New owner near Oxford with an Orange one!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Keith

New owner near Oxford with an Orange one!

Post by Keith »

I became the owner of my Orange 1999 48000mile VTR1000F last Sunday after seeing it advertised on fleabay. He mentioned in the listing that he would consider PXing for a bandit which I so happened to have. So after a few texts, emails etc I went over to have a look and after a little chat & testride we did a straight swop. :cool2

I’ve been using it nearly all this week for commuting (Sensibly of course) to work and have come to a few conclusions:

1. It doesn’t need brakes (Engine braking is awesome)
2. My nuts get crushed if I am not careful (Did I mention the engine braking?)
3. The sound is magnificent especially for when carving through stationary traffic. (The open Quill cans do help in that respect)
4. The neighbours have become more chatty. (As in “So it’s you who wakes me up in the mornings is it? It sounds nice though…just too loud!”)
5. The torque of the engine is infectious. In fact I like it so much I begin to shake all over. (I’m still getting used to the vibes compared to the straight four but love the character of the engine)
6. For my size of 6’ 4” I do find the bars too low and need to find a cheap way to raise them.
7. I hate the almost jet black double bubble screen even though it looks almost new. So will try to replace it with another lighter tint DB screen. (swop anyone?)
8. Tank range sucks. I am getting 31.3 MPG at the moment which I expect is about right for a real world figure?

The rear tyre needs replacing asap so need to try find some place local that can do a ride in ride out as I don’t even have paddock stands yet :( . It has been down the road at one point, there is damage to the clutch casing that had been bodged and it'sweeping oil. The steering bearings are knocking so not sure if it’s just adjustment or they need replacing.

After reading a lot of posts in here I am concerned over the CCT’s as I don’t have any history at all for the bike. I have a phobia with engines and don’t want to mess up when doing them. Cycle parts I am totally fine with though. Just looking at getting the bike up to spec so its not laid up during the summer and will work on the cosmetics next winter.

Cheers
Keith
Last edited by Keith on Thu May 02, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virt

Re: New owner near Oxford with an Orange one!

Post by Virt »

Welcome to the forum. From what I can gather most of those conclusions seem to go with the common consensus..

CCT's is best answered by someone who knows what they're talking about (not me) but if you're bike is an orange I'm gonna guess it's pre-2001. If this is the case then you'll also want to update your Regular/Rectifier as the old unfinned ones have a habit of burning themselves out
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome .
Renthals ultra low bars are a god sent . I too an 6f4" couldn't get on with the clipons .
Good luck getting it ready for the nice weather
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Heya :wave: welcome to the forum :)
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

welcome to the nut house
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hi and welcome to the forum, great introduction you have there.

CCT's can go at any time, it's a gamble!

Some links regarding the Cam Chain Tensioners (CCT's)

You can either go for the stop mod http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416
Which is the Honda auto CCT's that are converted to a fail safe. So when it does fail, it don't send the valves crashing.

Or

You go for the full manual conversion, your options are here
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

Then with regards to fitting View Topic
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

They are really not too difficult to change if your fairly confident with a spanner. Just have a good read up on how to go setting the timing. Prepare the job in your head first and ask any questions beforehand.

Plenty of info already on the forum by reading the links above or doing a search for CCT's, timing or tensioners.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the club. all your comments are bang on :thumbup:

CCT stopper is easy although the instructions can sound very complex. there is always the option for one of us to be available on the phone to talk you through any questions.

Bars.......you have variour options from newer model VTRs being a bit better, VFR bars higher again, then there are adjustable bars from many suppliers and finaly putting renthals on...........I went for the later over the winter and i wish I had done it yrs ago,

I have a thread in the workshop showing what I did
AMcQ
Keith

Post by Keith »

My thanks to everyone for their welcomes :biggrin
AMCQ46 wrote:welcome to the club. all your comments are bang on :thumbup:

CCT stopper is easy although the instructions can sound very complex. there is always the option for one of us to be available on the phone to talk you through any questions.

Bars.......you have variour options from newer model VTRs being a bit better, VFR bars higher again, then there are adjustable bars from many suppliers and finaly putting renthals on...........I went for the later over the winter and i wish I had done it yrs ago,

I have a thread in the workshop showing what I did
Yes I have read your thread and do really like the idea of going the renthals route also. Although I am not sure what risers are best to use for this job so will need to look closer into that.
Until funds improve I probably will try going the CCT stopper route although I am far from looking forwards to doing the job due to losing confidence in my mechanical abilities. Normal bike parts I am fine with but when it comes to engines I tend to get half way, find I don't have the correct tools and then give up. :? (Just Google gpz1000rx project and you will see what made me lose confidence in my abilities lol)

Rear tyre is real low so need to get that done asap too.
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Welcome to the Orange club, it is the best colour. I have a pair of VFR bars if you want to buy them at a reasonable cost, they raise the bars by a bit and are fairly easy to swap over.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Welcome to the forum.

packed full of advice and help, although you can't always believe what you read, like this
lloydie wrote:..... I too an 6f4" ....
he omits to mention that is round

welcome again :thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum buddy, it looks like the guys have answered your questions.
as for screens theres lots to choose from, just remember you get what you pay for, heres the best quality screens
puig
fabbri
powerbronze
mra
you can't go wrong with them.
thens theres the middle ground
airblade
and then theres the cheap jobbies on ebay for £20, i've used them and they never fit right.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Wecome aboard buddy
Keith

Post by Keith »

alternative_vtr wrote:Welcome to the Orange club, it is the best colour. I have a pair of VFR bars if you want to buy them at a reasonable cost, they raise the bars by a bit and are fairly easy to swap over.
I have sent you a PM mate :)
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Keith. Just remember VTR modding is just like Pringles. Once you start you just can't stop.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
darkember

Post by darkember »

Hi there & welcome:)