APE CCT

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Walenut

APE CCT

Post by Walenut »

Hi All, Just a quicky, I have a set of the above CCT's on there way, do I need APE gaskets or are the Honda one's suitable?
Due to cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!
benny hedges

Re: APE CCT

Post by benny hedges »

the honda gaskets are the same - did the apes not come with gaskets??
some here have not bothered with gaskets but just used a smear of silicon instant gasket - obviously don't overdo it so it doesn't end up inside the engine, blocking oilways etc.....

when you're fitting them, if you remove the camchain cover (guide) between the cam gears, be sure to use some thread locking compound on the 3 m6 bolts when you put it back together :thumbup:

where did you order the apes from btw???
might be worth mailing them and asking if they come with gaskets - if you bought from overstock or jcm they will be included.
otherwise, while you're waiting, get some from davidsilvers for a few £, then sit twiddling you thumbs for a few weeks waiting for the ccts to arrive lol
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You don't need gaskets, the mating faces are good enough with a little silicon gasket goo.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

If original Apes they should come with new gaskets :thumbup:
Walenut

Post by Walenut »

Hi Guy's, sorry for the late response been away. Thanks for the info, CCT's brought from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0439062262 :thumbup:

hmmm how do I make that into a web link using a word like 'here'
Walenut

Post by Walenut »

Just thought I'd let you know the CCT's arrived today from the states, thats quicker than allot of UK suppliers I've used and no import tax, so highly recommended. :thumbup:

Oh and by the way no gaskets in the sealed packaging now, must be cut backs. :!:

Right point me to the fitting guide :D
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just a point to add to the installation guide - i strongly reccomend you use a thread locking compound on the locknut as my front one has worked loose twice now, fortunately when i was tinkering so no damage was done - if i'd been riding hard and throttled back it might've been a different post...

2nd time it happened i watched and could see the bolt slowly undoing itself by about 8mm.
not enough to do damage but enough to make it noisy....
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

View can't be official APE, the ones I fitted to Joneseys bike had a nyloc locking nut?

But like everyone knows on here and me also, threadlock on a storm is as important as tools, unless u want her undressing in public.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

bazza696 wrote:View can't be official APE, the ones I fitted to Joneseys bike had a nyloc locking nut?

But like everyone knows on here and me also, threadlock on a storm is as important as tools, unless u want her undressing in public.
yes theyre ape alright, with the nylock nut, but it goes against an o ring.
to get it tight enough so it doesn't undo itself, you have to destroy the o ring - seems a bit pointless it being there.

i don't think they will be coming undone again lol
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

LOL
Walenut

Post by Walenut »

No harm in belt and braces mate, thanks for the tip.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just to update this, to avoid confusion - it isn't the actual locknut that is coming loose.
the locknut is staying in the same position i set it on the long screw.

it's the long screw itself that is working loose, and unscrewing itself from the body of the cct, taking the locknut with it.

normally, with an o-ring, all it takes is a nip against the oring to secure & seal, but i think it's because they get hot - with the ape ccts, the locknut has to be FT (fking tight) and best to seal the long nut with a thread locking compound too, just in case.

either that or drill a corner of the locknut and wire it to a fixing.
the idea of fitting manuals is for peace of mind.
if i'd ridden my bike without letting it tick over and noticing this problem i would've wrecked the head.
or if it had happened out on the road with no tools... :roll:

the front locknut is a bitch to get at so just saying, make sure it is FT lol
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sounds like a small grubscrew in the side of the fitting acting on the bolt wouldn't go amiss.....

-Might damage the thread, though. :thumbdown: so maybe the lockwire idea is best.

I'm not convinced that the O-ring is a good idea; it would allow the nut to tighten against the O-ring rather than the top face of the body of the CCT.
I'd rather see a good metal-to-metal face so that the locknut could fit tightly against it to prevent it coming undone.

I have the ones fitted from ThePont, and they haven't come undone in use, fitted for a couple of years now. No O-rings, just a smear of silicon sealer.

Wouldn't that be a bugger, though, to fit manuals and then your engine wrecks itself anyway...... :oops: :eek2
Last edited by tony.mon on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote: Wouldn't that be a bugger, though, to fit manuals and then your engine wrecks itself anyway...... :oops: :eek2
indeed :Ball Kick:
i set it up spot on with covers off, put it back together, ran it, sounded sweet.
left it ticking over while i went for my lid, came back out WTF rattling to crouton 8O
peered down to see the screw shaking itself loose.
like i said, just be sure they are tight as crouton.

then i wasnt sure if it had jumped so it all came apart again, fairing off, tank off, airbox, carbs, placcy thing, cover...
it hadnt. :Ball Kick:
all back together again.
went for a ride, sweet as awt.
next day same thing, ticking over on stand, rattle rattle again...
felt like putting a tack on it tbh lol
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I found the nyloc nut to be more hassle than its worth, I would have preferred a normal nut and loctite it in place.