CCT Failure Front or Rear?

General Bike chat
W@zzA

CCT Failure Front or Rear?

Post by W@zzA »

Has anybody else except RQ had a rear CCT go on them? I asked Tippets if the Varedero had the same problems and they don't but it uses a different CCT and it dosn't fit the VTR, WHY NOT???????? this only confirms there was a problem and they have fixed it :!:

So a poll :idea: Front or Rear CCT failure :?: and just out of interest can anybody remember What oil they were using when they've had a CCT failure as they said the cause of failure was down to oil type.

Warren
Last edited by W@zzA on Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Warren,

It has nothing to do with the oil as the front cct never touches the oil as it is sticking out the top of the engine just off the vertical. If the failure was only happening on the rear then it could have been a possibility as the rear fills with oil from the cam chain dragging the oil up the cam chain guide and then gravity does the rest. Go and slap the dealer around the head.

Del.
W@zzA

CCT

Post by W@zzA »

I know Del its a bit far fetched, but on a long shot dont you think its worth finding out!

Warren
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.
tradedog

cct failure

Post by tradedog »

cct failure is caused by one thing, and one thing only, the spring breaks. Mine broke running on normal oil not synthetic.

What causes it to break is crap design, pure and simple. The spring is not up to the job. Vibration, heat, crap material who knows? Point is, these springs break and secondary piece of crap design is that when it breaks the cct will slowly retract under pressure from the cam chain till the chain jumps a tooth on the cam sprockets.

The half solution is to modify the cct so that it cannot retract even if the spring breaks.

There are some ideas in the post "cct mod" on this page.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I've replace two fronts. First one at 18,500 and then again at 26,000 ish.
Now I'm coming up to 30,000 and when cold I,m hearing those little tell tell signs from the rear.
Most of the time I've always use Silcoleene Semi-sinth.
The tensioners might be a pain but I haven't heared of any one not having a rattle/slap noise coming from them before they let go.
Keep your ears open and change em quick I say.

Pete.l
Max

Post by Max »

My front CCT started making the strange noises at about 6000 miles. So they both got thrown away and I've gone manual, though tonys ideas look interesting.
victor

CCT

Post by victor »

Has any one with a later VTR (F2) had a problem with the CCT or does it only affect early bikes?

Mark
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Victor/mark??
split personality? No Don't answer that.

Welcome on board :lol: Sorry i missed your first post to welcome you then :oops:
Better late than never :D
It's all the Storms i'm afraid :cry: new,old or indifferent the cct doesn't mind, it can let anyone down.
Don't worry too much though, keep your ears open and If it makes a slapping noise switch off quick and have em checked out.

Pete.l
RAINMAKER

cct

Post by RAINMAKER »

Well I've had a little rattle for a while now, can't tell if its front or rear, bit intermittant.
Of course did'nt do it when at the dealers for 12,000 but they noticed it last week at 17,500. Now going to replace both, but have a question
How do you change them..........idiots guide
step by step..............anyone able to tell me how with the benefit of experience..................could save lots if I could do it myself, ok I,m a bit thick and would rather have it done right.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Paul
Bin searching for an hour now and cant find it :evil:
Del did a reallly good write up earlier this year with a full idiots guide.
Get searching, i'm sure you can find it. if not, give me a shout and I'll write you up one

Pete.l
(or maybe Del could arange with Firestorm Al to keep a copy at the Front page in a "How To" section maybe
:twisted: Hee hee, Love volentering other people to do work :twisted:
kevg

Post by kevg »

come on Iggy, this sounds right up your street.
cheerz

kev
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

:lol: ha! :lol:
If iggy writes it we're all going to be down B&Q in the tool section looking for Fluerdi Grips and under our carbs for Fou Fou Valves.

Pete.l :wink:
rumbler

CCT

Post by rumbler »

This month's Bike features buying a used Storm. There's a ref to manual CCTs from Debben Racing http://www.debben.co.uk and the article is only £34 each. Seems a steal, anyone tried them? I would have thought adjustment at 4,000 mile service would be enough, though it might be tricky getting the tension exactly right.

Rum.
Max

Post by Max »

The Debben Racing ones are APE manual tensioners form the USA, Theres a guy in NZ using them and he's happy and I've done about 2500 miles with them and they seem fine. There seems to be a general dislike of these on the forum, but I think they are fine and the bike seems to rev higher, though I did check cam timing and balance the carbs at the same time so it could be coincidence.

http://www.aperaceparts.com/
http://www.morrowmarsh.ca/concours/tech ... manual.htm

There's another page some where that explains that if they are correctly tensioned then they reduce wear to the cam chain and guides as they dont preload everything like the std tensioner. You pays your money and takes your choice really.

Stands back to await anti manual tensioner brigade :lol:
rumbler

Manual CCT

Post by rumbler »

Thanks Max, I'm taking the front CCT out this afternoon to check it, bike is a bit rattly and you don't have to be paranoid to worry about CCTs if you read the threads. Interesting that the APE manual device seems to be designed for Kawasakis and their auto CCT is praised on other threads!

Earplugs are not enough.