Odd One This....

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gissmo50

Re: Odd One This....

Post by gissmo50 »

i think im getting somewhere with this and i no longer think it to be carb related, today i stripped down and cleaned the carbs reset the tps to 500ohm and checked that the where balanced which the where but when riding it this morning the bike cuts out starts and back fires like it has been doing and deffo not a carb cough.

When i went to start the bike after cleaning the carbs the bike wouldn't start and when i say this it didn't even turn over no clicking solenoid, Now i know the battery is fully charged and the reg rec was check recently and shown to be good.

I managed to trace the problem back to the Rh switch gear you have to fiddle the kill switch back and forth with the starter depressed until you can catch it and get to to work so i think my bike dying on me while im riding is the kill swtch on its way out seems odd but its all i have to go on right now, any of you guys seen or had this happened??
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

the kill switch is like any part it will wear out .
strip and check its internal condition and replace if necessary .
my friend had similar on his blade and a replacement was fitted and the problem went .
you can get them cheap on ebay
gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

ive just got one for less that 320 so we will see, what i will say is what an improvement setting the tps up right has made to the low down power delivery every time i ride this bike i like it a little more
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

gissmo50 wrote:ive just got one for less that 320 so we will see, what i will say is what an improvement setting the tps up right has made to the low down power delivery every time i ride this bike i like it a little more
yes i just gets better and better .....
but where do you stop (i dont know ) and ive done a fair few mods to mine now and i love it
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

So the bike cut out and wouldn't start then :eek2 well done for tracing it back to the kill switch. Giving the carbs and setting the TPS would not have been a total waste of time though. The bike will run smoother and idle a lot better. Was there a dynojet kit in there as the previous owner said and has it got an after market filter?

With the kill switch they come apart easily enough, maybe give it a squirt of contact spray and make sure the mechanism is working smoothly or is it the wires themselves/a break in the wire? It's ether that or there's plenty of secondhand ones around. Loads on eBay for around a £10 http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... tch&_sop=2

Glad you got it worked out anyway. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

Has a dyno jet kit in there and a KnN filter tos has helped alot and I had the switches apart and cleaned up but no luck so have brought another switch in the hope I'm right

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's more likely to be the sidestand cutout switch, I would have thought.

But if you've already bought the kill switch, see how you get on with that swapped over.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

is there a way to by-pass the side stand switch if it turns out to not be the kill switch?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

gissmo50 wrote:is there a way to by-pass the side stand switch if it turns out to not be the kill switch?
i did it on my 600 .diss connect the plug it should be under the seat and either loop the wires together or not the side stand light will not come on if done right .
but if you do and forget to put the stand up it will have you off on the first left hander you take :cry:
Last edited by lloydie on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I may be wrong but IIRC you can Join the two wires together so they complete the circuit. So you could unplug it at the sidestand, get a bit of scrap wire, strip both ends and put each end in the connections. Or crimp a scotchlock across the wires. :thumbup: I've not done it on the storm but I bypassed the sidestand on my fazer like that!

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

So as usual Mr Mon is correct bike wouldn't start so I gave the stand a wiggle and you guessed it up she fires and every time since the age wont start you wiggle the stand and up she starts, guess I will order a new stand switch aswell lol

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2
Leachy

Post by Leachy »

i had a similar side stand problem 6 mths ago, i shorted the connector block under seat with a loop of wire and then took the switch off (bit of a fiddle getting the wire out!) the stripped the switch and replaced the little springs with new ones taken from cheap clipper lighter their only 3mm long so i got all 3 springs from 1 length.....not had a problem yet! :thumbup:
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

well this has taken another twist i replaced the stand switch its not that i replaced the kill switch its not that, i wiggle the immobilizer wiring and you can cut the bike out and in so i think with how the immobilizer has been mounted to the sub-frame by a PO its degraded the wiring into it and its cutting the power to the bike so ive got another loom on the way to swap out the cut up one and remove the immobilizer totally and the i hope this solves the problem.....
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Fingers crossed mate. Well done on persisting with the problem and not throwing your teddy in the corner. Good luck. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
gissmo50

Post by gissmo50 »

shes my baby couldn't leave her poorly just wouldn't be right :thumbup: