What do you think of this bike?

General Bike chat
Fireman on a Storm

What do you think of this bike?

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

As you know I'm saving for a bike for work. What do you thnk of this? What would you pay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-Honda-VT ... 3789088%26
lanny

Re: What do you think of this bike?

Post by lanny »

Nowt ! Its Been messed about with to much, get a straight bike or one with few mods, you need something reliable and with some fairing protection for a winter commute. Just my opinion though ! :thumbup:
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Seriously....If you want a commuter, get yourself a CB500 and be done with it. I've had 2 for that very reason and they're great.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Fireman on a Storm

leevtr wrote:Seriously....If you want a commuter, get yourself a CB500 and be done with it. I've had 2 for that very reason and they're great.
I want another 1000cc v twin! But I will be commuting. I had a look at a 600 bandit the other day. BUT the money I would have to spend on the bandit convinced me that for a couple of hundred pound more I might as well go down the Storm route again. The V twin grin would more than make up for the few MPG that I'd lose over the bandit. Looking at the bandit made me realise that if I bought it I'd only be wishing I'd got another Storm/V twin. Therefore I thought another month or 2 saving would get me a storm!
Also Storm seam to be lower milage than commuter stuff that for sale.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I agree with Lee :thumbup: CB500 is cheap to insure, parts, fuel and reliable. A good all rounder and plenty of options for luggage if needs be.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

cybercarl wrote:I agree with Lee :thumbup: CB500 is cheap to insure, parts, fuel and reliable. A good all rounder and plenty of options for luggage if needs be.

The other plus is that after riding a smaller bike all week, you really do appreciate the big'un when you do get to ride it.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
darkember

Post by darkember »

leevtr wrote:Seriously....If you want a commuter, get yourself a CB500 and be done with it. I've had 2 for that very reason and they're great.
I agree it will save you loads on fuel.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Enjoy the big V, but do get a good one to start will

Personally the one on ebay looks wrong
Fireman on a Storm

This will be my third Storm hopefully! I used the last 2 for fun, commuting and instructing on. As for mpg a storm will do more than my 2.5 diesel Transporter T4! Using it to commute on is more about saving time getting to my new posting. 30 to 35 mins max on a bike or 60 to 90 mins plus in the van!

I think I am doing a good job of convincing myself to buy a storm. It's just how much and wich one! Also will it be another set of renthals or vfr 800 bars? That's why I looked at this street fighter
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Gav's still got his up for sale http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 15#p231464

==============================Enter the Darkside
Fireman on a Storm

I'll have a look at that on the pc I'm on the phone now. Where is it?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sarf Whales
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
hugeduck

Post by hugeduck »

i commute on my storm, for me its cheaper then a car and the daily commute is fun, unlike commuting in a car which is bloody crap. and if i 'm late i can get to work in 7 minutes 8O
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hi mr fireman
imho if your going for a storm, don't make the mistake i made, i bought a tatty r-reg for £720, it had a short mot and tax, all seemed well to begin with, but after a while the engine is burning oil and i realised it had been rebuilt so many times that there were loads of non standard bolts and screws, and missing fastners and rubbers, i would save up some money and buy the best bike you could afford, have a butchers at that low mileage blue bike for £1400. choose a bike which is close to standard or with a few good mods, cct's, d/b screen, hugger etc etc
there are still some good ones out there, dont bother with the sports red/orange streetfighter. buy cheap buy twice and all that, i should know i've just shelled out for a replacement engine... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
hugeduck

Post by hugeduck »

bigspanishmarty wrote:hi mr fireman
imho if your going for a storm, don't make the mistake i made, i bought a tatty r-reg for £720, it had a short mot and tax, all seemed well to begin with, but after a while the engine is burning oil and i realised it had been rebuilt so many times that there were loads of non standard bolts and screws, and missing fastners and rubbers, i would save up some money and buy the best bike you could afford, have a butchers at that low mileage blue bike for £1400. choose a bike which is close to standard or with a few good mods, cct's, d/b screen, hugger etc etc
there are still some good ones out there, dont bother with the sports red/orange streetfighter. buy cheap buy twice and all that, i should know i've just shelled out for a replacement engine... :(

to freakin right lol, i do that everytime! but with the storm i spent a bit more got a totaly standard low mileage one for 1200 quid (got it down from 1500) had to change the CCT's and give it a service etc but well worth spending the bit extra becuase as soon as bits start to fall off you'll regret it :thumbup: