engine swap & Flat bar conversion

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Kev L

Re: engine swap

Post by Kev L »

Hello mate, thought I might get that one by you, with you over in Spain !! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Kev L wrote:Hello mate, thought I might get that one by you, with you over in Spain !! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
make sure you clean those wheels and bar ends for me mate, i'll be picking them up around the 19th/20th of jan.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

....2013 or some subsequent date???
:lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Kev L wrote:....2013 or some subsequent date???
:lol:
hahahaha cheeky bugger, just be ready to put the kettle on buddy.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good Jarb, as the Americans will have it....
They will run with no exhaust but it don't half lose you power. Tried it down the road once, and it feels seriously gutless.
Probably because the front ex port has gas pushing in as fast as it's going out.

Don't bother, even to scare the MIL. Funny how I have trouble typing those three letters into a pc without my fingers automatically adding an "F".
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I can see why people go for the striped down look, with no back plastics it looks much slimmer, and a bit like a Ducati Monster or a speed triple

AMcQ
AMCQ46

Re: engine swap & Flat bars

Post by AMCQ46 »

Well I plucked up the courage last night to attack the fairing with the dremmel cutting discs to get the clearance for the high bars! I have to say I was bricking it before I started as its a one way modification, but it was a piece of cake and the dremmel makes a nice clean job. I even got both sides looking the same, and the exposed black plastic is both hard to spot AND looks like it is supposed to be there!

tip from Lloydie is to use 2 of the small thin dremmel cutting discs screwed together for strength, they are a lot less abrasive than the bigger grinding disc and dont overheat the plastic and clog up.

2 more problems to fix now:
1) the LH starter / kill switch needs to move inboard furter to pass inside the fairing, but it is as far in as it can go.........need to remove the plastic strain relief boss that supports the wires where they exit and make them exit downwards so I can get the switch right up beside the Master Cylinder mounting clamp
2) need to take the brake lines off and move the banjo fittings round so they run much closer to the fork leg, at the moment they rub on the fairing
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
NHSH

Post by NHSH »

AMCQ46 wrote:I can see why people go for the striped down look, with no back plastics it looks much slimmer, and a bit like a Ducati Monster or a speed triple

I like the Cooper, looks good with the VTR ;)
Cheers mate
You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists for psycho therapy. All I need is cycle therapy
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Some reference pictures for you .

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

cheers Lloydie, that was just what i needed. my bars are obviously sitting higher, or tilted futher forwards.

do you have a lock stop restrictor fitted? if I tilt further back the horn hits the tank
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

No lock stops .
The lh switch gear has been rotated back on the bar as mine did touch the tank and the same with the start button .
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Matching photos

So mine are sitting 10 to 15 mm higher I guess
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

thats some nice clean cuts there al well done :clap: :clap:
NHSH

Post by NHSH »

Looks great, practically can't even tell the difference, especially if you never seen a VTR in close up. If you decide to go back to stock it will not matter a bit! :thumbup:
You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists for psycho therapy. All I need is cycle therapy
AMCQ46

Re: engine swap & Flat bar conversion

Post by AMCQ46 »

Brake lines one rerouted one behind and one in front of the fork, and the kill switch thinned down so it fits inside the fairing on full lock .....and it's all back together. Just need to get my shock back from service and see howit rides.
AMcQ