How's it hingin?

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Private Reg

How's it hingin?

Post by Private Reg »

Hello all :D

Recently joined the mad hordes and bought myself a 1997 Storm... :eh: I wish I'd found this site before hand as I now live in fear of the dreaded CCT disease. Mine has 27k on the clock with no service history or any thing to back up that they've been changed at anytime, other than the pink/orange dot that I've read so much about on here.

Ridden bikes for 30 years now and being a slightly built chap never thought I'd handle a "Big" bike and rode nothing more than 600's. Last bike was an ER6-n and loved the grunt of the twin which took me back to my early times on trail bikes. Other than the rust quick frame I can't knock the Kwak for fun and grin factor and saw me through these last two biblically cold winters......but then I saw the Firestorm in the local bikeshop and after much haggling a deal was struck.

Love the bike, love the old look, love the colour red and love the sound but unfortunately my neighbours don't :eek2 I work shifts and the sound of my Storm setting off for work at 5.00am has resulted in a few snide looks. :Argue: I have the original cans fitted but the baffles have been removed by a previous owner. I know this is going to sound girly but.....does anybody know where I can obtain the original baffles so I can fit when travelling off to work but also remove when i'm not :thumbup: I've tried ebay and breakers but they are like trying to find hen's teeth! Ebay sell plenty of the original cans but I aint going to fork out for a whole can!

Thank you for reading ... :wave:

Reg :D
AMCQ46

Re: How's it hingin?

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club.

CCTs are a risk even if they have been replaced. Either do the stopper mod, or fit manuals ASAP.

Regarding the pipes, you can't refit the baffles to the stock pipes, it is a brutal removal process which can't be reversed :thumbdown:

You will have to get a set of unmolested pipes off e bay if you want to go quiet, or push your bike to the end of the street each morning :)
AMcQ
charlie2ie

Post by charlie2ie »

Hi and welcome. :D I am a small fellow myself but I don't let it bother me, my other bike is a Buell Ulysses.
After looking at this forum I was also worried sick about the cct's. Didn't relax until I fitted manuals,
not a big job if you follow the instructions on here to the letter.
Don't know about your neighbours but most people I know love the sound of a V-twin, maybe not at 5 in the morning though,
I have Remus cans with no baffles and
it sounds like heaven. :twisted:
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

push to end of street looks like the best option, it will wake you up and a bit of excersise :lol:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

my neighbours never seem to like bikes no matter what time of day it is- tough luck as I'm in a culdesac and appart from mine theres a R1 with full race pipes and a KTM, and if any of them want to come and complain, then I will just remind them about ned kids staggering back full of Buckie at the weekend. :Ball Kick:
See if you can pick up some OE pipes as they really are quite neighbour friendly in "warm up" mode!!
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Private Reg

Post by Private Reg »

AMCQ46 wrote:Welcome to the club.

Regarding the pipes, you can't refit the baffles to the stock pipes, it is a brutal removal process which can't be reversed :thumbdown:

You will have to get a set of unmolested pipes off e bay if you want to go quiet, or push your bike to the end of the street each morning :)
:lol:

Believe it or not mate but I used to push the Kwak up the street and be out of breath before starting and that was approx 40 kg lighter! I'll knock on the doors and ask if they want to donate to some ebay pipes in a few weeks time, they should be tired of hearing me by then :lol:

thanks for the advice :wink:
Private Reg

Post by Private Reg »

[quote="charlie2ie"]

After looking at this forum I was also worried sick about the cct's. Didn't relax until I fitted manuals,
quote]

Bugger, you've set me away panicing again now! :lol: I thought I'd gotten over it and now it's back like a lil parrot on my shoulder..."that springs gonna snap". :biggrin

Not much use with the spanners ...* hangs head in shame after 30 years biking. I can push to an oil change and chain tension but after that I'm as useless as a useless CCT :?

I shall re-visit that thread and take in whats involved and save some pennies for some manuals :wink:
Private Reg

Post by Private Reg »

Diabolus wrote:push to end of street looks like the best option, it will wake you up and a bit of excersise :lol:
:problem: exercise? whats that then? :confused I thought pulling in clutch levers and brake levers counted as exercise! :think:

Fact 30 minutes hard riding is equal to 4 years of going to the gym :D only you don't get to see ladies in tight lycra :eek2
Private Reg

Post by Private Reg »

grumpyfrog wrote:my neighbours never seem to like bikes no matter what time of day it is- tough luck as I'm in a culdesac and appart from mine theres a R1 with full race pipes and a KTM, and if any of them want to come and complain, then I will just remind them about ned kids staggering back full of Buckie at the weekend. :Ball Kick:
See if you can pick up some OE pipes as they really are quite neighbour friendly in "warm up" mode!!
Right on Mr Frog :wink:

It's different when I'm on nights and in bed through the day and they're out cutting their frikkin grass and blasting music :evil: I think I might just go even louder next time I'm on days :angel:
Private Reg

Post by Private Reg »

CCTs are a risk even if they have been replaced. Either do the stopper mod, or fit manuals ASAP.

Oh, and I forgot to ask..How is it brutal? I thought they were just baffles held in by a 4mm bolt through the hole on the silencer!! :eek2
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Private Reg wrote:

Oh, and I forgot to ask..How is it brutal? I thought they were just baffles held in by a 4mm bolt through the hole on the silencer!! :eek2
no m8 theyare welded in and not removable without a drill & grinder!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Private Reg

Post by Private Reg »

benny hedges wrote:
Private Reg wrote:

no m8 theyare welded in and not removable without a drill & grinder!

Oh bullocks :sad2

New pipes it is then!

cheers benny
darkember

Post by darkember »

Hi there & welcome. Pipes wise best option would be to get a set of after markets eg: Scorpion/Remus or ART. Usually can pick up a set off ebay for 60-150 depending on condition including the link pipes. These units have removable DB killers & if they dont they are available on the net. :thumbup:
Private Reg

Post by Private Reg »

darkember wrote:Hi there & welcome. Pipes wise best option would be to get a set of after markets eg: Scorpion/Remus or ART. Usually can pick up a set off ebay for 60-150 depending on condition including the link pipes. These units have removable DB killers & if they dont they are available on the net. :thumbup:
Thanx Darkember :plainsmile

Looks like I've solved my problem :D Mate at work who's an engineer took a few measurements and knocked these up for me. Basically they're a cup with a smaller diameter pipe inside that sits inside of the silencer and bolt through from the bottom so they can be removed for noisy days :clap: They may look a bit scooterish but I kind of like it :thumbup: they quieten down the noise a tad too :shh: and give a rather tuneful note.

hmmmm can't seem to work out hoe to upload the pic....will post soon :wave:
Private Reg

Post by Private Reg »

hmmm I'll get there in the end lol