1 tooth more , 1 tooth less ?

General Biker Banter
arnie

1 tooth more , 1 tooth less ?

Post by arnie »

Has anyone experimented with the gearing on their bike either up or down , front or back ?, I you go up 1 tooth on the front does it lower or raise the gearing, which would be the better option for town riding more acceleration and less top end ?
benny hedges

Re: 1 tooth more , 1 tooth less ?

Post by benny hedges »

i have 15 on the front and 43 (might be 44, cant remember lol) on the back & it's very lively.
still get a good top end but the accel is er, better :twisted:

just dropping a tooth on the front with std rear is a vast improvement over oem gearing.

you really dont want to go up 1 on the front, the bike would be near enough unrideable in town

if you want to know what difference it makes, have a look at http://www.gearingcommander.com
Last edited by benny hedges on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
arnie

Post by arnie »

So what ive found is

FRONT - 1 tooth up 'gears up' = more speed.
FRONT - 1tooth down 'gears down' = more acceleration

am I correct so far ?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yes and no. theorectically 1 tooth up will give more speed, but in practice it will make the gears too long and the bike will ride very sluggish through the gears.
the storm is already overgeared imo - dont do it.
in slow traffic you will be on the clutch all the time & it will be very tiring to ride.
it will give you a theoretical top speed of about 190 but with just over 100hp you will never see that unless you ride it off beachy head.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Thanks Benny, I haven't even ridden it more than 20 yards yet !, but I am not the most confident rider at slow speeds, so if I could keeps the revs slightly higher when riding slow surely that would help wouldn't it ?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/001 ... st&sd=DESC

treat yourself.
you might find them cheaper on feebay but these are good quality.
get the 15-530
arnie

Post by arnie »

Cheers Benny , thanks for your help and advise .. :thumbup:
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

I've done 1 tooth down on the front and 2 teeth up on the rear, YEHAAA, had it like that for years, love it, it makes the bike less lumpy in low speed town ridding,
fast away at standing starts and catapults you out of bends on the open roads :Shock1:
That's a win win for me, you do lose a bit off the top end but who gives a poo about that when you're having so much fun, it's like being on a perminant fair ground ride the way it is :lol: :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

arnie wrote:Cheers bunny , thanks for your help and advise .. :thumbup:
Hey, Ernie, get his name right......

might just stick, though!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Two teeth more on the rear I found the best. Much better at slow turns/town riding. 1 tooth down at the front has a similar effect, but the chain turns through a tighter radius creating more wear on the links etc. Not a major thing but it also means that the axle comes back further in the swing arm. With the larger rear sprocket the axle goes forward slightly.

So for me? Rear sprocket change only by two teeth more....................... oh, and I fitted a 'Speedo Healer' device as the change of sprocket screws up the speedo reading to the extent of 90mph indicated on a private test track (M20!) was in reality 80mph on the sat nav!!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
arnie

Post by arnie »

tony.mon wrote:

Oops !!! , sorry never noticed .... :oops: ..... 8)
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

arnie wrote:
tony.mon wrote:

Oops !!! , sorry never noticed .... :oops: ..... 8)
you spelled it right.... someone was being a tit & editing people's posts. :Ball Kick:
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

[quote="benny hedges"

you spelled it right.... someone was being a tit & editing people's posts. :Ball Kick:[/quote]

I think it suites you down to a T, and ufortunatly for you i think it might just stick BUNNY :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

don't you start cheeky butt or i'll make you ride down dusty roads and sh1t your shiny bike up :twisted:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Seems appropriate for Easter, at least. Let's see if it wears off.... :lol: :lol:

Anyway, what's the worst that can happen?

Myxamatosis?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.