Darley Track Day - Noise?

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Wildfire

Darley Track Day - Noise?

Post by Wildfire »

Been a while since I've been on here - but I'm back :)

Got a track day booked in July at Darley Moor (my first :eek2 )
Apart from the fact I will probably be the slowest and still come back without getting to the edge of my tyres or getting my knee any where near down :oops: , I am concerned that the noice limit is set at 98dB.

I'm running s/s Carbon Can co cans (BS Marked) with the baffles in but I have read that some big twins can exceed that level even on standard cans.....

Anyone know what the dB limits are for BS193T2 approval?

Any other advice welcome....I have been told to tape up the speedo & mirrors so I dont get distracted.
benny hedges

Re: Darley Track Day - Noise?

Post by benny hedges »

take the mirrors off mate and put some bolts & washers thru the holes.

you will have to tape up all your lights & indicators.
er & take your reg plate off in case you bin it :wink:

if you have baffles in you will be fine. for twins you only have to rev to 5-6k rpm for the noise test and there are no trackside db meters there.
just feather the throttle open and let it rise to 6k with just a small throttle opening.
if you give it full bore it will just hit the limiter and fail lol.

mine is loud as fek but passed at oulton no problem.

just enjoy the day mate.... oh and take some butties and a drink.. there's no cafe!

might see you out later in the season, darley, oulton, cadwell mainly but no way am i paying peak season prices lol

you coming to the swanwick meet>?? just down the road from you :Beer Popcorn:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Mine is currently well quiet since I took the carbon can co carbon cans off and fitted high level MIG's , but it still failed the 102Db limit at Brands.
One side at 101, the other at 103.
They let me on anyway, though..
If you're that fussed Maplins do a fairly cheap Db meter, you can check it before you go and then E-by it to get most of your money back.

Or if you go along to a track day before the one you're booked on they'll test it for free, and tell you if it's ok or not.

That's what I did, and why I had to change from the carbon ones- (107Db :oops: )
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
andre5030

Post by andre5030 »

I had entertained the idea of going to Kirkistown track in northern ireland they have a 105db limit but i doubt my stock cans with bafflectomy would be allowed. :(
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

andre5030 wrote:I had entertained the idea of going to Kirkistown track in northern ireland they have a 105db limit but i doubt my stock cans with bafflectomy would be allowed. :(
my uber loud unbaffled lasers only came in at 106 so you will have no problem m8.
as i said earlier, 1000cc twins, you only have to rev to 5-6k for the noise test.

agree with tony.... i did the same at oulton, just ask the scrutineering marshalls to test it for you - it's free!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
andre5030

Post by andre5030 »

Ah thats good to hear (no pun intended) they have drive by testing too but think ill take a run up some sunday ask them to check it out for me alright, will be a nice sunday run if nothin else.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Another trick is this.

When lining up, put it in to gear, front brake on and very slightly engage the clutch just enough to tighten up the rattles from the inside.

It's true that the sound meters are more sensitive to high frequency than the low. This is proven by the fact my mates R6 constantly fails the sound test where as my VTR doesn't. That's maybe not a surprise but it it when he can hear me behind him. In the Pits my VTR is far louder... strange but true...
No bike (yet).
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

it is bloody true, but only at snetterton!!!

not any more, my new can is only 99db without the baffle in. :shh: