2 into 1

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: 2 into 1

Post by tony.mon »

Trouble with this is that the "tuned length" of the pipes helps to scavenge the exhaust gases, but a 2:1 system has a different length for each pipe.
Some benefits may be experienced, but some disadvantages, too. There's two lengths involved, and two different tuned reflective waves....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

I'm still confused as to how the original system was any good...surely 2 separate equal length manifolds would have been the ideal? I understand this isnt always aesthetically pleasing. Just don't understand why the full systems I have found for the Storm still utilise the 2-1-2 design?! Must be restrictive in some way?!
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

I think (?) the idea is that the gases from the other exhaust helps "pulls" the exhaust gas from the cylinder.. Like paint being "sucked" up in an airbrush... Kind of!
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Well wombles my old boots, learn something new every day :thumbup:
seb421

Post by seb421 »

sonofpat1969 wrote:I think (?) the idea is that the gases from the other exhaust helps "pulls" the exhaust gas from the cylinder.. Like paint being "sucked" up in an airbrush... Kind of!
yes that would be my thinking too as one is on the up stoke as one is on the down stroke, it might create some kind vacuum helping drag / draw expel gasses passed by the other cylinder as it fires

would be interesting to see the same motor on a dyno run with a 2-1-2 and a 2 - 2 system back to back
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

seb421 wrote:would be interesting to see the same motor on a dyno run with a 2-1-2 and a 2 - 2 system back to back
Where's Tony when u need him? lol
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Do you think performing any kind of mechanical work on the bike is wise fella? I refer the jury to exhibit A -
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19107
Just a thought.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Snoogle wrote:
seb421 wrote:would be interesting to see the same motor on a dyno run with a 2-1-2 and a 2 - 2 system back to back
Where's Tony when u need him? lol
I've done it, never dyno'd though.
Dropped a bike on black ice a few years back, wrecked RH side can, so blanked it off with a swan-off deodorant can and hose clamps and ran it with just the LH side carbon can.
That was as near straight-through as they get, so very little restriction to ex gasses.
I wouldn't think it would work at all well with a standard can.

Seat of the pants result was slight increase in torque at the lower mid-range, but nothing to write home about, small loss (2BHP at a guess) top end.

Really didn't make much difference, tbh I really only noticed the difference when I put the rebuilt can back on, and it revved at the top end better.
But then, it was winter; you don't ride quite as balls-out under slippery conditions, so it's less noticeable.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sonofpat1969

Post by sonofpat1969 »

Kev L wrote:Do you think performing any kind of mechanical work on the bike is wise fella? I refer the jury to exhibit A -
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19107
Just a thought.
I must admit to a recent history of mechanical f#@#uperry...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk