C.C.T Failure but advice plz

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Leachy

C.C.T Failure but advice plz

Post by Leachy »

Hiya peeps, out and about last sunday when climbing uphill out of a slow (30mph) corner a distinct rattle appeared from the engine, soon as i heard it i pulled the clutch and pulled over, i'd got to about 60mph, as i stopped i noticed the bike's not back-firing, chuffing or farting just a metallic knock in time with engine turning,while awaiting recovery i discovered the bike does start normally (apart from the knocking).....ok so a CCT failed!! my question is which cylinder is it most likely to be?? i don't want to strip 1 cylinder to find out it's the other or do i just re-time the bike having replaced both CCT's?? ...... manual CCT's are most definitely on the shopping list,but i would like to get the bike running again on standards before fitting manuals as i don't know whether i'll need the cash for any other damage first........i have 1 new tensioner already so i would only need to purchase 1,then at least i can use the bike while sorting manuals out :crazy:
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
gissmo50

Re: C.C.T Failure but advice plz

Post by gissmo50 »

It's normally the front cylinder that lets go.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

The rear cylinder's a piece of piss to take the rocker cover off (The front is hardly hard work - 15/20 mins). Take it off and give the chain a poke to see if it's all flappy.

That's what i'd do.

You can easily check to see if it's skipped too :).
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

most likley the front cyl, but is sounds like the valves are bent, so you will be able to check and see by the valve clearances. but suggest you take both Cam covers off and look at cam timing and valve clearance
AMcQ
Leachy

Post by Leachy »

Quick update, It was the front cylinder, tensioner gone and the inlet had jumped 2 teeth, once i had replaced tensioner with a new 1 and re-timed it all is fine, NO BENT VALVES!! :clap: lucky i know!! Thanks for all your help, this site once again proves it's worth it's weight in gold :thumbup: Manual Tensioners? Where can i get some? that seems to be the way forward to stop this happening again.
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That was lucky. Two teeth is borderlining bent valves, any more than that and they would have bent for sure.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lucky boy........you sould go do the lottery!

my reccomedation is to do the stopper mod on the new CCT you fitted, and do the rear as well
AMcQ
vardypeeps

Post by vardypeeps »

Just thought I would ask regarding this.

CCT has been getting loud on my VTR and there is definatly some chain slap as the revs drop to idle. I'm going to be replacing the front one with a manual one whilst I wait for the rear one to be delivered.

Would a jumped tooth on the cams create a back fire issue (when cold outside) at idle or might that just be the bike warming up?
Would I be right in thinking one of the valves could be out of time causing this problem? It's not an exhaust back fire but more like back up through the carb?

Thanks in advance.
Rob
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Stop running it if you suspect CCT failure as it can only make it worse. Take the cam covers off to check timing & valve clearances. If you are very lucky then it'll have only jumped a tooth or two. Slap in the manual CCTs as per the guide in the workshop knowledgebase.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

+1 on what wicky said. As for the backfire. It's more than likely an exhaust leak or fuelling issue. Check you vacuum hose is connected on the petrol tap/petcock first as well. :thumbup:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No. no. no.
This is a carb cough, backfire through the carb, nothing to do with the CCT's.
They all do it a bit, and you can feel the tank move as the airbox absorbs the small backfire from the carb into the airbox itself.
Balancing the carbs, new plugs, valve clearances, will all make this happen less often, but it will still happen occasionally all the same.
Fitting a 4 degree ignition advancer seems to stop it, but I can't really recommend that you fit one just for this.

It has nothing at all to do with CCT's and fitting manuals, stoppers or new Honda standard CCT's will not make any difference.
However I recommend that you do something about the cct's before you DO find that one has let go.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mr.john.coates

Post by mr.john.coates »

tony.mon wrote:No. no. no.
This is a carb fart...
Carb farts...love 'em :D
NT650V in Red
VTR1000R in Blue
Pushbike in Yellow
Wife in Bed
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No. no. no.
This is a carb cough, backfire through the carb
Oops I missed the last sentence. Just went back and re-read it. O well cct panic over, that's a good thing. Either get them stop modded or fit manuals to prevent any possible future failures. As for the carb cough I found adjusting the TPS also helps with this. Similar to the advancer.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... or#p222504
What's the bike idle like, is it nice and steady with no fluctuations. And here's how to balance the carbs. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p148551

:fart1: