CANT FIND A GOOD MECHANIC?????????????

General Bike chat
guytempleman

CANT FIND A GOOD MECHANIC?????????????

Post by guytempleman »

after having my front CCT,replaced iam still getting a slight rattle when cold but when hot it sounds okay, maybe a bit lumpy and vibration, i have downloaded the advice on this site about valve and chain timming but have,nt the space or tools or brain?????lol, i have been unsuccessfull in finding someone competant to do the job and the storm is still laid up, is there anyone in the middlesbrough area that anyone could recommend, iam realy p*****st off at the moment "no bike" would realy appreciate some help :confused thanks Guy
Eclectic

Re: CANT FIND A GOOD MECHANIC?????????????

Post by Eclectic »

AMCQ perhaps?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Thanks for the recomendation, always happy to help with advice, but cant do another workshop day for a while as work is getting a bit mental and 12 hr days are the norm. Not even getting to ride my bike as the Mrs is complaining that she never sees me [and when she does see me she complains that I am tired and grumpy [is that 2 of the 7 dwarfs?]]

also I think middlesbrough, although it has the word middle in it, is nowhere near the Midlands! :lol:

I would say the slight rattle on start up should not be a worry, everything needs tyo get up to temerature.

What CCT was fitted, std Honda Auto, or a manual? and was it fitted after one failed, or just to be safe?
AMcQ
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

AMCQ46 wrote:T
also I think middlesbrough, although it has the word middle in it, is nowhere near the Midlands! :lol:
D'oh! just looked, over by Sunderland way, could of sworn it was by Birmingham haha :beer:
guytempleman

Post by guytempleman »

it was a standard honda auto fitted after it failed, i was over taking a bus on the whitby moor road and after flying past i shut off and rattle bang wollope the CCT gave way ohhh s***t thanks Guy
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

ok, now we know there was a failure before this work, there are more questions.

1) Who did the CCT change, you or a bike shop - did they set front cyl TDC before taking CCT off, did they reset the Cam timing [and we hope they didnt use Haynes instructions]
2) Did they check to see if the valves were damaged? - for now a compression test would give an indication, otherwise you need to get the front rocker cover off and check teh valve clearances.
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have a look at the receipt for the work done, did you get charged for replacement valves?
If so, did they do the job properly and reset the shims, or at least check them?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
guytempleman

Post by guytempleman »

thanks for all the info, i took it back and he didnt realy whant to know so i gave him a bit of a talking to and have now taken it to a honda technician he is going to strip it and check it all out, £100 and then parts if needed, in future go to someone who knows what they are doing
thanks Guy
alec

Post by alec »

guytempleman wrote:thanks for all the info, i took it back and he didnt realy whant to know so i gave him a bit of a talking to and have now taken it to a honda technician he is going to strip it and check it all out, £100 and then parts if needed, in future go to someone who knows what they are doing
thanks Guy
put both in the dodgy dealers section so others know who to avoid and use mate.
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image