chateau hedges 2012

General Biker Banter
benny hedges

chateau hedges 2012

Post by benny hedges »

Mmmhh yes, it was a good year....
look what i found in my garden while weeding out stuff....testing my new chainsaw :twisted:

theyre not ripe yet but theres fkin loads of bunches, all down one side in a part of the garden ive not been in all year :)

so far ive found blackberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries, plums, apples (only little tho) and loads of raspberries :)
think i'll make a summer fruits wine when theyre all ripe :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Flatline

Re: chateau hedges 2012

Post by Flatline »

If I knew how to spell it I would blow you a raspberry for showing off :lol: :lol: :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

so far ive found blackberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries, plums, apples (only little tho) and loads of raspberries
Get making some pies then :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

awesome! had a proper look and theyve spread all down the side of the house as well.
i'll be well pissed! :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

very good benny
when i was a kid 11 i think we had a green house in the garden with a very large vine .
and mother made wine every year but couldnt find out why it went as fast as it did .
my brother and i used to get waisted on the stuff as she made it STRONG :twisted:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I assume you were looking for herbs and were a bt dissapointed to find fruit :D
AMcQ
gilson

Post by gilson »

Fantastic find there Benny.

Is this a new house of is it on such a large piece of land that you are only just fining the treasure?

Although it seems it's doing very well, pruning it back a little would spruce it up.

Grapes only form on 1year old wood. Meaning the shoots from last year's growth will bear fruit.

Bear this in mind when pruning and you'll have even more next year.
No bike (yet).
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

nice one i'll remember that.
ive took some cuttings off it as well to plant down the other side of the garden, and pinned some danglers to the wall to help train it to grow where theres more sun.

ive been here 3 years now and first time ive noticed any grapes growing lol... there are some parts of the garden ive never been in!
gardener came this morning to do the hedges at the front & side so i had to get up quick to make sure he didnt chop my vines down!
he said he's got some growing on his trellis but hasnt had any fruit off them yet - i thought maybe they need to be polinated from another plant but your 1 year explanation sounds more like it :)
gilson

Post by gilson »

Most of them are self pollinating but they do need dry days and insects to spread the pollen about. Hence this season being terrible in the UK.

Good luck, seems like its been looking after itself very well so no need for much intervention...

Enjoy the juice.
No bike (yet).
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ripening up very well :)

just tried some and theyre very sweet and juicy :thumbup:

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:Hungry: :Hungry: :beer: :beer: :beer:

:biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Rob

Post by Rob »

Well done :thumbup:

I have an allotment and it's been crap this year with the dodgy weather :(

Leave them much longer and you will be able to make Ice Wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

Tried and bought some of this in Germany. Not normally a sweet white wine fan but it was bloody lovely (and bloody expensive) :lol:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
simon t

Post by simon t »

Hi there. Looks like you may have Muscat grapes there - for eating rather than wine :( We've got a four year old vine growing round our porch. Got a couple of litres of grape juice out of it. That said, the juice seems to be fermenting in the bottle, so we may get something interesting yet :D
gilson

Post by gilson »

All grape juice will ferment.

Farmers in Italy simply crush the grapes in a really crude press that attaches to their PTO. Stalks, leaves and wasps often all pile in.

They just filter it and leave it. The "dust" on the graphs is wild yeast and will naturally ferment the juice. Even after a year, it tastes lovely and is probably lightly alcoholic. Keep it in the dark though otherwise it will go off quickly.

Super stuff.

Get ready to pick them, squash then and wayhay! Next Christmas party round benny's!
No bike (yet).
Richy

Post by Richy »

Easy to turn grape juice into wine, but more to it to make a drinkable product at the end.

Could I recommend http://www.winesathome.co.uk if you want any help or advice on making wine from grapes.. (or any other fermented beverage)

If they taste nice to eat, good chance they are eaters. Most wine grapes tend to be thicker skinned and a fair few seeds inside.