General Bike chat
scott02464

Re: Just had my bike rammed and knocked over

Post by scott02464 »

Have you made a good start fixing the damage mate? :-(
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh a couple of little bits like the bar end, I'm holding back on the bodywork.

I'm in two minds of what to do. If I contact my insurance and just by informing them there is a chance my policy can rise, they are not legally allowed to, but it can be increased and disguised under something else. If I let them deal with making a claim, it will defo go up and I loose no claims.

Then I could go down the route Tony mentioned. I would still have to inform my insurance, but the increase should be minimal and then I could do all the dirty work of making a claim. But what a right pain in the butt. Paperwork, photos, statements, getting quotes etc. Even then the claim goes on the database where my insurers can see I have made a claim and this could potentially increase my premium. I could even end up at a loss just in time and fuel costs with running around getting quotes and stuff.

Realistically the damage is minimal and I could just sort it out myself, not inform my insurance and no one would be none of the wiser. I was hoping I might get the guys address from the askmid but I only got the policy number and the insurer. Doh

So I'm thinking sort it out myself, wait on the police to get back to me. Hopefully they will nick him for leaving the scene of an accident, which what they said they would probably do. So he'll have points and a fine at least for that one and will be at a loss. And hopefully I may get his address from any paperwork I may have to fill in, or if he's stupid enough to take it to court. :)

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

cybercarl wrote:Yeh a couple of little bits like the bar end, I'm holding back on the bodywork.

I'm in two minds of what to do. If I contact my insurance and just by informing them there is a chance my policy can rise, they are not legally allowed to, but it can be increased and disguised under something else. If I let them deal with making a claim, it will defo go up and I loose no claims.

Then I could go down the route Tony mentioned. I would still have to inform my insurance, but the increase should be minimal and then I could do all the dirty work of making a claim. But what a right pain in the butt. Paperwork, photos, statements, getting quotes etc. Even then the claim goes on the database where my insurers can see I have made a claim and this could potentially increase my premium. I could even end up at a loss just in time and fuel costs with running around getting quotes and stuff.

Realistically the damage is minimal and I could just sort it out myself, not inform my insurance and no one would be none of the wiser. I was hoping I might get the guys address from the askmid but I only got the policy number and the insurer. Doh

So I'm thinking sort it out myself, wait on the police to get back to me. Hopefully they will nick him for leaving the scene of an accident, which what they said they would probably do. So he'll have points and a fine at least for that one and will be at a loss. And hopefully I may get his address from any paperwork I may have to fill in, or if he's stupid enough to take it to court. :)

You do right mate, it'll end up being more hassle in the long run as you say :-(

Years ago I had a brand spanking new Alfa when I was young(er). Was travelling down a country lane minding my own business nursing a semi in me new car, when I came up to a couple of horse riders. No problem I thought, so I stopped to let them pass me so not to spook to horses. First one went past with a friendly wave and smile. The second one got to about my bonnet area, went foooking stupid span round on its back feet and bolted off, booting my front side panel (I'm still stationary at this point)

A little bit of poo came out (me)

To cut a long story short I ended ip forking out £800 for a new wing and a respray. My insurance found out through me 'ENQUIRING' but not pursuing the claim (my insurance was high enough at the time!!) and it still went up, after I had stumped up outright!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Depends if you're Comprehensive - Couple of years ago mine was knocked over while parked up in a High Street for 5 minutes - someone knocked it over while parking in front of witnesses and then promptly drove off (I didn't really notice as shop workers put it back upright). After reporting the details provided by the witnesses to the police I then spoke to Carole Nash. They were happy to pay out after I worked out a list of damages (mainly cosmetic) with the visiting inspector to keep it under the write off value. My insurers having someone to pursue for my losses didn't effect my no-caims - so still got 10+ years no claims.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My insurance is cheap cheerful 3rd party with a very high excess. It basically just makes me legal. I'm just going to sort it out myself and may possibly, depending on what happens with the police, go down the small claims court route. I'm fed up with looking at the fairing now, so it will be out with the P40 shortly. :roll:

==============================Enter the Darkside
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Carl you may well have already looked through a few sites but here's the CPS site for you. It may help a little.
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road ... _offences/
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF

Post by Image »

I'd still keep the police involved if I were you because you'll get more money if it's proved as intent as you'll get criminal damage instead of acidental damage. Also, you want your rights as a victim for punishment. The police can prosecute them for leaving the scene of an accident and possibly criminal damage. Go for it. Don't let the b8stard get away with it.
Richy

Post by Richy »

Did you find their address?

You'd be able to apply to the DVLA to get it for £2.50

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItO ... G_10016794

Lot's of questions before they'll give out the info though