Conversion to straight bars

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
alternative_vtr

Conversion to straight bars

Post by alternative_vtr »

Hi guys I know AMCQ has done this conversion and a few others so I will read up on the old posts when I find them but I just bought these Image and I assume that apart from trimming my fairing a little they should bolt straight on with a pair of Renthal bars? It won't require different hoses for clutch and brake will it?
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
MacV2

Re: Conversion to straight bars

Post by MacV2 »

It will depend on the lines you have on already.

If you have braided lines installed already they may be long enough, I doubt standard ones will be.

Al will be along shortly to confirm...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

So what benefit does fitting straight bars have?
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

more comfortable. I would also say that if you can not hold yourself on the bike in the "correct" riding position (elbows bent to 90degrees) then raising them up could improve the steering input from the riding because they would be in the more effective riding position. I will admit that is a small guess but I am sure someone will correct me if needed.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

callam_nffc wrote:So what benefit does fitting straight bars have?
If you get wrist pain and pain in the lower back whilst riding then fitting renthals helps .
Since I fitted them I can ride all day without pain :-)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

:p

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

:lol:
darkember

Post by darkember »

I recently fitted a full riser system because I hated riding & peering through the top 10mm of my visor which is always smeared to the sealing jel I use to stop drafts. People say the bike looses its thin lines, I beg to differ & am much happier & far more comfy :D :D :thumbup:

BTW when you get on with the job, take your time as there are many little steps to take to complete the whole. Took me about 8 hrs. Extra time was wasted when I removed the & replaced the clutch hose only to find the new one was too short & the original was the correct one. The previous owner had reverted back to standard but left the longer clutch hose on.

That reminds me if anybody would like a brand new canary yellow Hel braided clutch hose; length 110mm; drop me a PM. Note this will only fit a standard clipon setup.
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

lloydie wrote:
If you get wrist pain and pain in the lower back whilst riding then fitting renthals helps .
Since I fitted them I can ride all day without pain :-)
might be worth looking into at some point, the storm gives me bloody awful pins and needles if im on straight roads in the same position for ages.

does it make you more open to being battered by the wind though, or affect the handling at all?

Id be more confident to try wheelies with straigh bars too :thumbup:
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Callam it be best to try one that has been done already to see it you like it .
alternative_vtr

Am I right in thinking it's just the front brake hoses that will be too short but switching to a Hel or Goodridge standard 2 line setup will do it?
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

alternative_vtr wrote:Hi guys I know AMCQ has done this conversion and a few others so I will read up on the old posts when I find them but I just bought these Image and I assume that apart from trimming my fairing a little they should bolt straight on with a pair of Renthal bars? It won't require different hoses for clutch and brake will it?

the height of the risers and bars combined is the main thing to get right, as this will define how much you have to cut off the fairing and if you need to add longer hoses and perhaps lock stops.

I made my own top yoke conversion and my risers are about 1" high and then I use these with the Renthal ultra low superbike bars [these are not the flat bars which have zero rize and only a back sweep]. that combination works out just right for all the combinations of clearance and cutting.

I had dual line braided hoses already fitted for brakes, and the standard VTR kit I was using was long enough to work with the new bar position. I still have the standard rubber clutch line and it is just OK, but higher bar / riser combo would be too much.

you will need to work out how to route the brake hoses, cut the fairing by 1", extend the horn wireing. No lock stops needed as long as you rotate the bars so they dont hit the tank.

look at the pictures in my engine & bars swap thread
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMcQ
alternative_vtr

Thanks very much, again :plainsmile
Will re look at your posts
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

callam_nffc wrote: does it make you more open to being battered by the wind though, or affect the handling at all?:
yes you are a bit more exposed to the wind, but nothing like having a naked bike. I have fitted a flip screen inplace of teh double bubble and it works well .. sitting at 3 figures on the motorways [in germany obviously] is possible.

as for the handleing, I think it might be better for low to medium speed stuff and equal for really agressive stuff, you have more leverage and you still get great feedback through the bars as to what the wheel is doing. you can compensate for he change in weight distribution by dropping the forks a bit.

if we ever get to ride the A44 at the same time I will give you a go on mine
AMcQ