Took my son out on the bike properly today!!

General Bike chat
geodude

Took my son out on the bike properly today!!

Post by geodude »

I bought some bike gear for Ethan today. I spent more than anticipated which has scuppered my attendance at the Workshop day :(

I took him out on the beemer tonight to a) show his mum what he looked like with the gear and B) to get some petrol. We ended up riding along the beach road and back :lol:

The thing is, I was more nervous than he was I think. I need not have worried. He is an awesome pillion. He listened to my important instructions. He never listens but in this case he did everything I asked of him. I was riding through Portsmouth and I almost had to stop! I was welling up in my hat!! :oops:

Anyways, I'll be writing something up for our first proper ride out but just had to share this moment.

Absolutely bloody brilliant!!

On the way back from the garage, I said, "The fastest we went was 50mph" he said "How fast does your BMX bike go?" I said "About 125". "What about bumble bike?" he says, I said "About 155"......he replied "We can go on that next" LOL :clap:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
lloydie

Re: Took my son out on the bike properly today!!

Post by lloydie »

i never got my bmx to that speed lol
How fast does your BMX bike go?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sounds cool, how old is he now?

I assume he will will hold the video camera now and you can get some new angles :lol:
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

lloydiecbr wrote:i never got my bmx to that speed lol
How fast does your BMX bike go?
I have big legs. lol
AMCQ46 wrote:sounds cool, how old is he now?

I assume he will will hold the video camera now and you can get some new angles :lol:
He is 9. I never thought about that Al. He could get some wicked angles. Thanks, although his hands are busy holding on at the moment. I don't think it'll be long before he relaxes more.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Nice one George, I can imagine how you were feeling.

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Thought about this a lot and I am nearly ready to let my eldest on the back. Looking fwd to getting the family more involved with my hobby :clap: :clap: :clap:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
geodude

Post by geodude »

sirch345 wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Nice one George, I can imagine how you were feeling.

Chris.
Happy as a pig in sh1t! lol

Beamish wrote:Thought about this a lot and I am nearly ready to let my eldest on the back. Looking fwd to getting the family more involved with my hobby :clap: :clap: :clap:
That's what I am worried about now. Every time I go out, he'll be wanting to go. Any strategies for saying no will be greatly received. lol
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Leave the pillion pad on. and show him how long it takes to take it off........
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

geodude wrote:
That's what I am worried about now. Every time I go out, he'll be wanting to go. Any strategies for saying no will be greatly received. lol
You've no chance, he wont let you go anywhere without him now, It's great isn't it, I remember the first time i took cheekyads out, i was a a reck i didn't sleep properly for 2 weeks thinking what if,
As you know he comes out with me all the time now, we love it, we have the most fantasatic times, i still think about the bad side of it though, i just hope nothing ever happens.
One bit of advise i would give to anyone taking a kid out is, don't try to be too carefull it will cause more problems and upset your handling, just try and ride normal as if nobody is on the back, except don't gas it up as quick and leave a bit more room for error, kids love going fast, just remember to relax and keep it smooth, if you do you'll be very suprised how quick you both become one :thumbup:

After all that i still worry though :lol:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
geodude

Post by geodude »

tony.mon wrote:Leave the pillion pad on. and show him how long it takes to take it off........
He isn't allowed on the storm. The wife forbids it. lol
cheekykev wrote:
geodude wrote:
You've no chance, he wont let you go anywhere without him now, It's great isn't it, I remember the first time i took cheekyads out, i was a a reck i didn't sleep properly for 2 weeks thinking what if,
As you know he comes out with me all the time now, we love it, we have the most fantasatic times, i still think about the bad side of it though, i just hope nothing ever happens.
One bit of advise i would give to anyone taking a kid out is, don't try to be too carefull it will cause more problems and upset your handling, just try and ride normal as if nobody is on the back, except don't gas it up as quick and leave a bit more room for error, kids love going fast, just remember to relax and keep it smooth, if you do you'll be very suprised how quick you both become one :thumbup:

After all that i still worry though :lol:

Ads looks so natural on you bike mate. Thanks for the tips too. :)

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by geodude on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

I have been thinking about getting Josh (10) out on a bike for a while.... you must be over the moon, I think I might start looking for kit...
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

I can't remember the first time I went out on a bike...my dad took me out in a side car when I was still a baby lol halcyon days...no worries about gear back then lol

My earliest memory of bein on a bike were giving me old man the giddee up at over a ton lol I must have been 6 maybe 7 lol nothings changed...well apart from being taller and wider. I still get him to go faster when we're out on a ride together.

I can't wait to have my boy on the back with me, quite jealous actually Geo...then again he isn't even 1 yet, suppose I shouldn't wish my life away.
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
gumbie man

Post by gumbie man »

I took my eldest stepson (13 year old) to his school the other week on the bike and he thought he was the dogs baldrocks with his mates and for his second outting we went for a breakfast and on the way back the privately owned dual carridgeway was empty so we hit 120, told him not to tell his mum but his hugh big inane grin :D :D gave it all away. Just need to get his mum on the back. Any suggestion warmly welcome.