Hi all from Buxton, Derbyshire.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
arnie

Hi all from Buxton, Derbyshire.

Post by arnie »

Hi i'm Arnie , I live in Buxton, Derbyshire and have just purchased my first 1000cc bike after upgrading from my 600 Bandit and yes it's a Firestorm on a 2000 plate, I currently have it partially in bits for polishing, cleaning and a bit of powder coating. What are the main things I should keep an eye on or need regular attention, I like to keep my bikes nice and clean and as good as it was when I first rode it.. Thanks for the replies Arnie ..
benny hedges

Re: Hi all from Buxton, Derbyshire.

Post by benny hedges »

looks a nice one - thats the same lowers ive just got for mine :thumbup:

you will find the brace across the subframe just in front of the rear hangers.... that will be rusty as crouton.
also check the bottom rear shock mount as that gets a bit shitty.
and the headers rust a bit. apart from that they hold up quite well.

you will need to sort the camchain tensioners though (before they sort themselves)
and also have a feel under the tailpiece, about the middle right hand side.... if you feel a box like the size of a packet of swan vestas it has the original regulator / rectifier on and this is also prone to failure.
fit a larger finned one off a later model. (loads of threads here about it)

next thing you might want to do is upgrade the headlamp as the oem is pants in the dark.
i have beaver relays & 130w rally bulbs in mine & it's sound, either that or a hid kit.

then the cans.... you will want more noise lol :twisted:

welcome anyway.... nice part of the world you live in - i go round there quite a bit, derbyshire way.

get yourself a copy of the workshop manual from the links in the knowledgebase :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Thanks Benny for the info, I will get a copy of the manual now .... :D
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

hello and welcome .
nice bike and is that a corbin seat ?
arnie

Post by arnie »

I dont know about the seat , it came on it, I was thinking of putting an original seat back on so I could use a pillion seat cover to make a single seater.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

do us a favour bud.... if you are stripping the lowers off take some pics of the mountings for me would you.... got to make some up for mine.
sort of hashed some together but i'd like to see what the proper ones look like before i fit it.

treat u to a ice cream at matlock! :Beer Popcorn:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
alec

Post by alec »

pm sent
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
arnie

Post by arnie »

Yeah OK Benny , I have the lowers off already ,one of the fairing bolts snapped anyway so will have to take the mounting bracket off, I am going to drop the forks out on Saturday so if I remember I will take a shot of the bracket in place and off, cheers Arnie.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

nice one chap, mines almost ready for going back together... seems like ages lol.
arnie

Post by arnie »

The guy who had this before me must of been a lazy tw@, coz it looks like he did an oil change without taking the lowers off. Do you know if you can get a full set of fairing bolts to suit the uppers and lowers ?
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Welcome to the forum Arnie :thumbup:

So you live in Buxton,eh? Lucky b@stard!
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
arnie

Post by arnie »

Yeah mate, all that snow and all !, about 5 mins from the Cat and Fiddle, but not so good now with the new distance /time cameras fitted. Still a lot of good biking roads around though.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Welcome to the forum. I am liking that SP STORM thing you have there! :D As above said. Get the tempramental bits sorted out and you'll have a bike for life.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
arnie

Post by arnie »

I dont know if he was a member on here or if the oil change was done by himself , but anyone who would do an oil change and let all the oil run into the fairing must be a lazy tw@ :biggrin ...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

the seat looks familiar, but not the paint!, Seat is a Tony Archer gel and reshape and I think it belonged to one of our ex members as he was asking me if I wanted it when he sold his bike. I think he put the std seat back on and sold that seat on e-bay.

So perhaps you got away without insulting one of the crew :lol:
AMcQ