Race tyres for daily road use?

General Bike chat
MJONESY

Re: Race tyres for daily road use?

Post by MJONESY »

there should be an oval on the side wall with 4 numbers week and year ie 25 07 = week commencing 18 july 07,

yeah let me know if you decide to get shot of the rear, not really interested in the macadam, be interesting to know how old it is though
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Just mulling over the options I can get for mine-not talking a tyre dealer now either :)

Either race tec scrubs or a pair of brand new diablo 3's. Not sure what to do yet-my Avons are fecked now though.
SP1's rock!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

FirestormMike wrote:Beamish is your man for advice on race scrubs, pretty sure he's used a few pairs in the past.

Yep, had about 7 rears and 4 fronts. Some on an 09 fireblade the rest on the SP2. Tried Metzlers all compounds including 0's and Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas compound 2. Unbelievable tyres in the dry, road legal and have the wear bars to show the coppers who are non bikers. What people seem to forget is they are £140 road tyres that can handle track use! This bollox about how many heat cycles is all well and good for race slicks on WSB and GP but these are designed to get hot and cold on your average Gixxer/Ducati. They dont have the Silica content that touring tyres contain so they are a bit ass clenchy in the wet.
If you commute through all weathers then probably best avoid but you could always stick a set on mid summer for some fun :twisted:
I found on the long run to Scotland I eeked out 2.5K on a rear Metz and the front is still good. Put it this way my latest rear Pirelli cost me £30 fitted.
ome are better than others dependant on which bike/track they have been used on, just have a good look before fitting.
Just my opinion :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
bvghead

Post by bvghead »

I got the metzler racetec k2's if anyone wants them? £40 - bargain!?

With the hassle of getting them somewhere to be fitted and the wet weather over the lastfew day I bottled it :shh:, went for the lazy option, had some Maxxis fitted today!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

bvghead wrote:had some Maxxis fitted today!
please report what you think of them after a good ride!
i think theyre ace lol, very inspiring tyre! :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.