Crash bobbins - which ones do you rate?

General Bike chat
AMCQ46

Crash bobbins - which ones do you rate?

Post by AMCQ46 »

Looking to fit some crash bobbins to save the body work if the worst happens, but some of the ones I have seen look more cosmetic than structural.

Whos got them and how do you rate them for strength, ease of fitting, looks etc?
And if some one has been unfortunate enough to test them, I would like to know if they worked!

Some pics would also be good to see how they mount and where the impact loads will go.

Thanks
AMcQ
AMcQ
Jbrebel

Re: Crash bobbins - which ones do you rate?

Post by Jbrebel »

I had Motrax DHM's on mine-see this piccy/thread-you may have to squint :lol:

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 6&start=15

They looked OK and I'm sure they would have saved potential damage with a curb side drop? How effective any are in a major spill-should the bike get flicked up by a grate or drain cover?-I'm not sure.

Fortunately never had to test them in anger :)
SP1's rock!
WireWalker

Post by WireWalker »

Jbrebel wrote:I had Motrax DHM's on mine...........

They looked OK and I'm sure they would have saved potential damage with a curb side drop? How effective any are in a major spill-should the bike get flicked up by a grate or drain cover?-I'm not sure.

Fortunately never had to test them in anger :)
I couldn't agree more with Jbrebel. Having said that I think I have the same Motrax bobbins on my bike and I have some larger pictures. I have a few more from slightly different angles if you feel the need. To add to what was said in regard to damages I recently had on off on my Ducati. It was fairly low speed caused by new, cold tyres at 2am on a slightly frosty night, I tagged the white line as I joined the main road less than 200 yards from where I set off from so I added to the statistic that says most accidents happen in the first mile before you are in the groove and not fully alert.

If the Ducati had crash bobbins I reckon they would have saved me a lot of expensive bodywork and probably a peg and bar too but I reckon I'd still have lost the mirror which is stressed on the nosecone and I think it would still have ruined the nosecone which is by far the most expensive part. Also the bike would have looked fugly and soooo uncool I'd rather risk it.

Also while I was looking at the pictures I had I noticed that the one with me onboard looks like my knee would be quite close to the bobbin if I came down. In the most recent accident (I've had a couple over the years :lol: ) among a few other injuries I badly bruised my left calf but managed to get clear of the bike before impact though I think it was a close call and the bobbin may have prevented me getting my leg out in a timely manner and resulted in more broken bones.

It's also my thinking that there's as much chance of the bobbin saving a panel and tearing off a frame lug or worse so they may be a false economy in some situations if you know what I mean.

The Pictures:

"The future is Orange"
WireWalker

Post by WireWalker »

One of the bobbins close up:
"The future is Orange"
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Cheers for the answer, you have touched on some of my concerns in your discussions., [like the possibility to save a section of the faring, but damage the frame].

And your comment about hitting your knee looks a valid concern based on the side view.

Your photos have me asking 2 more unrelated questions.
1) can you send me more photos of the seat with the pillion cover off. I am looking at getting mine redone by Tony Archer with gel pads and a bit more foam for the pillion. Also I know you just bought the bike, but if the last owner is still looking on the forums can he tell me who did the seat for him [was it tangostorm?].
2) Have you been touching your wheels up with a white tyre pencil? :P
AMcQ
WireWalker

Post by WireWalker »

AMCQ46 wrote: 1) can you send me more photos of the seat with the pillion cover off. I am looking at getting mine redone by Tony Archer with gel pads and a bit more foam for the pillion. Also I know you just bought the bike, but if the last owner is still looking on the forums can he tell me who did the seat for him [was it tangostorm?].
It was indeed Tangostorm mate but I doubt you'll see Marc around anymore as he has a wee Gilera 200 scooter now and sportsbikes aren't really for him I don't think. As it happens he bought the bike from a guy in Newcastle so he has no information about that and I can't see any receipt or anything in the paperwork I have, sorry dude. I can probably do the photo thing once a bit of spare time and dry weather coincide and PM you when it's done if that sounds OK. :)
AMCQ46 wrote:2) Have you been touching your wheels up with a white tyre pencil? :P
:lol: Good question that requires a multiple choice answer strategy.

a) "It wisnae me" runs away

b) The previous owner did it because the current "Whore of Babylon" look didn't attract quite enough of the wrong kind of attention.

c) I had a surplus of heavy duty eye makeup left over from my stint as a transexual working mens club entertainer and couldn't be bothered ebaying it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that the bike, well sorted as it may be with good quality pukka kit, has the look of a tarts palace on wheels! :lol:

Or is that just me :biggrin
"The future is Orange"
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Or has he merely written the name of a decent make of tyre over a part-worn pair of Maxxis?

I've got these DHM mushrooms fitted as well, and they saved most of the panels when I had a low-speed slip off on black ice a couple of years back.
The brackets bent slightly, but could be hammered back into shape, and the mushrooms held the side of the bike up and prevented damage to everything except the can, the little fin on the fairing lower, and the handlebar ends.

And you can order spare mushrooms to replace the "slightly worn" ones.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tattie

Post by tattie »

I have R+G bobbins fitted to mine ( no pics tho) they are forward of the ones fitted to the orange storm on the engine mounting bolt, the one with the castellated nut, and require cutting an 18mm (I think) hole where they mount. They are clear of my legs and would, I imagine give a certain amount of protection.

cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have R&G bobbins fitted to my bike too :)

Not the cheapest, but the bolt that goes through the engine mounts and frame, plus the machined threaded spacers are stainless steel.

I didn't like the idea of drilling the fairing (although the online fitting instructions are excellent, here http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Hon ... Years.aspx ) but after some consideration decided these were the best option IMHO.

Chris.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Even though you've had to drill the fairing they look to fit better Chris.

The DHM's have a bracket to fit to. I can understand why yours bend wirewalker.
SP1's rock!
lee67

Post by lee67 »

forget name of my bungs on the sv'...on my recent non fault road slide 7 weeks ago..i can confirm, the right bung took a good beating and stayed intact..pity it did £4495 of damage tho :evil: , the worst that can happen with most bungs is that they actually cause the bike to dig in and flip the bike over trashing both sides!!...R&G's have been guilty of this scenario before :sad2
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ive got those long steel tubular bungs fitted, see them :lol: ????....they were on the bike when i bought it, and they're staying on :!: :oops:

Stevie
gilson

Post by gilson »

Wirewalker, what swing arm is that? Looks like it's on upside down! ;-)

I've got Motrax ones on my track bike, they fit over the lock nut for the from engine mount bolt. They have taken the brunt of the falls that I've had. Must put them back on but I've had my share of falling off.... :lol:

Sorry no photos... I like the R&G ones for sure... similar principle to the SP2 ones (which I have for sale!)
No bike (yet).
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

+1 to the R&G's.

...they saved most of my bike after a lowside on track.

Replacement bung & bolt was cheap & easy order from R&G too.

John
WireWalker

Post by WireWalker »

gilson wrote:Wirewalker, what swing arm is that? Looks like it's on upside down! ;-)
It's a Metmachex and I know what you mean about the underbrace, it makes it look quite retro, or just "old". The new one is a top brace and more tubular, I think this my one is a triumph of function over form :lol:

http://www.metmachex.net/p3_10_13.htm
"The future is Orange"