Exhaust Insulation Wrap

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
darrenmartin

Exhaust Insulation Wrap

Post by darrenmartin »

Hey guys we all are well aware that the rear exhaust down pipe sits way too close to the rear shock! So iv been a little perplexed (it's a posh word for confused Seb)as to why no 1 has yet posted,that they have wrapped one or both exhaust's in insulation tape.
Now many of you guys have got a huge amount of knowledge as far as the best way to look after our Storm's are concerned.
So is the wrapping of the exhaust's,futile ( a waste of time Seb :wink: ) or is it some thing that could and indeed should be "looked into in depth" Many thanks guys :thumbup:
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning
seb421

Re: Exhaust Insulation Wrap

Post by seb421 »

It's popular with the American lads personally I don't like it and think the pipe should not be wrapped, it would only aid cooling if it was wet with air flowing over it.
it may be cooler to the touch but internal will be hotter
As for the linkage I don't think it will get hot enough to melt the grease or cause other issues, I would be more concerned with salt and sh1t from the road,

I have a few spare temp monitors I could strap one to the rear link closest to the rear pipe and see what it gets to on a ride on a hot day I might try out

Sent from the Bat Cave via Cup and String
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

darrenmartin wrote:Hey guys we all are well aware that the rear exhaust down pipe sits way too close to the rear shock! So iv been a little perplexed (it's a posh word for confused Seb)as to why no 1 has yet posted,that they have wrapped one or both exhaust's in insulation tape.
Now many of you guys have got a huge amount of knowledge as far as the best way to look after our Storm's are concerned.
So is the wrapping of the exhaust's,futile ( a waste of time Seb :wink: ) or is it some thing that could and indeed should be "looked into in depth" Many thanks guys :thumbup:
Ha Ha. I would imagine that no one has tried insulation tape as it would melt. :wink:

You do of course mean exhaust wrap don't you.

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Now who's stuffed their words muhahahaha (evil laugh)

Sent from the Bat Cave via Cup and String
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

:lol: yes Mac i did m8...............and Seb gets his revenge :cry: a little too quickly for my liking! :wink:
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Dont forget it you wrap it start from the rear / silencer end from the pipes and soak it in water first :thumbup:
Loud pipes save lives!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You beat me to it Mac I was thinking the same thing. :lol: :lol:

The principle being the exhaust wrap is that it's cooler to the touch and runs hotter internally as mentioned. The hotter internal heat supposedly helps with the burning of (I can't remember the term) excess vapors in the (scavenging, that's it) It burns off the excess left overs that get wasted through the exhaust system instead of wasting it, it gets burned off. This in turn supposedly gives a bit more power. Whether that's true or not is debatable.

The downside to exhaust wrapping is that it's tricky to apply as it don't stick and is held with wire wrapped around it, to hold it in place. You would need the headers off to do a good job. Also it's believed that the moisture ie. rain, salt etc absorbs into it which aids in the speeding up process of corrosion.

As Seb said it's more of a Yank thing, check out the Superhawk forum, loads of info over there. :thumbup:

Have Fun.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

:thumbup: cheers m8.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Im considering doing mine, i like the look of black painted pipes with either titanium or black exhaust wrap. its advisable to paint them before wraping because, as was said above its a moisture trap. it also been said it can cause premature cracking but a bit of care while applying it should avoid hotspots, im replacing my system before the MOTs due in July, so i'll put pics up of what i do. :thumbup:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I have rear pipe wrapped. Cannot consider theoretical better cooling of rear cylinder and effect on rear shock, but when cruising in city, seat is significantly cooler. So it could work.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have a look at this as an alternative- I've been considering this for a while, but no point getting a standard system coated if I'm going to go big-bore exhaust in the future.
http://www.zircotec.com/page/bikes/155

Their heat shield looks impressive too.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

tony.mon wrote:Have a look at this as an alternative- I've been considering this for a while, but no point getting a standard system coated if I'm going to go big-bore exhaust in the future.
http://www.zircotec.com/page/bikes/155

Their heat shield looks impressive too.
i looked into this last year, they can coat the inside and outside of the exhaust, not cheap tho but probably the best solution, exhaust wrap can look scruffy after a while if ridden thru winter, on cars it doesn't matter so much because more often than not the exhaust can't be seen, i believe theres a spray you can apply onto the exhaust wrap once its fitted which helps with this problem....
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
TechyMatt

Post by TechyMatt »

This is something im looking into at the moment too and aware that a few places have commented on exhaust wrap being absorbant, it encourages corrosion if ridden all year with being checked. Some places claim to have water resistant wrap so i am currently waiting to hear back if they think it will be suitable for bikes as normally this is done in cars.

One site i did find useful (although american) will tell you how much wrap you need which is always useful.
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/pages ... culator/57

Ill update here once i hear back from the company i contacted as it works out i need about 16feet of wrap (allowing for errors using the above link) which is about £13 including 10 metal cable ties off the old 'bay.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

there is a spray you can buy, that you apply once the wrap is fitted, its supposed to help it against the elements, not sure where you find it tho....
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

==============================Enter the Darkside