Bikesafe. 19 May. Review

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Miztaziggy

Re: Bikesafe. 19 May. Review

Post by Miztaziggy »

Flatline wrote:
The main thing to do is ride as you would normally, otherwise the guy is unable to offer any advice
Good review Flatty.

How about if your normal riding involves riding at over 100mph? Do they set any boundaries such as it's OK to speed within 'reasonable' limits, or do they just tell you to go nuts?

I really want to do one of these courses with Sarah, I am just worried that it won't be much use as I won't be able to ride as fast as I normally would. I spend most of the time at 80+ and will usually be doing well into triple figures on the straights. I imagine it wouldn't go down very well.
Ckennedy

Re: Bikesafe. 19 May. Booked!

Post by Ckennedy »

I'v been meaning to book one of these courses. I am sure it is only £40 down here for the day. I am going to book it at some point soon. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and it was a good day.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

You would get pulled Chris, and probably sent home

You have to stick to National speed limits, and the route doen't lend itself to more than that really

And confessions of speeding on a forum may come back to haunt you in the future buddy :shh: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Carl, I think you are thinking about the speed awareness cources that you get in place of speeding points [if you are less than 10 to 15% over the limit]. :lol:

I have also been saying I will do one of these courses so need to get my butt into gear as well.

when my brother-in-law did his up in Scotland he said they were OK with speeding as long as it was NOT in 30s, 40s or 50s, and it was appropriate for the conditions............making progress is how the Police will call it...........bit if you are riding like a tw@ I am sure they will give you a bolloking.

I have lead a run with 3 off duty police bikers behind me and I know that is stressful enough, but if they were on their work bikes that would be 10 times worse :eek2
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

when I did a similar thing a while back we were miked up and the wierdest thing was this copper's voice inside my helmet telling me to stop faffing around and 'make some progress'' I think his words wre. We were already doing about 70 on a 50 marked road and overtaking! Just wierd 8O

EDITED - just read yours Al and 'make progress' it was!
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Flatline wrote:You would get pulled Chris, and probably sent home

You have to stick to National speed limits, and the route doen't lend itself to more than that really
Exactly why I haven't done one of these yet. At slow speeds, every bike I have ever had is just uncomfortable and my neck starts to hurt without having the wind resistance to take some of the weight off.

I couldn't imagine anything worse than tottering around for 4 hours paying more attention to my speedo than to the road. I get so bored at slow speed.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Carl, I think you are thinking about the speed awareness cources that you get in place of speeding points [if you are less than 10 to 15% over the limit]. :lol:
Yep your right. I knew it was one of these type of courses.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
geodude

Post by geodude »

Miztaziggy wrote:
Flatline wrote:
The main thing to do is ride as you would normally, otherwise the guy is unable to offer any advice
Good review Flatty.

How about if your normal riding involves riding at over 100mph? Do they set any boundaries such as it's OK to speed within 'reasonable' limits, or do they just tell you to go nuts?

I really want to do one of these courses with Sarah, I am just worried that it won't be much use as I won't be able to ride as fast as I normally would. I spend most of the time at 80+ and will usually be doing well into triple figures on the straights. I imagine it wouldn't go down very well.
You are exactly the type of rider the want to see. :thumbup:

You'll have to reign it in a bit. If you are doing those speeds, how can the observe you safely?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
tasum

Post by tasum »

I can see that Flatty is far too modest to tell you all that the observer was mightily impressed with his riding and couldn't see any aspects that needed improving. :clap: :clap:

He told him that it had been a pleasure to follow him as he was making good progress and taking all the corners smoothly and on the right line.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice to know he's been getting something right after all those years of biking from humble beginnings on the zenith of motorcycle engineering that was the MZ250 (I think :lol: :lol: ) to the real pinnacle on the firestorm (even tho it is silver) :biggrin

Well done Flatty. How much you charging for lessons then?? :D :D
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I don't know for sure but I was always lead to believe you can still speed as you normally would providing its in a national speed limit and not outright dangerous
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
adyf

Post by adyf »

Flatty got told he can ride,you are shitting me!everytime he's infront I nearly run into his rear tyre,.must of bribed him.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

must of bribed him.
No, they hid the Sheep. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Flatline

Update 23May

Post by Flatline »

Further to my review, I forgot to mention that I have been given some bikesafe stickers

One for the front of the helmet and 4 to go on the front of the bike

When I am targeted by a radar gun, the signal reflects back letting the operator know that I have done a bikesafe course

This means that as long as I am not going stupid speeds, it will be ignored

Glad I went :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that would be a good gift............ideal for the monopoly run having a "get out of jail free" sticker
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Re: Update 23May

Post by Miztaziggy »

Flatline wrote:Further to my review, I forgot to mention that I have been given some bikesafe stickers

One for the front of the helmet and 4 to go on the front of the bike

When I am targeted by a radar gun, the signal reflects back letting the operator know that I have done a bikesafe course

This means that as long as I am not going stupid speeds, it will be ignored

Glad I went :thumbup:
Lol if only that were true, that would be ace :D