what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
CB_Phil

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by CB_Phil »

Yeah, w/the winters gettin so bad I had to get somethin. Next time, not a chance! Itll be a proper garage & workshop. Couldnt go thru that again :lol:
Maybe I Don't Like Your Bike Either!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

simo wrote:Nice to hear CB Phil,I don't like to think of any VTR's staying out through the winter :biggrin
agree. i put mine away after the last ride at the beginning of december but neglected to hose it down....
rode my cheapy kwak all through winter and in march got the storm out of hibernation to find it completely fkt, all the ally eaten away by salt, rust on the forks, brakes seized, rusty chain etc....
my fault for not doing my usual all over chain spray routine before salt season :Ball Kick:

what have i done today???
cleaned it, lubed the chain, refixed camera mounts and fitted baffles back in...
reason? got an ear infection atm so dont want to wear ear plugs all day if i can help it.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Just fitted a Power Commander III USB to my ancient SP1. Just wanted to be sure the fueling was right rather than improve performance. Loaded the program I thought was closest to my setup and took it for a test ride.

Well it must have been way off 'cus its now going like a train. Bloody brilliant :D

Took about an hour, includung removing the duff item I bought off e-bay (that's another story!).

I'll take it to be properly set up when I can. It costs £150, but probably worth it.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

nice one jag... i did the throttle on mine this morning, got it to about 1/4 turn & it's mental!!!
have you done the flapper mod on it yet? on the intake flap?
takes 2 mins to do and the difference in midrange is incredible! :twisted:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Hi Benny

I noticed a mention of the flapper being removed on one of the PS III programmes. What is it? and how do I remove it?
I presume its there to regulate the ram-air effect?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

look just in front of the speedo pod... see that thing that looks like a horn, with a pipe connected to it?
its connected to a vacuum solenoid and when the rpm hits 5.5k it partially closes the intake to restrict airbox noise.
for a quick fix just pull the pipe off and plug it with an m6 bolt.
the flap is normally open so the intake will be unrestricted with the pipe off.
the difference is very noticeable. :twisted:

i removed the flapper completely from mine yesterday and did the quick action throttle mod & it is absolutely mental lol! massive improvement!
next job is to remove the pair system, fit a 15t sprocket - dont see the point in doing 75 in 1st gear lol!
next after that is get hold of a spare flywheel and turn a few lb off it, and see if the cams on the storm will go in it... then get it back on the dyno.

had a play with the suspension settings yesterday and am very happy with the results... very responsive and predictable. :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://www.rc51.org/valve.htm
Jaglifter wrote:Hi Benny

I noticed a mention of the flapper being removed on one of the PS III programmes. What is it? and how do I remove it?
I presume its there to regulate the ram-air effect?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Thanks guys. Very useful, I'm definatley going to try this.

My bike already has reduced gearing and its much more practical on the road.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I bought a nearly new set of Viper oval cans off eBay last week, so when I got back from Reading Festival this morning, after throwing all my kit in the washing machine, I quickly fitted the l/h side to see what the looked like.
Looks good :D , but I was too knackered to even bother getting the bike moved away from the wall so I could fit the RH one :lol:

Didn't even take a photo!
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

took the storm out today for a ride round wales.... more or less the same route we did on the last rhayader meet.
miraculously managed to dodge the rain for 360 miles with a pillion :)
got to borth & aber & it was toasty warm.
was also surprised at the lack of plod, compared to last year when i ended up with a ban for being naughty.

what is surprising to me, as i dont usually carry a passenger, is the extra weight and balance difference just isnt noticeable at all, apart from having to exercise extra caution at the lights lol!
if anything, i'd say the storm handles better with a passenger :thumbup:

after riding pillion on a busa, zzr14, street triple, fazer thou, goldwing and others, she commented that nothing else has accelerated so fast and smooth on corners and overtaking, or leant so low in the bends!!!
was getting a bit excited on the 483 (my favourite road) so got told to slow down lol!
but what a great ride - and what a great bike! :biggrin
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

benny hedges wrote:took the storm out today for a ride round wales.... more or less the same route we did on the last rhayader meet.
miraculously managed to dodge the rain for 360 miles with a pillion :)
got to borth & aber & it was toasty warm.
was also surprised at the lack of plod, compared to last year when i ended up with a ban for being naughty.

what is surprising to me, as i dont usually carry a passenger, is the extra weight and balance difference just isnt noticeable at all, apart from having to exercise extra caution at the lights lol!
if anything, i'd say the storm handles better with a passenger :thumbup:

after riding pillion on a busa, zzr14, street triple, fazer thou, goldwing and others, she commented that nothing else has accelerated so fast and smooth on corners and overtaking, or leant so low in the bends!!!
was getting a bit excited on the 483 (my favourite road) so got told to slow down lol!
but what a great ride - and what a great bike! :biggrin
Pillion eh? Is that why you dusted off the Storm?

Who was she?

Wasnt that girl you were talking about that leaves a snail trail on your seat with the vibration of the bike is it? :lol: :lol:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Miztaziggy wrote: Pillion eh? Is that why you dusted off the Storm?

Who was she?

Wasnt that girl you were talking about that leaves a snail trail on your seat with the vibration of the bike is it? :lol: :lol:
ah, sworn to secrecy m8.... cant reveal!
& no, the one who leaves a mess is well known for it on nwb - wasnt her lol! :biggrin

oh & btw rofl at the guy on the yellow daytona at devils bridge, hammering into bends with his knee down, gets his ass handed to him by a 10 year old storm 2 up, sit up & beg stylee :Ball Kick:
Phill_vtr

Post by Phill_vtr »

Today I did a little something to each of the bikes -

Checked oil,tyres etc on the cockroach

Painted frame (badly) and dry fitted swingarm to GSXR

Started to strip rear caliper before deciding it was crap and realizing that I would need to hook up a m/c to pump the rotten pistons out

Refitted the engine covers and rear oil lines to the GSXR lump

and lubed the chain on the VTR which I forgot to do when I fitted the new tyre last week

Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Today I disconnected the airbox flapper valve on the SP. Then loaded a PCIII program which seemed closest.
Now its really sharp.
Good mod. Thanks guys.
cliveyandrews

what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by cliveyandrews »

Fitted new pegs, tried to change my heatshield mounts from jubilee to S/S clamps - and failed. Sized up for S/S bolts and washers. Looked at fitting the Tutoro oiler, didn't. Gave it a thorough bloody good nuts and bolts check - preventative maintenance that's simple, cheap and a lifesaver!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.635301,-1.708000
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================