Ultrasonic Cleaner

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Kev L

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Kev L »

Has anyone used one of the DIY type ultrasonic cleaners available? I have had a look on Youtube and some of the reviews on the net and they appear to offer good results, although a lot of the Vids are Americans cleaning cartridges for re-loading not my intended use! I am cleaning up a set of carbs ready for installing my Factory Pro kit and these seem like a good option to bring the carbs back to "as new" condition.
Maplins do two, one is quite small doesn't have a heater in it but would probably hold the stripped components of the carbs, but the second is larger, has a 2l tank, a heater built in and looks like it would be able to handle the carb bodies as well. They come in at £49 for the smaller and £99 for the larger.
So has anyone used them? What were/are the results like? Is it a worthwhile investment bearing in mind the item would be put up for loan in the useful tools section.
Your comments are welcome except for any which involve putting my bike in there to wash the colour off! So that should exclude Lee, Carl, Mac, Lloydie from making any comments!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
leevtr

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by leevtr »

PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:silent: :lol: :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by lloydie »

:( !!!
It would be batter and cheeper to have the pros do it
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Could the carbs be lacquered afterwards so they don't tarnish. I would love to clean mine up but they are going to discolour so quick it's not worth it. Or is it. :roll:

Maybe I could get them carbon wrapped. :biggrin

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The most relevant part of the cleaning process is that the jets & needles are cleaned without poking bits of wire etc through them. With regard to the surface cleaning it would seem it removes the dirt only. I would be really interested to hear from someone who has actually used one.
Lloydie the idea would be that it would be available to other folk on the forum as well as me and my projects, so the initial outlay would hopefully be offset by savings for other folk, so that may make it "batter". :wave:
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i came close to buying a parts washer a few months ago, but the ultrasonic jobbies look excellent but not cheap and not very big either. if i was going to strip my bike down again, i'd buy one and bit by bit clean the lot. let me know if you get one kev, that way i can borrow it from you :lol: :lol: :lol:
i wonder if theres business's out there that could provide the service for you kev.
i'll be cleaning my carbs next weekend, when carl gives my bike a tune up. i've only got a lowly dynojet kit, i bet you bought the factory pro ti jet kit didn't you :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

:oops: :thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

its probably to small, but maplins ahve a specail tinternet deal only £30
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ultra-7000-ultr ... ner-223108
i didn't see internal dimensions, i reckon to be worth your while you'd have to be able to get a brake caliper into it.
i'm just trying to think what else you could use it for.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
pete1781

Post by pete1781 »

We have a 5 gallon one at work(joinery company) for cleaning machine tooling etc, actually never tried putting anything bike related in it but have a mini moto I easy gonna recon as a little project, maybe I'll throw some bits in and see how it comes out, might even be able to help some of you guys out for a small fee if the boss doesn't mind, I'll try it first and report back ;)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A parts cleaner/washer is different to an ultrasonic cleaner.
The bigger Maplins one looks useful.
The best US cleaners have a decent sized tank, but you'll struggle to get the carb assy in one unless you completely strip the bodies from the side plates- not sure why you'd want to do this.

A heater option is a very good thing, as heating to around 70 degrees helps parts clean a lot quicker.

I'd definitely like both of these bits of kit in my garage, but don't have space.
It's my final frontier.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you'd have space if you gave your mans caves a good clean out tony................. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just found this while surfing. sh1t site and you have to zoom in and read. But a very interesting read. :thumbup:

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... ing_v7.swf

babysitter

Post by babysitter »

We use these cleaner all the time to clean lawnmower carbs in the one we use is a 9ltr hot type with timer cost over £650, No good with out heat and a special cemical for carbs & alloy not the same one that cleans jewellery or coins, Gets them like new
Unleaded fuel goes off after to weeks in the carb and left all winter gums up the carb jets and air ways.
Harley Davidson Roadking 1690 / Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster
54 Honda Varadero XL1000 / Honda Firestorm Red,/ BSA B40WD Trials,
/Audi TT 225 / Foard Transit T300/ VW Touareg
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

So by Carls link and BabySitters experience, that Maplins one will be no good.

Time for Baby sitter to start a side line?

:beer: