Hello from Canada

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
justshad

Hello from Canada

Post by justshad »

Just got into riding bikes beginning of this year. Started with a 2005 Ninja 500 and then upgraded to a 2000 vtr 1000. From all the research I have done this is by far the best forum out there, lots of useful information, so thank you very much. From doing a bit of research I have already learned this bike has the biggest carbs in the industry, however my carb skills suck. The previous owner fitted a KN air filter and some after market exhaust with silencers. I ran without the silencers for a few days, and noticed the bike ran progressively worse. Would stall at sudden stops was the main one, always fired back up. I have since reinstalled the silencers and bumped up the idle, which is my first question, what is recommended for idle ?? With the air filter and exhaust, do I need to jet ? I have heard rich is ok for these bikes, lean is very bad. And I guess my next question would be what is the best way to tell rich/lean ? With silencers out, when I would choke in the morning, it was like it had no affect. Since installing silencers, been better. Sounds to me like I'm hovering on the border line ?
The transmission seems to make almost like a scratchy noise under certain load, applying brakes or clutch has no affect, its really just under certain load. Previous owner said he had a mechanic look at it, said it was fine. I know the CCT's were changed, however do not know if a manual one was put in or just the Honda factory style. Guess the only way to tell is tear it down and do the fail safe mod ?
lloydie

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome :-) .

I'd fit a standard (oem or a generic ) air filter back in unless its been set up to run that air filter .

Idle - 1200 rpm seams best on mine

The only real way to tell if its lean or rich is to pop it on a Dyno
simo

Post by simo »

Hi and welcome . Yes you've joined the wright Forum. Plenty of knowledge on here and willing people to help out.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Hello :wave:
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard justshad :thumbup:

As Lloydie said, a dyno run would tell you a lot. I take it you are referring to the baffles when you mention silencers :?: they are the short things that go in the end of the silencers to quieten it down (or cans as the silencers are also know as).

Balancing the carbs is also another thing that could help on the cutting out bit, especially if that's not been done for a while.

Chris.
bikernut43

Post by bikernut43 »

Welcome, i'm a newb' here too, although no longer in .Ca, where abouts are you?
ImageImage
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum buddy, another thing to consider doing isto rest your throttle position sensor to as close to 500ohm as possible, read thru the workshop section about the cct's, its easy to spot the difference between standard and manuals, manuals have a longish bolt on show , with a nut on theend of it, honda oem cct's look like a minature spaceship.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And how do you know what a spaceship looks like. :biggrin

A quick welcome from me. :beer: :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

Because, like all great men, pineapple loves Star Trek :D

Welcome :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9505, written in ASCII using an even parity bit and spoofing the IP of the White House
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
darkember

Post by darkember »

Hi there & welcome. Yes I also find that having the DB killers in the bike it runs better & a little richer as well. The K&N filter will have a dramatic effect if the carbs have not been jetted to suit. As said before try the stock filter with the db killers in & see what it feels like. If it performs worse then it is a sign that the carbs have been jetted for the K&N. In many cases it will run better as plonkers just throw the K&N on thinking they are going to get an improvement; in reality without doing the whole shebang its not worth it as the bike will run badly. The dyno will tell you whats what if you can swallow the bucks for it.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Hello and welcome to this great forum :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
oorwullie43

Post by oorwullie43 »

Welcome, it's the rite place to get help and advise!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along good sir.. :beer:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club fella
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
justshad

Post by justshad »

Right now in Edmonton Alberta. Im not too sure what we have here available for a dyno. To be honest, I havent even opened the air box to confirm it is a KN filter. Just basing that on what previous owner told me. Being it is the end of August, riding season is almost over. Plan to purchase jet kit over winter, just not sure as to what stage will be required. If i had to guess, between the pipes and air filter, a stage 3 would be recommended. But no way to tell till I pick one and start.

I will do TPS sensor mod, but going in kinda blind. Its hard to mod something until u know how it works. This bike is carbed, so it's not being run by a computer, can anybody explain a lil bit more indepth as to what changing the values does exactly ?
sirch345 wrote:Welcome aboard justshad :thumbup:

As Lloydie said, a dyno run would tell you a lot. I take it you are referring to the baffles when you mention silencers :?: they are the short things that go in the end of the silencers to quieten it down (or cans as the silencers are also know as).

Balancing the carbs is also another thing that could help on the cutting out bit, especially if that's not been done for a while.

Chris.
Exactly, baffles. We call them silencers.