Newbee!!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
SMITH MEISTER

Newbee!!

Post by SMITH MEISTER »

Hi All!!

I'm a newbee so be gentle! Just a little bit about me:
I live in Boston lincs, I've had my storm since March last year & I'm loving it!!
I do a bit of engineering in my spare time & I love nothing more than fabricating custom parts for my mates cars or bikes. I have recently built a 400cc go-kart just for a laugh (it's f***in' quick).

I'm currently looking at doing an airbox mod on the storm (K&N + top removal + dynojet kit) any suggestions or advice? Anyone on here done the same? If so what sort of gains should expect & is it worth a rollin' road session??

Look forward to your input, Smithy. :D
turbo_billy

Re: Newbee!!

Post by turbo_billy »

Welcome in mate. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home :wave:
Jester666

Post by Jester666 »

Wotcha! :wave:
Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat!
Silver 1998 'Storm! That keeps trying to kill me! And is leaving me soon! :(
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Welcome from another Lincs lad, where do you get out to ride? I'm from Lincoln myself so try to get up to Willy Woods and Skeg Vegas when I get chance (and my bike is on the road lol)

I thought it was a bad idea to mess about with the airbox on the Storm, think I read something on the Superhawk forum about it? Could be wrong though.
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
SMITH MEISTER

Post by SMITH MEISTER »

Hi Snoogle,

I like to go up to horncastle from time to time, also stamford & bourne etc, tend not to bother with skeg much as it's only spitting distance for me.
As for the airbox, I've read conflicting info, some say it's worth an extra 8 to 10 HP but it will need re-jetting if I go the whole hog. Others say it won't make all that much difference & may make the engine run lean unless properly set up?
Radomenes

Post by Radomenes »

Hi buddy
lloydie

Newbee!!

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Smithy :thumbup:

I can't help you with the airbox mod, but I'm sure someone will soon be along who can give you some pointers. Changing the airbox/filter set-up from standard on the Storm is quite challenging, so good luck with it,

Chris.
SMITH MEISTER

Post by SMITH MEISTER »

Just want to say thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome!
I would certainly like some advice on the airbox thing. I've bought a second airbox lid for chopping up purposes, so I can go back to standard if needed. I have also bought the K&N but as yet have not fitted it, not sure abt the jet kit yet? All suggestions welcome. :biggrin
tankslappa

Post by tankslappa »

Howdy, I'm a newbie myself, but they seem to be a friendly bunch.

Good to see you've got the best colour :biggrin
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings wold wanderer - Often pop up to Lincs though learnt my lesson the hard way speeding on your lovely straights

Any hoo airbox tinkering on the VTR is a mystic art, and mods while working on a IL4 fall flat on their face when replicated on the Storm's breathing apparatus, though heavily modded racing Storm's a la Rodger Ditchfield / Moriwaki ones have been made to work.

Here's a recent thread on an experimental open air filter being tried out by VTR grogs.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22519

I've got a K&N, Dynojet kit and aftermarket cans and with a with a bit of work on a dyno tidied up the curves, nothing massive up top about 5-10bhp. With spondoolies thrown at performance bits 130bhp is gettable - though at that cost an upgrade to an SP is an alternative proposition.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
SMITH MEISTER

Post by SMITH MEISTER »

Hi Wicky, thanks for the info.
Looks like going topless (pardon the pun) is going to be more trouble than it's worth.
Perhaps just the K&N + re-jet on standard airbox is the way to go. I do have after market cans as well, but thats it as far as engine mod's go. I would like to fit the jet kit myself, but I'm worried about getting the set up right.
Is it worth the dyno time or can it be done via trial & error method. :confused
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Welcome mate :) fair few yellows on here now
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club,

If you have a good search on here and also on the super hawk forum you will see a lot of people have tried to run without the air box lid, and really struggled to get it to work. Even removing the plastic that sits in front of the air intake filling the bottom of the frame area has been found to totally screw up the fuelling.

Tony.mon is working with a prototype from an air filter supplier to see if they can come up with a solution that gets better air capacity, but keeps a good flow patern to the carbs. Have a look for that thread.
AMcQ