19L Tank...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Whitey

19L Tank...

Post by Whitey »

Hi All...

Just a quick one - I have a "98" Storm with the 16L Tank :( I understand that the only differance between the 16L & 19L is internal - Therefore (You can guess what I'm going to ask now can't ya!) Can you swap a 16L for a 19L tank without problems??

Thank you "O" wise ones!!

Whitey :thumbup:
benny hedges

Re: 19L Tank...

Post by benny hedges »

yes it goes straight on.
#
with a bit of panelbeating you can get a vfr800 tank to fit as well - that holds i think 22L and 21 after it's been modded.
there's a thread here on it somewhere - if not here, there is on superchicken.com
#
just bought one for mine - cost me a fortune lol, even dented 16L tanks were going for 50+ recently.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Thanks for your help & response Benny Hedges - Very helpful :thumbup:

Thanks Whitey
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

hi any ideas where the vfr tank thread is ive tried searching but no luck as of yet
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

saw that article - i think the guy on http://www.superhawk.com made a much tidier job tbh, actually looked like it belonged there, though iirc he had to remodel the front of the seat a little.
try using their search tab?

tbh for the extra few litres is it worth it if it looks botched?
that's why i went for the 19L for mine. if i need longer range i'll take a can with me bungeed to the pillion.

the tank i have on atm, looks like the seam has burst and has a fair size ding in the side over the original recess. even if it didnt leak, if i were to patch it up i reckon i'd lose another litre, putting me down below 100 mile range :thumbdown:

if i were you i'd shop around for a decent 19L, but they are getting rarer. think i was lucky to get this one just when i needed it.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

All storms should have laverda RGS snorkel front fuel fillers for refuelling on the hoof from any passing petrol tankers :p
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

wouldnt worry too much, in a few years we'll all be riding fuel cell :thumbdown: bikes anyway!
seantopbloke

Post by seantopbloke »

Is anyone lucky enough to have pictures of the underside of the 2 tanks, i have both tanks at the moment & the 19ltr one has a single threaded outlet instead of the 3 hole outlet on the 16ltr, what fits onto the 19ltr tank to allow you to use the fuel tap ? :confused
Its the sound of thunder at the back end that makes me smile at the front end !
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i got both tanks bud, will pop some pics on after - going in work shortly tho.
the 19l tank has a single outlet vacuum valve with no tap as such, unlike the 16L tank.

surprised you have the tank with no vac valve fitted - maybe someone wanted to make a few extra £ out of you, cos you have to go get one now.
not sure what other models have the same setup, might be worth asking you friendly local honda dealer?
seantopbloke

Post by seantopbloke »

I have taken receipt of a varadero fuel tap which fits perfectly, i have fitted a T piece & now just need to incorporate a filter. probably from the old tap, i will photograph the finished article when it is fitted to the tank if anyone wants to see, may be a while though, i now have an oil leak to contend with ?
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I was the one who did the VFR tank and it was just too big and bulky. To get it to fit properly you would have to shorten the seat too, so I removed it fairly quickly.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

seantopbloke

Post by seantopbloke »

Well, i have fitted the tank with all the adjustments required & it worked fine apart from a small fuel leak at the T piece joint. I will rectify this today by shortening the 2 fuel hoses incorproating a fuel filter on each one, that should releive the pressure on the joint, i need to use some better spring clips as well, i have jubilee clips on at the moment & they dont seem to be quite right. :)
seantopbloke

Post by seantopbloke »

Success, all fitted together & no leaks.
I will test this week using the bike for work & see how it goes, should be ok.
If anyone is interested in what i have done i can take some piccies & send them if you like.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

seantopbloke wrote:Success, all fitted together & no leaks.
I will test this week using the bike for work & see how it goes, should be ok.
If anyone is interested in what i have done i can take some piccies & send them if you like.
go on then, got brass tees already and right size jubilees etc, got to fit mine in a week or so, still painting lol - got swing arm off atm, what a peeg!