Re: look who got a vtr

Post by sirch345 »

tbone903 wrote:I like loud. Lol,
If that's the case, I'd hang on to the originals for mot time,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They will not only be loud but will boost top end performance at the sacrifice of bottom end being that short.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tbone903

Post by tbone903 »

I looked again after being told to keep my originals for mot because I didnt see the part that said not for road use so im gonna take another look for some similar ones and maybe a bit longer

All the advice is very welcome tho so thanks guys.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

A few basic tips for you, as you are hunting exhausts...

A VTR tends to destroy CF exhausts by the heat and exhaust pulses fairly quickly if they aren't large enough to have sufficient packaging inside to shield the CF from the heat... Some high end cans are skinned inside with a thin metal tube to keep the CF intact... Altough that makes them heavier... Not a VTR only trait, but common with big twins... I have seen an end cap launch of a Termignioni pipe on a Duc while riding...

If you want LOUD, go for a longer exhaust with a large core through them instead... That will be just as loud, but slightly less annoying, with a more booming sound... And it keeps the same or better performance with only slight adjustments to your carbs...

The shorter the can, the more tinny/agressive the sound becomes, not just louder, since a shorter can cannot kill off the frequencies that are harmfull to the ear... Short cans are not only loud, but annoying, and they will without a single doubt require you to re-jet the carbs as you are most definetly changing backpressure... Doesn't matter what the manufacturer states on their webpages, it's not true... Usually, you loose bottom end grunt, but gain on top end...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
tbone903

Post by tbone903 »

Tweety wrote:A few basic tips for you, as you are hunting exhausts...

A VTR tends to destroy CF exhausts by the heat and exhaust pulses fairly quickly if they aren't large enough to have sufficient packaging inside to shield the CF from the heat... Some high end cans are skinned inside with a thin metal tube to keep the CF intact... Altough that makes them heavier... Not a VTR only trait, but common with big twins... I have seen an end cap launch of a Termignioni pipe on a Duc while riding...

If you want LOUD, go for a longer exhaust with a large core through them instead... That will be just as loud, but slightly less annoying, with a more booming sound... And it keeps the same or better performance with only slight adjustments to your carbs...

The shorter the can, the more tinny/agressive the sound becomes, not just louder, since a shorter can cannot kill off the frequencies that are harmfull to the ear... Short cans are not only loud, but annoying, and they will without a single doubt require you to re-jet the carbs as you are most definetly changing backpressure... Doesn't matter what the manufacturer states on their webpages, it's not true... Usually, you loose bottom end grunt, but gain on top end...
cheers for the advice. its great to know as im quite new to the bike world.....ive got remus cans atm which are quite loud anyway, i just want to change to carbon fibre to go with what im planning on doing to the bike just struggling to find one that looks good (i dont want rolled ends on the cans)

im also looking for a carbon fibre rear hugger with absolutely no luck at the moment ( best place to look?)

also planning on swapping my wheels for black ones.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Heya :wave: welcome to the forums. Orange... my fav colour :thumbup:
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

tbone903 wrote:Well cheers everyone for the making me welcome and for any advice
Congratulations on owning one of the fast Orange ones....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and my fat fingers and thumbs....
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

tbone903 wrote:
Tweety wrote:A few basic tips for you, as you are hunting exhausts...

cheers for the advice. its great to know as im quite new to the bike world.....ive got remus cans atm which are quite loud anyway, i just want to change to carbon fibre to go with what im planning on doing to the bike just struggling to find one that looks good (i dont want rolled ends on the cans)

im also looking for a carbon fibre rear hugger with absolutely no luck at the moment ( best place to look?)

also planning on swapping my wheels for black ones.
Despite all that - I have carbon stubbies - and they sound awesome! 4 years down the line, no cracking. I actually prefer the note too, very percussive...

:smile:

Audi, Vide, Tace

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cliveyandrews wrote:
Despite all that - I have carbon stubbies - and they sound awesome! 4 years down the line, no cracking. I actually prefer the note too, very percussive...

WHAT WAS THAT YOU SAID CLIVEY.......................................................... :lol:

Chris.
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

sirch345 wrote:
cliveyandrews wrote:

WHAT WAS THAT YOU SAID CLIVEY.......................................................... :lol:

Chris.
They're louder than that Chris!

Audi, Vide, Tace

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:lol: :lol:

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

They do sound very deep and nice :-)
tbone903

Post by tbone903 »

im liking clivey's bike,

another thing it the cans on it, ive seen a few with them that high but not seen them being sold.....is it a custom job?

im getting alot of inspiration from this forum so who knows what it'll look like with a few thousand spent on it :lol:
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

tbone903 wrote:im liking clivey's bike,

another thing it the cans on it, ive seen a few with them that high but not seen them being sold.....is it a custom job?

im getting alot of inspiration from this forum so who knows what it'll look like with a few thousand spent on it :lol:
Get yourself some custom link pipes. Mine were made by JAC exhausts, he has the pattern and can bend to order.

http://www.jacexhausts.co.uk/

You might have to shorten the cans.

You then need some spacers for the pillion footrests machined, and need to get some hangers made.

Simple job, just lots of engineering....

Audi, Vide, Tace