Bored with highlevels

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
yorkylancs

Bored with highlevels

Post by yorkylancs »

Was thinking about having a single can,rather than two high levels,how bad does it run with just one can,anyone tried it and are there any links or piccies,Ta.
tony.mon

Re: Bored with highlevels

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, dropped mine once and just blanked off the RH side, left the straight-through carbon can co on the LH side.
Ran ok, seemed not to be down on power but I noticed an increase once I'd replaced the can.
Don't know if one standard one would be any use, though....

Oh, and if you're going to just leave the RH one on, then you would need to clean up the interior of the collector, where the bit of pipe pokes into the hole .
A little Dremel works fine, or a grind stone in a drill.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

Have a look at the single can on my SA storm. perhaps if one can route this to under the seat it will be very slim trim & neat.

http://www.cornerspeed.co.za/VTR/VTR10.jpg

Gerrit
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Image Done it and all is well,will be off to the local dyno man soon! :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

wow, that looks wild........ :o looks like you can blast birds out of trees with it.

cause I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs I would probabaly melt the heels of my boots on the silencer, but it sure looks mean.

The whole bike looks good :thumbup:

but I am worried that you are drinking too much Coke :lol: :beer:
AMcQ
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

But it goes with the large amounts of vodka we get through in this house! :beer:
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

That's a nice clean bike. The motor is shiney :cool2
The force is strong with this one!!!

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR1300
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's looking rather different Rick. I don't think the photo does in justice IMHO.

I'll be interested to hear what the dyno man says too :thumbup:

You got different (lower) handle bars fitted now :?:

Chris.
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

How ya doin there Chris,been a while,the lighting is not that good in the kitchen,so got meself a nice avatar to prove it actually gets outta there once in a while.I knocked the cam timing out a bit at Anglesey,was told to be a bit more careful changing down at high revs,been sorting it for a bit, it runs no worse than it did before,reckon she has about 80 thou on her now,the old girl has had a busy year,its time to rest up in the kitchen again.Still toying with bracing the swingarm,looking at early R6 top bracing grafted on.As i say she aint pretty but she goes! :thumbup: :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yorkylancs, glad you are diluting the coke with vodka, that helps reduce the tooth decay problems and hyperactivity :D

out of interest, which version of the Nitron shock did you get, and what spring did they fit for you? There was a big difference between the spring they wanted to fit [ i think it was close to the stock 950ln/in] and what Roger reccomended, so I went with Rogers selection of 800lb/in....which works great :thumbup:
AMcQ
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Yeah,its a 950 pal,they asked the usual questions how much i weigh,do i carry a pillion,and do i drink 2 gallons of coke nightly! Nah its the road version,and once 100% suspension had decided it had to much sag and adjusted it,then worked spot on. 350 quid aint bad,and its made in Britain. :thumbup: :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yeah, I got the same shock [road one with combined damping adjuster] but added a remote preload adjuster, great quality part and as you said made in britain :thumbup:

But for my weight [just over 13st kitted up] I think the 950lb spring would be way too hard, that was 1/2 the problem with the standard shock [that and no damping adjustment]. So they were happy to swap it, and with the 800 spring the back and front suspension move together when it hits a bump, and I can jack the preload up when I need track settings.

I think Nitron were starting from the assumption that Honda put the correct spring in the bike when they built it, so were only changing it by 10% from standard. I think Roger knows more about the set up that works for a firestorm than the Nitron boys, so that is why I went with his settings.
AMcQ
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Thats interesting,i weigh about the same,might fit an 800 at rebuild time.The only comparison i had was against the standard shock,the nitron one is a world apart,it keeps the tyre in contact with the tarmac :D.Felt good after initial tweeking.Gonna look at my forks eventually,they are off a 954.They seem ok but might benefit from a rebuild by Roger,he is not far from me,this side of Lancaster,any ideas how much.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

to get std forks fully overhauled........new springs and modified damper etc .... was £200

Need one of the SP owners to tell us if it was a similar cost for the USD forks, he may make more changes as they have Comp & Rebound adjusters that may be worked over.
AMcQ