College CCT help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rider on a Storm

Re: College CCT help

Post by Rider on a Storm »

Jazzscot wrote:Ill add my tuppence worth in the hope that it will avert a flame war.

I do understand the original post and realise that Beamish was asking for help to complete a college course which sometimes bears no resemblance to real world solutions (I know this because I work in the education sector).

The whole Im better and more qualifed to comment than you stance does nothing to promote a healthy forum enviroment.

The fact the thread is posted in the workshop section suggests to me that a real world solution would naturally be discussed at some point during normal proceedings.

To cut someone down for offering a solution to a real problem is wrong imho. I believe ROAS took offence at the tone of the post as he felt he was trying to help and then got cut down, therefore he responded in the way he did.

I do not believe to gain the upper hand by putting other members down is good as it promotes negativity on the forum. I also believe that taking sides is also counter productive.

Basically stop having a go at each other and kiss and make up.

Ok Jazz point taken, see post below
:beer:

Jazz
Tray
Rider on a Storm

Karl_h wrote:I think you've been a bit hard on the guy there Tray. As I'm in the final month of my engineering degree, I can fully understand your point that a correctly designed spring is the best solution. Unfortunately you won't get many marks for that. A lot of the time you end up doing totally pointless tasks just to build up what is judged to be enough work. Point in case being I've just finished designing a pedal powered snowmobile........
karl, sorry if i sounded a bit of an ass, but think about it for a minute, an indicator to warn of failure means failure is imment, and ccts has or will fail, surely you cant disagree with this? then in my view anyway its not a cure is it? if I may have offended beamish i am sorry for that but as i said it dont add up, I dont want to offend anyone and am just expressing my opinion thats all, oh and bth he did have a pop at me by saying you would have to be a expert to fit manuals :think:
Tray
Rider on a Storm

BTW if I'v got up anyones back didnt mean to, I have a negitive side and usually see where a flaw can occur, been working within the hydraulic industry for the last 15 years and my current position is QA Manager, I always seek weaknesses in any design, try then to eliminate any chances of failure, so when i see something that dont add up I get all bothered and stuff, anyway now enough explainations and apoligies, :clap:
Tray
Rider on a Storm

vtwin wrote:Fitted my ROAS manuals yesterday, follwing the instructions it was a doddle. TBH the hardest part was getting the breather pipes on and off the airbox, also fuel pouring out of the tank when I pulled the pipe off !

I adjusted as recommended, hand tight then back off 1/4 turn and the bike sounds sweet as a nut.

Hopefully the bike should be bulletproof now. :beer:

Thanks Tray :thumbup:
cheer m8, a positive comment, enjoy that v-twin sound
Tray
Rider on a Storm

tony.mon wrote:
Karl_h wrote:I think you've been a bit hard on the guy there Tray. As I'm in the final month of my engineering degree, I can fully understand your point that a correctly designed spring is the best solution. Unfortunately you won't get many marks for that. A lot of the time you end up doing totally pointless tasks just to build up what is judged to be enough work. Point in case being I've just finished designing a pedal powered snowmobile........
I agree with the comment above, Tray.

I like your ones, (I've fitted enough of them :lol:) but an owner who isn't that confident about fitting manuals is also unlikely to strip them and replace the springs, no matter how simple the instructions.

I also agree that for an degree subject, a replacement spring isn't going to earn you a decent mark, so a more inventive, measured, researched, tested, and designed solution is called for.
it's not about coming up with the easiest solution, it's about proving that you can use correct techniques, methods and information in order to produce (or in this case do everything before the production stage) a workable solution.
It doesn't mean that the solution is automatically better than any other solution currently available.

And regarding your point about asking for information and measurements, all of us do that, whenever we ask for help, assistance or opinions on this forum, so don't knock that too much.

It doesn't matter how much you know, in my humble opinion, because more knowledge only leads to more questions, and being able to accept that concept is a good place to start.

Dunno about the snowmobile, though, the fun's surely mostly in the screaming engine....
Tony m8, been trying to disfuse this situation and again I did not mean offence, but when I started to make manuals I asked for a auto cct to take measurements from, kindly donated by jazzscott, it all started from there. You Tony helped me in great detail but you like me made some comments namely " someone give me a lathe and I will make them a cct for free" see where i'm comming from????, see posts from last year, I wasnt put off by this comment and neither should beamish be by mine, constructive critisism is a good thing,
Tray
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ok, seems like we're all coming to the opinion that this isn't worth falling out over, which IMO is the way forward.
Beamish (although he's posting superior BHP dyno tracks) is still welcome heer, as far as I'm concerned, after all he may well see the light after a while, and get another Storm....

So why don't we proceed under the assumption that Beamish was asking for help, got some, and good luck to him in his qualification, and all other opinions are equally valid, whether supportive or in a spirit of constructive criticism.

All ok with that?
:Ball Kick:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Karl_h

Post by Karl_h »

Ah Tray, don't be daft you didn't get anyone's back up, well maybe Beamish!
Your product has helped out way to many people on this forum, me included, for anyone to really get the butt with you.
I could see why you would get a bit fed up if you thought someone was trying muscle in on something, that you are basically doing as a favour (as in for the quality and price your charging, its clear your not sorting out your retirement fund!).
It's just that university is a fickle brute, if Beamish had gone to his lecturer and said "this needs a new spring" he would never have been allowed to start. What they are asking for is the way you work through a design process.
Beamish's conclusion may well include that the best solution is a new spring.
Much like the snowmobile I'm doing we're, luckily, getting as many points for proving its rubbish as we would if it was the best thing since sliced bread! After working in industry and fingers crossed landing my first job next week, I can assure you, your not the only person that disagreed with engineering the "wrong" solution.

Hope everything is all well with the world again now!

Cheers all,

Karl,

P.s. Tray if I remember right your Irish, hence if you beat us at the rugby today I take back everything nice I said!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Seeing as ROAS made the effort to apologise I will be man enough to accept and no grudge held. You are wrong with many of your comments though and as an engineer I feel the need to comment. Many systems have failure indications if they have in built mechanical/electrical redundancy. I cant really believe you havent seen this in the hydraulic world you work in. Many aircraft systems and the hydraulic rigs we use to service components have an overpressure indicator or a bypass pressure indicator thus informing the operator/mechanic that things are not as they should be *this does not though, affect the normal operating limitations of the system*. My design's secondary plunger allows the cam chain to maintain damn near original tension with a primary spring fail. The indicator can alert the garage at next service or the operator if he/she is mechanically minded, it is overcomplicated I know, that is for a reason. I dont give a rats ass about the manual's or indeed the SP's gear driven cams, they would have given me a project pass only, I needed all the boxes ticked for something more. Take care and chill out :thumbup:

Thanks to all who helped. :beer:

P.S Tony, I may well buy another Storm at some point, they are a great bike.
Last edited by Beamish on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Rider on a Storm

Karl_h wrote:Ah Tray, don't be daft you didn't get anyone's back up, well maybe Beamish!
Your product has helped out way to many people on this forum, me included, for anyone to really get the butt with you.
I could see why you would get a bit fed up if you thought someone was trying muscle in on something, that you are basically doing as a favour (as in for the quality and price your charging, its clear your not sorting out your retirement fund!).
It's just that university is a fickle brute, if Beamish had gone to his lecturer and said "this needs a new spring" he would never have been allowed to start. What they are asking for is the way you work through a design process.
Beamish's conclusion may well include that the best solution is a new spring.
Much like the snowmobile I'm doing we're, luckily, getting as many points for proving its rubbish as we would if it was the best thing since sliced bread! After working in industry and fingers crossed landing my first job next week, I can assure you, your not the only person that disagreed with engineering the "wrong" solution.

Hope everything is all well with the world again now!

Cheers all,

Karl,

P.s. Tray if I remember right your Irish, hence if you beat us at the rugby today I take back everything nice I said!
:shh: dare I ask :lol: was a good game though, :clap:
Tray