Stuck seat

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wicky

Stuck seat

Post by Wicky »

Here's fun one - Yesterday took off knackered flasher unit - Today went to take seat off to fit a new relay and the seat is jammed stuck on!

key lock seems to be working okay as it 'feels; the same as it has done when taking the seat off(as I;ve done hundreds of times) but I can't slide the damn thing back off. I've managed to remove the two front allen bolts to prise the plastic away so I could fit the new flasher and it has given me some access to under the seat.

Any ideas on where to apply a suitably sized hammer??
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Re: Stuck seat

Post by benny hedges »

mine did the same when i fitted my new subframe and maybe i misaligned the locking catch.
i managed to get it off by wiggling it like mad and eventually it came off.
might be worth trying the same if you havent already...
and check alignment of the catch before you refit it :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Just where the seat curls up towards the pillion seat.
palm of your hand and bash down and back as hard as you can.
Mine used to stick regularly after I put a Rentec grab rail on the back :D
If not, you're on your own :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Or you could leave the seat where it is and remove the bike :thumbup:
it may be clever, but its not big.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

RAINMAKER wrote:Or you could leave the seat where it is and remove the bike :thumbup:
:lol: :lol: You get worse Paul, or is that better :wink:

Chris.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Stuck seat-ask Kitch.

I can remember he had a slight problem with his a few years ago on a ride out :mrgreen:

Know he doesn't frequent this place as often as he did-but I'm sure he'll pick this thread up at sonme point :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
ubermod

Post by ubermod »

Don't think mine has ever come off smoothly. I managed to snap the little tab at the back of the seat cover wrestling with it one day. Usually I find giving it a good thump to make sure it's traveled as far "back" as possible helps before you start tugging. Gonna try that hook removal tip, cheers.
Pointblank

Post by Pointblank »

Pain in the rear sometimes trying to get the seat off,never had an issue with kwakis ,not something i would have expected with honda.
ubermod

Post by ubermod »

Timbo wrote:Once its off, if you dont take pillions, remove the two metal hook things that are bolted on to bottom of seat, makes it easier to get off and on. But dont if you carry pillions who use grab strap on seat, unless you dont like them :)
Hang on, you mean the big metal hooks that hold the seat down, not the little flip out coat hangers?

Isn't that a little dangerous? Does the seat flap about if you do that?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The "tongue" at the fornt and the lock at the rear hold it perfectly well; the hooks are to secure the middle of the seat if you use the fold-out hooks to strap big heavy things to the seat, or have a pillion tugging upwards on the seat strap.

Take the seat strap off and don't carry heavy things, then you're fine.

In order for the seat to come adrift it would have to "bow" in the middle sufficiently for the "tongue" to pull out, but the rear lock would still remain in place.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
ubermod

Post by ubermod »

Oh my God, this is fantastic!

Took the hooks off and I can take the seat on and off! This should be on the front page of the owners manual!

Although I've just told the missus a man on the internet said I can't carry heavy things anymore. She didn't look best pleased.

Cheers
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I was going to start a similar thread, but I felt a bit embarassed about admiting to yet another technical problem. Basically I gave up trying to get the seat off, despite following Honda's instructions.
Pointblank

Post by Pointblank »

Thought it was just my bike been cursing about the seat since i got it lol.

Took the hooks off What a difference !! Nice. :)
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ubermod wrote: I've just told the missus a man on the internet said I can't carry heavy things anymore. She didn't look best pleased.

Cheers
:lol: :lol: ahaha rofl !!!

mine are also coming off once i get the bloody thing off. was ok til you lot started going on about them sticking.
it's a conspiracy :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Finally sorted - As it was hot I was able to bend the seat out of the way to remove fastenings holding on the tail plastic. This allowed more room to get at the latch mechanism near the taillight and lo and behold the cable had popped out of its stay - therefore not allowing it to fully unlock. Popped it back in and the seat came off.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts