about a GSXR750? Best of both worlds.
SP1's rock!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I wonder how Steve got on :?: :)

Chris.
snipper

Post by snipper »

worst thing i did going to a cbr600 after the storm .. kept for about 5 weeks as i carnt be
doing with ringing the nuts off a bike to get the performance.

love the sp1 though ... top end rush and low down grunt :)

just the fast steering thats is taking a bit of getting used too
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

Well the weather got the better of the test rides did'nt manage to get out on any of the bikes :?

Did however get the chance to have a real good look around them and a sit on them all and at this point i can say that the R6 is looking good. Love the focus of this bike and i seem to fit it perfectly would even go so far as saying it felt comfyier than my storm. Really like the looks and sounds nice to (has a full Akropovic system). Just need to get out on it for a ride i know it is not going to be as easy as the storm and that i am going to have to get used to a lot more gear changes but i am kinda looking forward to being able to rev the tits of it lol. Only problem is its a little more to insure than the storm but may make some of that back with cheaper tax and lower fuel bills.
evo360

Post by evo360 »

think carefully mate, I got rid of my storm last week and bought a gsxr 600 and again you have to wring it's neck to make any progress. I love the lightweight handlng and it is pretty comfy but I have a very distinct feeling I'll be back on a vtwin before the end of the summer. Mayb an rsv will quench my thirst for a sports bike plus the benefits of a v
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

evo360 wrote:think carefully mate, I got rid of my storm last week and bought a gsxr 600 and again you have to wring it's neck to make any progress. I love the lightweight handlng and it is pretty comfy but I have a very distinct feeling I'll be back on a vtwin before the end of the summer. Mayb an rsv will quench my thirst for a sports bike plus the benefits of a v
Nail on head I think :wink:
SP1's rock!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

For me, the problem would be when I can't be bothered to be focussed and on it, and just want to pobble about (copyrighted phrase).

I don't find this as easy on an IL4 as it can be on a big v.

(Course, there's gonna be much less of the sitting there waiting for the speed to build before you can slot in the next one sort of boredom) :D :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

The latest IL4 thous but especially the Blade have oodles of torque from low down, with 174 horses, 84lb ft @ 8500 rpm and a flat power curve you can pootle or hoon at will. The days of having to thrash the big IL4s are over, of course if you want to pretend to be Guy Martin and have the skill to match you can live in the 10K+ rev range :eek2.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'