Sprockets / Gearing - Blunder?......

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
B120CR

Sprockets / Gearing - Blunder?......

Post by B120CR »

Hi. I wanted to change gearing as Im always looking for an extra gear that isnt there and to give me a few more mpg when sat on m/way. I opted for 15/42 which Ive now put on bike, but before I cut my chain and fit Im having a mental block and have a doubt in my mind that Ive made a big fo-par and geared the wrong way...... :mad2
Somebody please confirm my misery or please rest assure me that Ive not wasted £50+ on nice shiny renthal sprockets with the wrong teeth?!!
If ive blundered, will it make a difference enough to warrant purhasing a new front sprocket before i cut the chain and/or this cost be re-couped in fuel saving not thrashing around at 5500rpm all day?
Thanks all
B120CR

Re: Sprockets / Gearing - Blunder?......

Post by B120CR »

I think I can answer this myself, perhaps I shouldve ordered 17/39?
O NO!! :redface
coledog

Post by coledog »

you sure did o well we all learn by mistakes and some of us have made classics ! :oops:
Matt Black 04 model
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Shouldn't be a worry.

IIRC the 15/42 is a Renthal kit with an X-Ring chain and somebody on here should want it. :)
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'd have thought that your standard chain length would not need cutting shorter with that set-up (15/39) although you may not have much adjustment left as the wheel would be very near the back end of the swing arm, but I may be wrong on that. You have answered your own question correctly as already suggested.

I would suggest only going up one tooth on the front sprocket from the standard 16 tooth to 17 teeth, then trying that first as reducing the rear by two teeth as well will make the gearing very high.

Remember also you will need to fit a Speedo Healer to correct the speedo readings, as that will include showing the correct mpg too :!:

Do lets us know how it all goes,

Chris.
B120CR

Post by B120CR »

Ok - After issuing myself "Plank of the week" award ( :o ) Ive ordered a 17 front to run with the 42 rear. I figure better that than sticking with the 16 and turning into a rear wheel hooligan (again)!
Im not sure if Im more gutted about my costly blunder or the fact that the bike is now off the road til Tuesday now......sprocket pending
Thanks for confirming my fear and your tactful comments! You live and learn -Cheers :oops:
B120CR

Post by B120CR »

Back on the road now with 2 new sprockets & a chain! :lol:
Thought it might be worth a mention that B&C could not supply the 17 front for 2 weeks, however Talon supplied same day and at half the cost at little over £13 inc VAT..
Anyone want to buy a 15t sprocket? Going cheap!..... Lesson learnt :redface
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Glad too hear you're now sorted :wink:

Do let us know how you find the higher gearing.

Chris.

PS. As I mentioned before, you won't see any change MPG wise, unless you fit a Speedo Healer to correct the odometer reading.
roger

Post by roger »

hi all,

i've been using 1 tooth less on the front sprocket and std on the rear for 2 years with the same kit (stealth x-ring gold hd) needs changing now tho, i've ridden for a while with the chain (just a little) slack cos the chain became fully adjusted rather quickly, and had no problems touch wood. not bad for 2 years usage.
the gearing better suits town riding than the std ratio, not so much up and down between 1st & 2nd, but the best thing is the acceleration which i prefer to top end.

cheers

rog
roger

Post by roger »

Timbo,
Hows this for one.
I washed my bike on the paddock stand, finished and put it on the side stand.
noticed the remus can on the left was a bit skew, loosened the bolt and grabbed the can to twist it in a bit, which tipped the bike over into the fence smashing the screen, mirror, and fairing, and my neighbour had to help me pick it up.
cost me more in pride than money.
Rog.