Legal Cans

General Biker Banter
Rod66

Legal Cans

Post by Rod66 »

Hi I have some loud cans on my newly purchased VTR, but it says on them "NOT FOR ROAD USE", but I think the bike is set up for these cans but I would like some cans that I can use on the road legally, what will happen if I get stopped by police? It sounds like a Duccati sports bike
Regards
Rod
Wicky

Re: Legal Cans

Post by Wicky »

You could have a problem at MOT time, depending on which way the tester is looking. If you keep loud cans then make sure everything else is in order if you happpen to get stooped i,e have a correct sized no. plate or ride like a dork as they'll be looking over you and the bike for anything else incriminating. So far in a decade I've been told by an officer either what a nice sound they make or if they catch me again with them on then my goolies will be used for conkers.

To remove the NOT FOR ROAD USE just get it mechanically polished off. If you're lucky your MOT tester/mechanic will perform said job, earning themselves £10 before passing them no problem or sumfink.
think the bike is set up for these cans
Have you an aftermarket filter / Jet kit fitted. Any dyno charts when you bought it with specs? I do recommend that the carbs are correctly set up to work with open /less restrictive cans on a dyno, so you know that performance is enhanced rather than 'all noise but no go', and that potential issues of running too lean are avoided.

i.e

If the noise bothers you (or your neighbours) then your options are good quality earplugs and/or looking on ebay for standard cans (which weigh as much as cast iron from a neutron star) on eblag.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you could always put in some d/b killers and as wicky said get the {not for road use polished off}
worst ways keep your eyes on ebay for an after market pair that are road legal, i wouldn't worry about the legalities its rare for the police to pull you on that, they might say something if they have pulled you for bad riding and then say something about the exhaust, but i'm sure you dont ride badly......... :lol:

something like this.........
http://vi.ebaydesc.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... 3&caz.html
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
alz4321

Post by alz4321 »

I'm a class 1 and 2 mot tester and the guidance is that if it says not for road use/track use only etc it's a fail and it is also a fail if A silencer that is in such a condition or is of such a type that the noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition. But without a standard machine next to it who is to say ? I don't fail noisy one's as a rule.... So I'd get the not for road use scrubbed off and off you go.
Rod66

Post by Rod66 »

So where would I go to get NOT FOR ROAD USE removed/scrubbed off??
rob...

Post by rob... »

into your shed/garage.
use a file. then 120 grit paper, then progressively finer paper down to 1200, then polish. should take you about an hour a can.......
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
Rod66

Post by Rod66 »

I'm sure i'll mess it up so I better pay some one to do a proper job :D :D
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

How about some heat resistant sticky tape when just outside the MOT centre, my tester says he cant remove the tape so he cant see the "Not for road use".......
alz4321

Post by alz4321 »

That's fine for Mot but doesn't help at the side of the road when you've been pulled.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Could try hypnotism. *Look into my eyes....*

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
mattster

Post by mattster »

Hmm... the mot guy I use doesn't actually start the bike when he's testing it... I ride up to the front of his garage (with the clutch in! sshh! :shh: ) and leave the bike outside.

He then just shoves it in, checks it all over, then shoves it back out again with (or without!) an mot cert... never mentions exhausts at all!

:thumbup:
wiltsdan

Post by wiltsdan »

Got loud "migs" on mine, never taken them off for MOT.
And they also say not for road use in small letters. Always passes/never been pulled for it. Just have a standerd set at home so you can tell the nice officer that you will change them back as soon as you get home. :thumbup:
No I can't spell.