Transfer no claims bike to car?

General Biker Banter
vtryorks

Transfer no claims bike to car?

Post by vtryorks »

Hey guys,

A lad I know, who's 32 but only ever had bikes, is wanting to get a car for the first time. He told me that he's getting quoted well over a grand TPO on even a 1 litre.

I am absolutely positive that in my previous discussions with insurers they have mentioned that no claims bonus is transferable from bikes to cars, but not the other way around. I told him this and he said they all just said no, its not. He has 6 years no claims on big bikes.

Am I going nuts, or do insurers exist that will actually consider your bike no claims when looking at car insurance? Carole Nash do, but any others?

He tried Carole Nash, who wanted him to move his bike insurance to them too in order to access a car policy so that wasnt going to work for him I dont think.

I thought this might be an interesting point to raise, even though it is not for a forum member directly.

Any input, guru's?

Martin
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: Transfer no claims bike to car?

Post by cupasoop »

Nope, it's not transferrable I’ve been told by previous insurers.
Rich.

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

No its not transferable either way...I have tried too :(

Insurance is a rip at the best of times, but over a grand?? That sounds ridiculous, tell him to try getting a multi car policy with his mrs or someone who has some no claims and that way he builds up his own no claims.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

some insurers will - ebike for example, if you insure your car with them as well...
and vice versa - also company car insurance counts with some insurers, you just have to ring around & see who does & who doesnt't.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Cheers for the responses guys, eBike...that must be why I thought of it, I called them when I looked for my insurance for the VTR. I distinctly remember them saying only one way, bike to car.