driving licence update

General Biker Banter
chaz

driving licence update

Post by chaz »

dont know if it has been seen by others and reported yet, but serves a usefull reminder.
had an email from my son who said that I needed to check my driving licence. Im ok ,but the wife has to watch out.......

the police are checking driving licences, with the new photo ones check the small line above the small photo on the front.
4a is the date issued, in my case 17-12-04 either when wwe moved (not) or when my 3 points came off (probably).
4b is the date you have to submit the licence with a new updated photo of yourself, in my case 05-01-10., mine is ok, but the wifes is in dec 09.

if you have need to renew due to date get a copy of the booklet that was issued with the licence. its going to cost you around £17.50 for a new card with updated pic but its better than a £1000 fine you get from the police.
tony.mon

Re: driving licence update

Post by tony.mon »

Believe I read somewhere that you can use the electronic photo from your passport renewal, or any other Govt electronically scanned mugshot.

Although in my case they'd have to Photoshop out the board I'm holding with my number on......

Anywho, it might save you the cost of a new photo.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Although in my case they'd have to Photoshop out the board I'm holding with my number on......
:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
naughty boy :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
seantopbloke

Post by seantopbloke »

I recently sent my licence off due to change of address, i received it this morning telling me i had not included the £20 renewal fee!!!!!!!!!!
Unf##kingbeleivable, i have to pay another £20 AND buy a new photo to send off, as well as buying a stamp to send it all off again, apparently licences expire now!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the bloody hell am i paying taxes for ?????
I dont claim from the dss, i pay a shocking amount of tax every month, i pay vehicle tax when required, i pay countless other taxes that we all have to pay regardless of our employment status, where the hell is all this money going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely there is some kind of complaints procedure ?

Rant over ! :Argue 1:
Its the sound of thunder at the back end that makes me smile at the front end !
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

you dont have to pay to notify change of address, but you do have to pay £20 to update your picture, every 10 years.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Recently had a reminder in the post, with address of local post office that can take the picture and do the deed electronically so hopefully they wont lose my entitlements :roll:

Hopefully this time I wont look like a terrorist!
Chillitt

Post by Chillitt »

I thought... That it was just the picture that expires.. The licence is good till you are 70.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

they renew both parts, so if you got a bit on yer license, take a photocopy of it so ya got proof of entitlements :D

We had loads at work, come back with things missing. one poor guy`s had to retake his bike test, as he couldnt prove it was on the license originally. 8O 8O

If you go to an approved post office, they take your picture, and fax the license through straight away, but they also cut up and destroy your old one on the spot.and you cant keep it :-(
pariah

Post by pariah »

To what ends will our goverment go to raise money. What small print will come out and on what document . FFS this country is going down hill fast . :thumbdown:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

marlbororman wrote: If you go to an approved post office, they take your picture, and fax the license through straight away, but they also cut up and destroy your old one on the spot.and you cant keep it :-(
for that reason imo its best to just report it lost rather than send it in.
at least you still have the original one as proof.
they will not accept photocopies as proof of entitlement.

you only pay the fee once (the higher fee) and it costs no more to replace a lost licence than it does to just update your picture.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
wiltsdan

Post by wiltsdan »

when you fill the form and send the cash etc. On the form there is a tick-box to say the old card is destroyed,
Do that and keep your old card safe for future ref...............Thats what i did anyway :shh:
No I can't spell.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

"What the bloody hell am i paying taxes for ?????
I dont claim from the dss, i pay a shocking amount of tax every month, i pay vehicle tax when required, i pay countless other taxes that we all have to pay regardless of our employment status, where the hell is all this money going!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

dont get me feckin started !!! my stepdaughter and her boyfriend have been down the council trying to get a council flat on account of having a sprog on the way and its becoming rapidly obvious that because they both work full time and cant turn up at short notice for essential ? appointments they are seriously disadvantaged in the race for a flat. me and her mother and her dad have collectivley paid getting on for 90 years worth of income tax , both of them pay tax but the lazy gets who dont have better chance....... Grrr
sorry about that...

ive still got a paper licence..

small celebration last week , my oldest speed fine expired..
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

I've still got the old green licence. Is it still valid? Never been told I need a photo thingy
seantopbloke

Post by seantopbloke »

The old ones are still valid, my advice is to keep hold of the old paper style licence for as long as you can, my mother still has hers , there is no need to get the new type unless you have to change your details, dont move house & you wont need to send it off to dvla racketeering branch for renewal ! :thumbdown:
Its the sound of thunder at the back end that makes me smile at the front end !
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Mine was due to renew in July. Reminder came in the post. Went to PO, they took picture, sent it all off to DVLA for me. New licence in 3 days in the post. What's the problem?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!