charging.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jimbob

charging.

Post by jimbob »

hi all. i know its been done to death but i just need a comfirmation before spendin bucks.. went for a ride to manchester the other evening.. bit chilly so on with heated gloves n jacket.. 15 mile trip mostly m/way n not hangin about , got to destination turned bike off.. 10mins later went to start it n got the dreaded click,click,click.. flat battery.. no phone or money..sh1t.. cant even get recovery out . finally got it bumped after half hour shuvvin the soddin thing.. gloves n jacket disconnected limped it home on side lights :thumbdown: anyway.checked voltage 11.5 on idle, 13.2 at 4,000 rpm. ???? lost me ampmeter so cant check that.. but thinkin should be 14.5 - 14.8 at high rpm?? never had a problem on any other bike with the heated gear so def got a prob. hopefully its just the rec then i can do the yam mod . any one help out on the prob? ta..
Wicky

Re: charging.

Post by Wicky »

Is your your storm early or late model? If early has it the unfinned R/R > if Yes then replace with uprated R/R pronto and if necessary replace battery.

Another thing to look at is the connection to the starter motor - peel pack rubber hood on the starter motor and check for corrosion - keep it greased up.

pS HEATED JACKET!! I've had the winter thermals off for a month as it's Spring!
Last edited by Wicky on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

cbr125 r/r off ebay, plug & play
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

pS HEATED JACKET!! I've had the winter thermals off for a month as it's Spring!

were -3 yesterday morn n scrapin ice off me seat.. thats still bloody winter to me.. plus the fact that i'm middle aged, gettin to like gardening, hmmm.. that reminds me.. spring borderplants due to be out, moan a lot (truck driver..lol.. ) gettin fat , liking the look of bmw's and triumphs, slippers.hmm. wheres me glasses .. thinkin about it.. could do wi a horlicks.. bloody june before i even think about goin out without heated gear.. pmsl.. does any one do heated seats fer a vtr???
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Bah! 47 year old and was out and about (slipping and slidin') on xmas day :eek2

Heated seat mod on superhawk forum: http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... 1-a-24970/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

jimbob

Post by jimbob »

were jokin bout seat..lol. n yer .. out new year on me zed n dropped the bloody thing at blue lagoon int snow.. knew it were a bad idea... at least i were warm...does any one do a 12v wrap around quilt fer bikers???
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jimbob,
The rectifier is the most likely culprit as already said, although it could just be a cell gone in the battery, which would mean a new battery.

Volts at the battery terminals should be showing anywhere between 13.5 to 15.5 volts with engine running and lights off.

Chris.
Eclectic

Re: Re: charging.

Post by Eclectic »

benny hedges wrote:cbr125 r/r off ebay, plug & play
Sorry to jack your thread bid. But is this kosher?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I just got one from fleabay for £20 inc pp from a CBR125 and fitted it to a friend's 98 storm a couple of days ago - plug & play as Benny said