Broadband, routers etc

General Biker Banter
BigVeeGrin

Broadband, routers etc

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Moving into rented next week and looking at broadband

Anyone a Plusnet customer? They do a good package on a rolling monthly contract

Routers - can you use one they don't supply. On ebay there are identical ones (it seems) for a few quid, rather that than pay £40 for the new one

:thumbup:
edds11

Re: Broadband, routers etc

Post by edds11 »

its all about mega thingy mawotsits, the more the merrier......... :crazy:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Whatever speeds Plusnet or any other ISP are offering you will be limited to what the local exchange can supply and the distance you are from the exchange amongst many other factors.

Yes you can use a third part modem/router which, depending on what you use your computer for, is normally a better option.

http://www.broadband-guide.org.uk/

(:-})
Last edited by VTRDark on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============================Enter the Darkside
seb421

Post by seb421 »

If you can get Virgin get it, had many over time but none better or more reliable than Virgin has been
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
spider13

Post by spider13 »

ive just dumped virgin ben a customer for years but lately there broadband has been terrible,so now gone over to sky and its 100 times better
steve :D
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

BigVeeGrin wrote:Routers - can you use one they don't supply. On ebay there are identical ones (it seems) for a few quid, rather that than pay £40 for the new one

£40 gets you a real good quality router.

You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

:lol: that's a transformer surely
Rob

Post by Rob »

You can probably use almost anything. I'm with BT Infnity but have an Asus Rt-n66u with TomatoUSB (shibby) firmware. Free 3rd party firmware can transform a normal router into something with a feature set that would normally be stupidly expensive. Reasearch required though as you normally get extra functionality but other stuff might be broken....
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

spider13 wrote:ive just dumped virgin ben a customer for years but lately there broadband has been terrible,so now gone over to sky and its 100 times better
That's funny as I have just sacked sky as they were so shite & gone to BT which is much faster. As BT own all the cables & gubbins it runs through you expect it to be better than anyone else. Whoever you go with you still have to 'rent' the phone line from BT. Virgin cable excepted that is.

Where I am the is no high speed broadband but I have been surprised by how much faster BT is than Sky.

It's so easy to change now & they all seem to have deals at the moment as well both Plusnet & BT is free for the first six months just pay the line rental. BT is also a free hub. Contact your current supplier tell them you want to leave & ask for a MAC code.......Migration Authorisation Code (nowt to do with me honest...) Then contact your preferred new supplier & give them the MAC code. Without it you will be backwards & forwards on the dog.....

Hope that helps
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

cheers guys - bit like mobiles all this sometimes.

Found there is a line in the flat, still active, what plusnet give out for a router and the last two on ebay have gone by with no bids so can get one for about £6, and can have a rolling monthly contract with a decent Gb allowance.

Also found that Mi-Fi from Three gives mobile broadband for up to 5 devices for around £15 a month, although the performance is not the same and the data allowance pretty small.

seb421

Post by seb421 »

BigVeeGrin wrote:cheers guys - bit like mobiles all this sometimes.

Found there is a line in the flat, still active, what plusnet give out for a router and the last two on ebay have gone by with no bids so can get one for about £6, and can have a rolling monthly contract with a decent Gb allowance.

Also found that Mi-Fi from Three gives mobile broadband for up to 5 devices for around £15 a month, although the performance is not the same and the data allowance pretty small.

I have a 15gb per month dongle from three wireless one that too can connect 5 devices its the 2nd edition one not the first slower one this is the black unit with the oled screen, its been a god send when away for any period of time, phone has unlimited Internet but not when teathed as a wireless they dontike you doing that so got the wireless dongle.
Had it 18 month now nearly due up dont think I would get again as I dont use it so much these days, usually lend it mates when they have split with the other half and moved out lol

Sent from the Bat Cave via Cup and String
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

MacV2 wrote:
spider13 wrote:ive just dumped virgin ben a customer for years but lately there broadband has been terrible,so now gone over to sky and its 100 times better
That's funny as I have just sacked sky as they were so shite & gone to BT which is much faster.

I recently dumped BT and went to Post Office and have to report the exact same thing, makes you wonder if they wind your speed down after a while of being with a company.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The lines get slower with every new user who's using the line. Isp's do have a tendency to slow the speed down (traffic calming) at peak hours or when it's exceptionally busy. One of the problems is that as new users join up the line slows down. Or if your using an ISP that piggy backs of the back of BT lines then your doubled up with BT customers. Then you have the ISP's that rent a BT line from them and the same problem arises there with too many users/customers and they just don't bother leasing enough lines to compensate.

I also believe when a new so called faster line comes on the market which costs more, they slow the old ones down to push people into upgrading. It's like they are deprecating the older systems to move ahead with the times and catch up with the rest of Europe.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

have a look on the 3 website,they do a portable wifi dongle that you charge and carry with you...gives you a personal wifi hotspot wherever you are.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

tattoo wrote:have a look on the 3 website,they do a portable wifi dongle that you charge and carry with you...gives you a personal wifi hotspot wherever you are.
That's what i was talking about signal is great inner city but if you take it out in the sticks or camping some place it can be hit and miss at times
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14