My VTR with ABM Comfort Kit

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Gallax

My VTR with ABM Comfort Kit

Post by Gallax »

Hi Guys

Thought i'd post a few pic of my bike with an ABM comfort kit fitted, they also show how much you need to take off the fairing to get full turning lock.

I've done some other work since these were taken. The belly pan is now colour coded. i got the paint from here
http://www.paints4u.com/
they were next day delivery and a lot cheaper than other outlets I've seen.
I've also done some subtle trimming of the rear mudguard and swapped the indicators for something a little less like landing lights although I don't like the front ones and am still looking for some reasonably priced later VTR ones.

Still making subtle little changes.

Simon
Jbrebel

Re: My VTR with ABM Comfort Kit

Post by Jbrebel »

Looks good :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
yorkshirepuddin

Post by yorkshirepuddin »

Excellent, Where did you get the kit from, was it easy to fit?

Love the last pic, very arty farty, excellent choice for the old avatar picture.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

8) never been keen on sports bikes with bar conversions but............... your looks very well done matey, cracking job :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Gallax

Post by Gallax »

Thanks

I only fitted it as i used to get wrist ache after only 30 miles and my whole hand was numb after 50, so i tried the bar risers, they helped a bit but eventually i went the whole hog and got the ABM one (after muchous research). It's expensive but i no longer get wrist or hand ache no matter how long the trip is. In fact in true Firestorm style i run out of petrol before I have to stop due to wrist ache

http://www.streetfighterstore.com/vtr_firestorm/100

The kits a doddle, the top fits over the original and is not a replacement (a little encouragement with a rubber mallet and it's on). The brake and cluth lines are straight forward, and it took about an hour with a dremmel to do the fairing
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Simon,
You must have read my mind, I was only thinking I would like to see some pic's of your bar conversion :thumbup:

It looks pretty good to me :thumbup:

Chris.
viva_la_vee

Post by viva_la_vee »

Looks ace!!!
simo

Post by simo »

:biggrin Looks good, would like to see the trimmed mud guards sometime :thumbup:
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

Very neat and tidy that, does not look out of place at all
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's gotta make tugging up a wheelie easier :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

And the best colour too. Bars look great, Gallax. Show us yer trimmed back end though.
WN!
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
Gallax

Post by Gallax »

All I did with the back end as bought the smallest legal numberplate I could (the police in Lincs are pretty keen). Fitted it, then drew a line across the mudguard and took a dremel to it. with a little bit of care it now looks a bit trimmer (cut bout 1 3/4'' off the rear mudguard). i also fitted dark tinted indicators (small rectangular ones). pretty satisfied with how things look now.

I'll try and get a few pics this weekend as i also took off the hugger as i never ride in the rain these days. I was going to cut some holes in it and fit mesh but not sure yet.

Thanks for the comments though, they are all nice. The confort kit was not an option as my wrists ached so much my hands went numb... not good.... but now I have a comfy bike the sounds and rides great.....stuff your 10k R1s... give me a v twin and I'll challenge anyone to a run through Bucknal bends (thats a sh1t hot route in Lincs, all 90 deg bends one after the other).

Thanks for looking
Gallax

Post by Gallax »

Hi All,

Just seen this, currently at £52 on eBay and is the same as mine. It may not stay at this price but is currently a bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-Firestorm-V ... 335d1c464e

Thanks

Simon
chippy310

Post by chippy310 »

hi mate
can you tell me what you cut the fairing with as im thinking of doing the same mod as my hands get numb after a short ride.
thanks
chippy.
Gallax

Post by Gallax »

Hi Chippy

I used a dremel. drew out roughly where i thought it should go then rough cut it with the dremel then smotth shaped it to get it right, smooth and even both sides. it took about an hour from start to finish and so long as you're slow and careful at the finishing stage it looks pretty natural, for the uneducated you would think it was made like that.

Thanks